Official GIGABYTE Forum

ga 990fxa-ud3 very slow wont post

ga 990fxa-ud3 very slow wont post
« on: December 27, 2011, 03:09:07 am »
I purchased the ga 990fxa-ud3 motherboard in a 6 core AMD processor and 2x 4gb  bundle. built the computer and installed my old HD with xp SP3 ann a 2TB storage HDD.

turned it on and it posted no problem. loaded all drivers and used it for a couple of weeks. Worked excellent . Skyrim was rocking on it. Then yesterday I tried loading LA Noire and it froze on the splash screen. I couldnt get it to shut down so I had to shut off the computer.

It wouldnt post after that even in safe mode. I figured it was time for a clean windows install anyway, so i got out my extra new 350 GB HDD and installed it in the computer then did a fresh install of windows(windows 7 this time)

It posted fine , but took a long time. I figured it was just a windows 7 thing that would only happen the first time i started it up, but when I restarted it after installing some drivers it took a long time to post again, but windows 7 seem to work fine.

Then i noticed my 2TB drive was not showing up. Next day I opened it up to make sure i had connected my 2TB drive, but everything was good. I switched the 2 extra drives connections at the mobo and restarted it.

It took forever and never posted. eventually it said i was missing files from my windows7 install. I rebooted from DVD and tried to repair. It took the windows 7 disk a long time to load. when it finally didi it told me it was not compatable with the version i was running. makes no sense.

So at this point I tried disconnecting everything and just connecting my original windows xp drive. It also took a long time and never posted.

Next I decided to try reseting the bios. I reset it and connected my original xp drive again. It went through post very quckly and asked me to choose default settings or last known settings. i chose default and then went into bios and restet to defualt again to make sure.

It post to wndows xp desktop and froze partway throught booting. I tried it again , reseting bios , but hooked up my windows 7 drive. Once again very slow to post and then told me i was missing a file.

Tried it again with just the xp drive a few times , but never got it to post quickly again or fully post to windows at all. I am now trying to reboot with the windows 7 DVD and reinstall clean from scratch. Dont think it will work as it took windows 7 DVD forever just to boot up, so something is just plain broken.

When I say it takes a long time to post. I mean like 20 minutes. It will be at the splash screen for like 5- 10 minutes . then the post screen for another 3 - 5 minutes. then black screen for 3-5min, then it says loading operating system for another 5- 10 minutes and finally it will either give me an error "missing file" or never do anything.

when i boot from the windows DVD it says loading files for about 15- 20 min. before it loads up.

Something seems broken. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

autotech

Re: ga 990fxa-ud3 very slow wont post
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 05:42:43 am »
On the windows 7 install make sure you are at minimum build first. Just the one hard drive and 1 stick of ram and processor. No extra usb except for keyboard and mouse if you can. Load windows 7 and then after install and fully updating add in one thing at a time till you are fully up and running. See if that works.

If it doesnt try building it outside of the case to make sure you dont have a ground to case problem. Post results when you are done. If it crashes again or slow load up at minimum try to remember when you are at what update and so on.
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 07:01:11 am »
I tried reinstalling windows 7 with just bare bones , it installed after waiting 25 minutes for it to load, but would not boot up . just said there was an error after waiting a half hour.

Been wondering if there is some kind of problem with the case myself, as I built this to replace my old M2N-SLI delux motherboard that seemed to kick the bucket all of a sudden.

I will try building it out of the case and see what happens

If there was some kind of grounding or short issue with the case wouldnt that mess up the motherboard permanently or am i expecting it to resolve when the case is no longer an issue

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 08:50:44 am »
Hi twisteddman,

Could you post back with a full list of your hardware and how you have connected your HDD's etc?
If you are trying to use a "Green" HDD as your primary drive this can sometimes cause problems.
Have you tested your RAM Modules are OK by running MemTest?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 08:06:02 pm »
the gigabyte mother board
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black
Corsair Vengeance Desktop Memory 4GB x 2
Nvidia 9800GT
1000 watt power supply
asus DVD/DVD-r

all 2 weeks old except video card

My HDDs  have been hooked up in many different ways alone, together, first, last. you name it

This certainly has nothing to do with "green" HDD's.

I cant test my RAM as it does not post, or at least I dont know how to test it without booting it up. Ram is brand new though and was working fine for two weeks

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 03:24:25 am »
Try this,  go into the bios.  set ahci on, set port 5-6 to be ahci also.   Since you're loading from scratch anyways it should speed the hd's up a little.  I assume all your drives are sata type.   Set UEFI boot on if you're booting from the 2tb drive, if not i think you can leave it off.   

in the bios set your first boot drive to the 2tb drive that you'll boot from.
reset any memory speed to whatever your memory speed is, i think it defaults to 1333 if not set.

Reboot the computer and like you would do to go into the bios, but instead hit the F12 key to bring up boot sequence.   Select your CDROM drive to boot windows 7.

Reinstall win7,  at the pick hard drive to load windows 7 screen, you can also load your ahci driver,  if all your drives are on sata ports 1-4, just load the AMD driver for AHCI (on gigabyte cdrom)  just select browse and find the ahci driver for AMD for win7 or win7x64 whatever you're using and load it.   If it loads, it just puts you back to the windows screen.   Select refresh, in that screen and then pick the partition (off the 2tb) drive and select continue.  It should start loading windows 7.    if you hard drive is using the ports 5-6 for the 2tb drive,  use the marvell ahci win7 driver. 

I just went through this crazyness myself getting my ssd and 3tb drives to work, but now it's working great.   Let me know if you stil have problems. 

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 06:16:06 am »
Not sure how this relates to my issue