RAMS problem
0 (0%)
RAMSerror
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

PC problem (RAMs)

PC problem (RAMs)
« on: December 27, 2011, 10:49:50 am »
Hello there. Well lets get to the point. I recently bought a pc. I bought all parts individually and i put em together. The parts are the following. 1)MOBO: Gigabyte 970-D3, 2)CPU: AMD FX6100, 3)RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3  8GB (2x4GB), 4)GPU: AMD RADEON HD 6870 SAPPHIRE, 5)Power supply: Corsair Gaming Series GS600  and windows 7 x64bit.

I will refer all issues i faced or facing in order to help you make a guess on the problem. Well when i first put the pieces together the pc couldnt boot. I realized few days later that the MOBO needed BIOS update in order to make the brand new FX6100 cpu to start working. That problem solved. But later on i realized that my memories werent working at the correct fsb speed. That supposed to be 1600 if im not wrong or more. Well they run at 1333 only. I tried to go to BIOS and make some changes. I changed the fsb to 1600, voltages and all other options were set to auto. I tried to boot after that, the pc could not move on with that current setting and in order to move on to windows it automatically was dropping my memories fsb back to 1333. I couldnt figure out what was happening.
         I did MEM test on both rams at that point and both were 100% good. No errors no nothing. I was like.. whatta.. Anyways.. I left the issue back for few weeks.. and few days ago i had blue screen errors with the message "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT". I got that screens like 3-4 times in one day. So i tried a mem test again. Just to see if there was anything wrong. Tried both memories at the begining and they both failed with full errors. I tried to run the test again on each memory individually to check if there is only one of em wrong. Well both memories failed the test even individually.I now run my pc with only one of the rams. The one that was less failing on the mem test. At least i dont have blue screens now, while im trying to figure out what is going on with it. I posted on the official Corsair Forums in order to address the issue and they told me that the possibility of two broken rams on a single kit is like astronomical. And also that if both memories failed on the mem test then the problem HAS to be on something else such as voltages or anything. They told me to communicate with the MOBOs manufacturer to see if there is anything wrong. Thats why i m posting here. Well thats it..  Sorry for the wall of text but i m desperate on that issue. Cant find what is going wrong with my memories fsb. Im looking forward for some helpful answers. Cheers.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: PC problem (RAMs)
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 11:14:03 am »
Hi there,

sorry to see you are having problems.

Which BIOS version are you running?
Does the PC work OK when you load Optimised Defaults in BIOS?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 11:27:20 am »
Bios is:   Brand Award Software International, Inc.,   Version F8d,      Date   11/25/2011
When you say if the pc is working OK when i load defaults in BIOS you meen if my fsb on memories goes up to 1600? To be honest i dont remember if i did that cause a friend of mine, pc tech, used to fix my pc when i needed. So he basically did all the BIOS adjustments, and i was present in some parts of these bios changes.. But ill try to do this in a while. Ill try to re-install the 2nd dimm, and ill try "optimized defaults" in bios to see what happens. Do you think that this will bring the fsb back to 1600 ?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 11:35:23 am »
Loading Optimised Defaults will bring your RAM back down to 1333MHz but don't worry about this at the moment.

What we are looking for is getting the system stable at default settings and then moving forward.

Go into BIOS and load Optimised Defaults. Make the necessary changes for the SATA controller if you are running in AHCI Mode, disable full screen logo (if you want) and make other very basic settings. DO NOT alter any voltages or timings just at the moment.

What we are trying to do here is find out if there is a problem with the RAM modules and/or other hardware before trying to get the right settings for all of the parts.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 11:42:28 am »
 I will do as you said.. i ll drop in the 2nd mem dimm and ill get on BIOS and load the Optimized Defaults. Ill log in after that and ill w8 for new instructions! But before i move and also sorry for asking but what exactly is AHCI mode?

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 11:58:42 am »
I just talked with my friend, and he told me that we already did the steps you mentioned. We couldnt run at AHCI mode cause we had BSoD.  But anyways.. im installin the 2nd dimm right now. And ill re-do the steps you mentioned. Be right back.

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 12:26:08 pm »
I loaded the Optimised Defaults from the BIOS. Here are some info about the Ram taken right through the speccy. Now whats next ?

Memory slots
   Total memory slots   4
   Used memory slots   2
   Free memory slots   2
Memory
   Type   DDR3
   Size   8192 MBytes
   Channels #   Dual
   CAS# Latency (CL)   9 clocks
   RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD)   9 clocks
   RAS# Precharge (tRP)   9 clocks
   Cycle Time (tRAS)   24 clocks
   Bank Cycle Time (tRC)   34 clocks
Physical Memory
   Memory Usage   18 %
   Total Physical   7.98 GB
   Available Physical   6.48 GB
   Total Virtual   16 GB
   Available Virtual   14 GB
SPD
   Number Of SPD Modules   2
      Slot #1
      Slot #2

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 12:41:01 pm »
Also here is some more info from the cpuz programm.

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 12:50:00 pm »
Just had a BSoD..........   the message on it was "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"  i think ill remove the 2nd dimm.. any tips?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 12:59:03 pm »
The best advice here is to re-run MemTest properly as this kind of warning message usually refers to a RAM issue although the problem can be due to other factors.

If you get any errors at all whilst running MemTest then you probably do have faulty RAM Modules. As you bought them as a kit you would have to return both modules for replacement even if only one proves to be bad.

Of course, the problem may not be with the RAM but with the memory controller which is part of the CPU. Sadly, this is not something a home user can test properly. But, if you can get hold of some different RAM Modules that you know do work OK in a similar system, then this can help narrow things down.

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 03:15:04 pm »
Yes thats what i was thinking. I will test these two dimms on a friends pc and ill test his memories on my pc to see what happens. I m sure this will answer many questions. One more info is that my friend ordered the same memories as mine. We ordered them together. His corsair vengeance dimms failed from the day one. Both failed mem tests and BSoD were a daily happening for him. So he told me that we might be so unlucky by receiving bad kind of dimms. That sounds really rare and unlucky i know, but who knows.. maybe we were that much bad fortuned on this specific series of dimms. I will try as soon as possible to switch rams with my friend and ill post the results. Although i would like to tell me what is the reason that these dimms couldnt run at 1600 fsb or higher? If i found out that these RAM units are broken or so, could that be the cause of that fsb downgrade? I still dont get why my pc downgrades them to 1333 by force..

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 03:28:41 pm »
What would be more helpful altogether is to post the STOP code for the BSODs that you are getting. The  description doesn't really help a lot. Make a note of the next one and then post it here.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 03:59:31 pm »
Hmm ok then. I will install again the second dimm. I know that i ll get a BSOD within few minutes so i will wright down the STOP code and i will post it. Be right back once more..

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 04:12:10 pm »
Although i would like to tell me what is the reason that these dimms couldnt run at 1600 fsb or higher?

By default, all RAM defaults to the JDEC standard which is 1.5V at 1333MHz and this is done to try and ensure basic stability of PC's. When you buy RAM over this speed you manually have to set the speed in BIOS.

There can be several reasons why, when you manually set the RAM Speed higher than 1333MHz, that they don't work but the most common reasons are: Faulty RAM Modules,  insufficient voltage (which is probably why Dark Mantis has asked for the stop code if you can find it), CPU not supporting faster RAM Speeds (especially true with Athlon and some Phenom CPU's) or other hardware/software conflicts.

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 04:23:51 pm »
I did changed manually the fsb in the BIOS on 1600 but as i said the pc automatically dropped down the fsb to 1333 for no reason. I didnt do any changes at all on voltages or so. Dunno if i had to. All were set to auto. Also i dont have Athlon or Phenom, i do know that AM3 sockets have a problem over 1333 fsb, but i use the FX6100 cpu (AM3+) which is nearly impossible not to support fsb faster than 1333. Anyway.. at the moment i have both dimms plugged on the MOBO and waiting for a BSoD. Normally it should have happen by now, but.. ill keep on waiting. Ill try to give you some info about the STOP code as soon as possible.