Official GIGABYTE Forum

G1 Assassin X58 Slow boot Kingston HyperX SSD

G1 Assassin X58 Slow boot Kingston HyperX SSD
« on: December 04, 2011, 06:48:01 pm »
I have a new G1 Assassin MB and a new Kingston Hyper X SSD.  I had this exact same problem on a Mushkin Chronus Deluxe SSD. Both drives received a Fresh install of Win 7. So I am 99% sure its not the SSD. I am leaning toward the Marvell drivers.

I installed a fresh Win7 64bit on the SSD while in ACHI mode in BIOS.SSD was plugged into the 0 port/White of the motherboard. With 1-4GB stick installed and NO other drives in the system.  Everything seamed great. I installed all drivers from a USB stick. I pulled latest off Gigabyte page.

It started taking close to 2min to boot.  Start-up hangs on the windows blue logo screen for over 40 seconds.

I have removed each device from my system. One at a time to see if I had a piece of hardware failing and causing my problems. that did not spped up boot times. I changed the sata cables. That didn't do it. Once I moved to one of the black 3GB Sata ports, things sped up. But not huge a difference. Instead of a 40+ second hang time it dropped to 18+ seconds hang time. This is with IDE enabled in the BIOS. So I switch to ACHI. Back to 40+ seconds. So I switch back to IDE mode. and we are back to 18+ seconds.

I really want to get the 6GB ports working. This was the ONLY reason for purchasing this board. If  they don't work. I my as well go back to my old board. At least the old board gave me a 25 second boot time. I just couldn't get read time up to par.
 By the way I do see correct read/write times when testing with ATTO benchmark. But that's useless with out the boot times

I have uninstalled ACHI Marvell drivers and reinstalled. Disabled in windows and let windows reinstall drivers. Nothing helps. It there a bug with these chips?

One of the other problem I see is my folders are very slow to open. So after a restart I have a 50/50 chance things seem normal. What I do id click on a file/folder in a hdd and it seems like nothing happens. then all of a sudden iI hear a click and the folder opens. I have replace key board and mouse twice to no avail. It another b ug with this MB.

Please help!
G1 Assassin F5b
Intel i7 990X
24Gb Patriot Viper Xtreme 1600
2 Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD
2 Nvidia GTX 460 - MK-13 coolers
Cooler Master 1200 Silent Pro, Gold PSU
LG Blue ray
Corsair H70 Cooler Push/Pull
Cooler Master Trooper Chassis
2 2TB Segate HDD,2 1TB Samsung HDD,1 Raptor 10k - Scratch

teknology9

Re: G1 Assassin X58 Slow boot Kingston HyperX SSD
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 07:15:03 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum,

There have been a number of forum members who have tried to benefit from the GSATA ports in order to get SATAIII speeds of the marvell chip, if I remember rightly the SATAII ports perform better on this MB. There is also the option of a RAID card like the Highpoint 640 which has 2 controllers, and Marvell chips, which deliver better speeds if you wish to go down the RAID route especially if 1 SSD is connected to each controller on the RAID card.

Though the RAID card does increase the boot time but flies once up and running.....so there is a trade off there.

If you use the search function on the forum you will find posts similar to this one:

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,1617.0.html

and this one:

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,5560.0.html

Teknology9

« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 07:26:06 pm by teknology9 »
Windows 10 Home Edition
NZXT Phantom
Seasonic Platinum 1000w
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Corsair 16GB 2666
Gigabyte B460M AORUS PRO
MSI GeForce GTX 1650 D6 Gaming X 4G
i5- 10400
Samsung 970 Evo Plus - 250GB
Samsung 830 SSD - 250GB
PC building.........it's no fun if it's easy!!!

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 09:13:54 pm »
Thanks for the reply teknology9 . That just plain sucks! I thought this board had a different Marvell controller NOT the 9128. I was under the impression it had a newer version the Marvell 88SE9182. That is the ONLY reason I purchased. The only problem as far as I could tell was the lan controller. and the was fixed with the latest driver.
 The only open port I have open is a PCI-E everything else is blocked.

I have tried latest BIOS F5b, to no avail! Also removed ram and tried three different sets of ram.

Is there a better way to remove all drivers? try to start over. I have a feeling the dual BIOS is saving these crap setting. I'm not even sure that makes sense.

I am tired of spending large sums of money for manufacturers that cant get there crap together... Seems everyone one of them have issues.

If anyone has any other incite, it would be much appreciated.
 thanks again

G1 Assassin F5b
Intel i7 990X
LG Blue ray

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 09:25:28 pm »
Thanks for the reply teknology9 .
 Is there a better way to remove all drivers? try to start over..
If anyone has any other incite, it would be much appreciated.
 thanks again

Hi G1-Assassin,

Normaly in windows use a Device Manager...

But he exist others softwares...

Please completely remove older version driver first with :
Drivers sweeper : http://phyxion.net/Driver-Sweeper/Driver-Sweeper/Version-3-2-0/

and soft for  Windows Registry :
Ccleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
jv16 PowerTools 2011 http://www.macecraft.com/downloads/jv16pt_setup_hb.exe
Wise Registry Cleaner Pro http://www.wisecleaner.com/soft/WRCPro.exe

Check on Hard Drive if you have a trace of deleted, removed software in folder.
Use Windows search function for find it.

and restart the computer.

teknology9

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 10:19:09 pm »
@G1 Assassin

Hi, what i have written below may help you if you are to embark on a rebuild.....hope it helps.

Have a look at this post.....you have probably been building PC's for years but have a read of this up to the point when the main components are assembled and the PC is booted to the splash screen......it may help.

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,5704.0.html

Well you could do a clean install of the OS and that way you have removed the drivers and then reinstall them.

1.chipset

2. LAN

3. Audio

4. USB

Reboot after each one....though it has to be said there is no particular order.

Then of course, which I'm sure you know, check on Device Manager to see that everything is in place.

Is the firmware for your SSD's the latest?

UPDATE

I thought this board had a different Marvell controller NOT the 9128. I was under the impression it had a newer version the Marvell 88SE9182.

It does have the 88SE9182......here:   
http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3752#sp

Teknology9
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 10:27:16 pm by teknology9 »
Windows 10 Home Edition
NZXT Phantom
Seasonic Platinum 1000w
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Corsair 16GB 2666
Gigabyte B460M AORUS PRO
i5- 10400
Samsung 830 SSD - 250GB

Fatman

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 10:24:28 pm »
Try running off the intel ports and run ATTO agian........Marvel has been a problem.

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 07:53:11 am »
 Thanks for all the input guys. I finally just got fed up and reinstalled a fresh copy of Win 7. Bios was set to IDE mode, and SSD was plugged into Marvell ports. Well I have been reinstalling all my drivers, and software one at a time and restarting each time.

After a fresh install. No other programs on system. Win7 boot times were 2.5-3 seconds in IDE mode.
 I have been timing each restart. Win 7 is up to 15-18sec now with a lot of software and all drivers installed. I did download the Marvell drivers which sped up my read/write speeds a bit. Still not advertised but fast enough to live with.

Atto Benchmark speeds are 353mb write and 343 read. Times are with BIOS set to IDE mode. If I switch to ACHI mode in BIOS I get an immediate BSOD. Its so fast I can barley see it. I am guessing this is due to the fact that I installed with BIOS set to IDE mode.

Now I have 105 Windows updates to install. Fingers crossed Windows doesn't  - F -  me...
G1 Assassin F5b
Intel i7 990X
LG Blue ray

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 07:53:30 am »
I have just read through all the preceding posts and most of mthe info seems to be correct. As youm mentioned the Marvell controller is an updated version of the 9128 that gave so much trouble originally and not even just for Gigabyte, it was industry wide! I haven't had a chance to personally try out the upgraded chip but from what I have heard it does perform better but I think it still has issues and you are better using the first Intel port for the boot SSD.  Also make sure that it is running in AHCI mode. I would suggest putting the optical drive on the Marvell controlled port and setting that to IDE mode.

EDIT as you have just posted before me.

Swapping to AHCI mode will incur a BSOD if it was installed in IDE mode. You would either need to do a re-instal in AHCI mode or do a registry hack.  Trust me it is worth swapping over to AHCI mode for the extra performance.

How to change IDE mode to AHCI after OS installation.

1.Exit all Windows-based programs.

2.Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

3.If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.

4.Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesMsahci

5.In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.

6.In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.

7.On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

After this you’ll have to restart your computer, go to BIOS and enable AHCI. When you log in to Windows again, you’ll notice the installation of drivers for AHCI. Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 07:59:00 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

teknology9

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 10:26:43 am »
Hi G1,

For a more in depth explanantion please read this post here:

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,6721.0.html

UPDATE

What have you set your power options to in windows?

teknology9
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 01:24:41 pm by teknology9 »
Windows 10 Home Edition
NZXT Phantom
Seasonic Platinum 1000w
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Corsair 16GB 2666
Gigabyte B460M AORUS PRO
i5- 10400
Samsung 830 SSD - 250GB

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 10:08:34 pm »
 Thanks for the Hack Dark. I ran through it and it worked. All went well. I was able to boot in ACHI and get 550mb read and 490mb write speeds.  The biggest slow down was when windows ran all its updates. That slowed me down from a 12 sec boot time to a 22 sec boot time. So there must be some way to improve on that.
I am now seeing that Windows is the main cause of the slow boot. Well most of it anyway. Well it added 8-10sec to the boot time.Obviously having Adobe Creative Suite 5, Adobe Lightroom, Pinnacle HD, etc. These programs all slow the boot times down. I did go into msconfig and shut off everything but my antivirus. Still took 39-43seconds to boot Windows in ACHI mode. Not sure where to make changes to Win7 boot times.

Though, IDE  mode starts up about 17-20 sec faster than ACHI mode. Trade off is faster read/write time in ACHI mode. So I guess I should stay there. As I am mainly looking for fastest rendering times.

Thanks Tech9, My power settings are set to High Performance. HHD Off = never, Monitors shut down in 15 minutes. system runs 24/7.
 Teck9 I am always leery of downloading software/freeware. I worry I will get spyware. I am a bit of a weeny when it comes to that stuff...lol So I have not yet ran through your programs.

I am still having a small issue with the Folders. Only folders in Windows. As I open Computer, Open my Photo hdd, than a specific folder, and finally a pic. each click of the mouse takes 2 seconds to happen.  So I click on the folder/file and nothing appears to happen. Then, while counting a click and folder opens. Anyone, anyone...lol This one has me baffled. I do have the BETA BIOS installed, F5b. Maybe I should go back and use F3 Bios.

By the way, someone stated that I may be an accomplished computer builder. To be honest I am very much a novice. I am learning and learning very quickly, well expensively...lol I have only been building computers since  the end of 2009. I have learned alot, but am by no means that good at it. I really do appreciate all the help. This is my first Gigabyte Mother board. I have built 1 MSI, 2 EVGA, and several Asus boards, 4 to be exact. I do tend to overlook things I may already know. It always helps to be reminded.

I was stuck on another build. It also has an SSD. That one boots from a dead cold start into windows in 25 seconds. But has NO programs on it...lol Took me awhile to stop comparing the two.
G1 Assassin F5b
Intel i7 990X
LG Blue ray

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 07:20:33 am »

I was stuck on another build. It also has an SSD. That one boots from a dead cold start into windows in 25 seconds. But has NO programs on it...lol Took me awhile to stop comparing the two.

That's the thing. It is easy to fall into that trap and look at a fresh system with no baggage and another that is well cluttered and compare the two. Of course it doesn't work as all these extra programs slow down boot times. The security ones are some of the worst in as much as they not only want to load but also check as they are loading.

Don't forget boot time is not really that important for most people as they probably only do it once a day whereas fast drive access etc is something that is being used all the time and much more important.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

teknology9

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 08:45:24 am »
Hi G1,

Have a look through this link concerning SSD's and see if anything grabs you.

http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/

teknology9
Windows 10 Home Edition
NZXT Phantom
Seasonic Platinum 1000w
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Corsair 16GB 2666
Gigabyte B460M AORUS PRO
i5- 10400
Samsung 830 SSD - 250GB

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 11:27:47 am »
Hi all,  ;)

Just be careful about what you read on the forums.

Against to verify the information before implementing them.

Apply the rule journalistic :  have at least three (3) detached souce that may confirm your information.

Gloup-Gloup

teknology9

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 11:45:22 am »

Hi all, 

Just be careful about what you read on the forums.

Against to verify the information before implementing them.

Apply the rule journalistic :  have at least three (3) detached souce that may confirm your information.

@Gloup_Gloup

I was given the link I have posted by absic. I think you also need to pay attention to what you state on the forum re warranty, for example, so it is clear and everyone has the correct information.........3 years from the time of manufacture...not purchase. ;)

The link also contains information about the AHCI "hack" which DM describes in his post.....so.....before you post read through the link....as I obtained it through a trusted source.

Teknology9
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 11:52:07 am by teknology9 »
Windows 10 Home Edition
NZXT Phantom
Seasonic Platinum 1000w
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Corsair 16GB 2666
Gigabyte B460M AORUS PRO
i5- 10400
Samsung 830 SSD - 250GB

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 06:38:43 pm »
Hi All,

Oh my God, I was talking to myself.
That's why I did not quote.
Sorry for the misunderstandings caused by my message.
In fact it's just a general recommendation that I wanted to share with you all, not anyone in particular.

The fact give by teknology9 (warranty time...) is a good exemple for me. Sorry again.

Gloup_Gloup
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 06:40:40 pm by Gloup_Gloup »