Official GIGABYTE Forum

Is there a way to know your bios version?

Is there a way to know your bios version?
« on: October 28, 2009, 04:54:54 pm »
I recently purchased a MA790X-UD4P motherboard along with an AMD Phenom II x2 AM3 550 3.1ghz, and wasn't sure if it was supported. It claims to be supported under F4 bios, but being unable to update to that (since I have no other AMD chips... I just made the jump) I can't tell if my PC won't boot because it's not supported under bios or if it's simply a hardware problem itself. It cyclically boots every 7.5 seconds. Anyway, I thought it might be my PSU, so I am RMA'ing it. I don't think it's the CPU since that is ultra-rare. Regardless, hoping some of you could lend some insight. Thanks! :)

Pottypete

Re: Is there a way to know your bios version?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 05:28:59 pm »
Hi,
Usually it means cpu is not properly recognized and running at some odd clock frequency. But it may allow you to run Qflash?
Ask Gigabyte to send you an updated bios chip to swap out with your current one,
Do a google search or ebay - there are people that will sell you  bios chips for your specific mobo with the latest bios,
Buy the cheapest  supported cpu, reflash, then flog it on,
Would your supplier flash it for you, thats, if you bought it all from the same place?

R_N_B

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 05:58:15 pm »
All that you really need to do is go in to a local PC shop (not PC World) and ask one of the lads working there to just flash your bios for you. They will most certainly have a CPU or twenty laying around. We certainly do. ;D most of the time they will do it for free anyhow. That might save you a world of hassle. Good luck.

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 02:37:22 pm »
Will do.
Next question is concerning the "Dual Bios" set up for any gigabyte motherboard...
Is there a way to change the bios version on the second "back up bios" after the first successfully boots? Like, can I copy settings from one to another? If not, I may just have to invest in an extra CPU that can run on factory bios.
Maybe just swap the chip from the main to the back-up then re-update the bios on the main?

I'm just curious about this so I can avoid having to buy a second processor if at all possible.

Beekeeper

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 06:57:46 pm »
Ask Gigabyte to send you an updated bios chip to swap out with your current one

it won't work as bios chip is soldered, not in the socket. so any easy swapping will not be possible.

Next question is concerning the "Dual Bios" set up for any gigabyte motherboard...
Is there a way to change the bios version on the second "back up bios" after the first successfully boots? Like, can I copy settings from one to another? .....................

yes, just press Alt + F12 while POST
“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”