Official GIGABYTE Forum

Installing Memory ? ? Win XP Shut Down During Fresh Install ??

Installing Memory ? ? Win XP Shut Down During Fresh Install ??
« on: December 07, 2011, 08:58:41 pm »
Hello all
I'm a newbie a this is my first post . . . Its kinda dual but not really .. one solution can probably solve both of my concerns I hope. I have never overclocked and can address that at a later date.

Hardware: motherboard=GA-EX58-UD4P (Rev:1.0)  Memory= G.Skill F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM ( 3 sticks of 2GB = 6GB); CPU= i7-950 LGA1366; Power Supply= OCZ ZS Series 650W  HDD= Seagate 7200rpm, 400GB; Video Card=Galaxy GeForce GT 430 PCI Express.

History: I first try to build this system using G.Skill F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ, I replaced this memory with the above listed memory.

1) I am confused concerning the difference between Dual Channel Configuration and 3 Channel Configuration ? ? Which memory do I have? I can install according to the users manual if I could figure this out ??    2) Do I have to set the timing for this memory I am using ( CL-8-8-8-24  1.6v), or is it plug n play will the Bios adjust it or what ever ? ?  3) During my previous Win XP install, it would shut down  completely during the installation.  This build is out of the case on top of a wooden tale. With the new memory install it might solve the installation  problem ! !   I am am all ears (eyes)

Thanks - hap

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
Re: Installing Memory ? ? Win XP Shut Down During Fresh Install ??
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 12:03:55 am »
Hi henryap,  ;)

Ok when you install Win XP, just use a One (1) stick of RAM.
Because Windows do not like seeing a multiple stick of RAM, at the installation time.

After finish and good install of Windows, you have a possibility to add RAM.

Single Channel is simple, just one stick of RAM installed.
DDR3_1 or DDR3_3 are standard place.

Dual Channel is a situation when you installed 2 stick of RAM in the same color of Bank of Memory.

On your motherboard you have 6 slot-Bank of memory...
your are in Dual Channel, when you use a :
DDR3_1 and DDR3_3 or
DDR3_3 and DDD3_5 or
DDR3_2 and DDR3_4 or
DDR3_4 and DDR3_6
Color Blue indicate a standard place.

But if you have 4 stick of RAM, use
DDR3_1 and DDR3_3 and
DDR3_2 and DDR3_4

Tree Channel is more simple...
You use 3 stick of Memory and place on :
DDR3_1 and DDR3_3 and DDR3_5 or
DDR3_2 and DDR3_4 and DDR3_6

=========================
Picture of your motherboard:
http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/product/2/2986/1067.jpg

About your Manual :
http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-ex58-ud4p_e.pdf
See paper page 7 and 16.

I add here a picture..

Gloup_Gloup
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 02:33:26 am by Gloup_Gloup »

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 01:21:07 am »
No help for the OP... I just encountered this on my 1st Gigabyte board:

>> Dual Channel is a situation when you installed 2 stick of RAM in the same color of Bank of Memory. <<

On every other board I've installed over the years each channel had it's own color and the slots were consecutive... 1-2-3-4... and the colors alternated. For dual-channel you stuck the DIMMS next to each other in 1-2 or 3-4. On my new GA880GA-UD3H build it kept coming up as single channel. Sniffing around I saw another post that the slots ran 1-3-2-4. Stuck the DIMMS in slots 1 & 3 and it's now running dual-channel. Is Gigabyte the only one doing this?!?

TL

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 02:43:47 am »
 Stuck the DIMMS in slots 1 & 3 and it's now running dual-channel. Is Gigabyte the only one doing this?!?

TL

Hi TLMichell  ;)

If you take a time for visite a Gigabyte.com, you seeing many model of motherboard have this situation.

Even on my GA-P35-DQ6 made in 2007, it is Dual Channel :
 DDRII_1 and DDRII_3 or
DDRII_2 and DDRII_4.
There is not three (3) channel on the motherboard.

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 04:04:39 am »
Thanks for the support, it still shut down while in the CMOS it runs for 2-3 mins then without warning it shuts down,it does not reboot it just stay off.  I have one stick of ram in socket 1.    This is strange as it is not confined to the XP install! !

Thanks

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 05:05:28 am »
Hi herryap,  ;)

Important : Before installing or remove a stick of RAM, make sure to turn off the computer AND unplog the power cord. To prevent damage to RAM.

Have you tried to place a stick of ram in other Bank of Memory.
It is not forbidden to do so. Try with each stick of RAM, one by one, in each slot (bank of ram).

Maybe a stick of RAM have a problem. Like a bad insertion of RAM in Bank of Memory.
Each stick of RAM have a notch ( see your manual around page 16) so it can only fit in one direction.
So if there were one or more attempts to install the ram in reverse position, even just a little strong press on the RAM, is enough to cause damage to the RAM (at the contacts).

Maybe you have a problem with a Bank of RAM (Slot)

Remove a stick of RAM, check if in a slot, if he have a dust, scrap of paper or any small things.
Use a Flash Light, if needed.

Finaly when you inserted Check if a RAM are good inserted on slot.
The clips at both ends of the socket will snap (Normaly you  Hear a sound like click), into place when the stick of RAM is securely inserted.

Gloup_Gloup

« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 05:22:41 am by Gloup_Gloup »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 06:30:47 am »
Hi and welcome.

Firstly did you check that the memory that you purchased is compatible with your motherboard via the online QVLs ? If not that is your first job.

GSkill: http://gskill.com/configurator.php

If it turns out to list your motherboard as compatible then the next thing is to test the memory. This is a long job but critical.

Please follow these instructions exactly.

I would suggest that you download and run the latest version of  Memtest86+ to check your RAM first.

Memtest86+        http://www.memtest.org/

Insert one stick of memory in slot 1 and run Memtest on it for at least 10 complete loops/cycles and if there are no errors then swap it over with the next one and continue untill you have checked all  modules.

If you have any errors the module is faulty.

If you have any faulty modules you will have to return the whole kit as they are matched.

Post back when you have done that with the results.

Make sure that you mark each module so that you can recognise them.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 07:58:36 am »
Problem Solved: CPU Heat-sink was not seated correctly allowing for air to alter the temperature or something.  I reseated the heatsink it has not stopped installing, at this point I am loading from the Gigabyte CD, with one stick of ram.   Thanks again to everyone. Newbie, will return. . .  LOL

Thanks very much hap  ;D 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 08:24:17 am by henryap »

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 08:39:43 am »
>> Thanks for the support, it still shut down while in the CMOS it runs for 2-3 mins then without warning it shuts down,it does not reboot it just stay off.  I have one stick of ram in socket 1.    This is strange as it is not confined to the XP install! ! <<

I just went through that kind of hair-pulling fun. Friend's 'puter turned off every time XP tried to load. Wouldn't even boot in Safe Mode. Ruled out software and found a corrupt MBR. Rebuilt that and the boot sector and found some bad clusters... figure the hard drive was flaky. Replaced that and did a fresh XP install and ran into the same thing. Swapped out for a known good PS, same thing.  Tested RAM and it came out clean so I was down to either the mainboard or processor. Nothing visible on the mainboard... it was an old dual core 939 setup so it was overdue to be upgraded anyway.

>> Problem Solved: CPU Heat-sink was not seated correctly allowing for air to alter the temperature or something. <<

I was wondering about temps in my troubleshooting, the heat sink was almost invisible and totally clogged with crud as were the cooling fans and air intakes in the case. The CPU was running 50C according to the BIOS before cleaning everything out. After cleaning the temp dropped to 28C. I wouldn't think 50C would be catastrophic. Migrating my stuff into her case was the impetus to my build with the X6 and GA880 in the first place. Any excuse for an upgrade <g>

Glad you found your problem.

TL