Official GIGABYTE Forum

small pcie1st slot in GA-990FXA-UD3 not detecting TV card?

small pcie1st slot in GA-990FXA-UD3 not detecting TV card?
« on: December 12, 2011, 02:49:17 am »
After a day of converting all my drives to GPT for UEFI,  not fun, i finally got my 3tb drive working and loaded my SSD drive with windows 7 and all my drives converted.  Which means reformatting and losing whatever i had on it as i didn't have time to back everything up.  But it all works now in AHCI mode  so i'm pretty happy (a whopping +4 points on the windows experience meter for hard drive performance over IDE mode LOL).  The only thing not working is my hauppage 1250 TV card in the short pcie slot.  It's not even detected.   Is there a bios setting that sets this first slot on?  I am using the 2 pci-express 16 slots for SLI.   It was supposed to be my faster gaming rig with FX8120 and SLI and TV, but it's not working out that well.  Anyone get this first slot working?   thanks in advance.   Back to downloading BF3 and L4D2 again LOL.  
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 11:21:10 am by absic »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: small pcie1st slot in GA-990FXA-UD3 not detecting TV card?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 11:34:57 am »
Hi there,

I vaguely remember a similar post but can't find it now and I'm not sure what the outcome was so.... not much help there! (but I'll keep searching)

First off, there are no BIOS settings, that I am aware of for enabling or disabling the PCIe Slots.
Which revision is your motherboard?
What BIOS version are you running?
Have you tried the TV card in one of the other PCIe slots?
As you are running an SLI configuration this could be an issue (I'm only guessing at this as I don't use SLI) as a process of elimination does the TV Card work if you are only using one GPU?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 03:34:19 am »
thanks for the reply.

yes, i'm SLI'd.   Mainly built this rig for low cost gaming.    I have an FX-6100 but ordered a 8150 on cybermonday.     

Here's my setup.

i have 2 Asus GTX-460's.
850watt corsair 850tx pwr supply.   

I"m running 1 3TB hard drive from hitachi and a WD 1TB, and an OCX Solid3  SSD to boot from which is 120gb.
running 16gb of DDR3 1600
And it wasn't fun redoing all my drives from IDE mode to AHCI, but i gained 4 windows experience points on my HD's LOL.

Anyways, running F6e. just to try. .i still have F5 too which it came with my UD3 rev is 1.1.

I can't try another PCIe slot unless i take one of the video cards out, which i might do.  I know the TV card works.  I just took it out of another
1100T system that i'm running as well.    I want it moved to this computer as i have more storage here to record shows. 
Anyways, thanks, if you can find something that'll be great.  I'll do some searches as well.   But it's weird if the external PCIe slot gets disabled
if in SLI, but who knows.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 07:14:57 am »
.....  But it's weird if the external PCIe slot gets disabled .....

I don't know if it is just  an error  or I am missing something here but perhaps you could clarify please.

I would agree with absic though and remove one of your GPUs for now and test with only the basic setup. You will need to make sure that the BIOS setting for the graphics card is pointed at the GPU not the TV card.

Make sure that you have all the latest BIOS and drivers for the chipset installed before you start testing.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 04:20:28 am »
yeah, that was weird wording.   By external i meant the one on the far right labeled PCIEX1_1  it's almost in the center of the motherboard.   But with my 2 GPU's.  it's the only slot exposed LOL.   Yeah, i'll def try taking out one of the GPU's. maybe this weekend.