Official GIGABYTE Forum

How do I disable the integrated soundcard on my GA-X58A-UD7 motherboard?

Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance for the help and sorry that this is going to be longwinded.

I'm a novice when it comes to working on computers.  I've installed videocards, ram, etc.  I'm now attempting to install a new soundcard.  I'm doing this because of the sound issues that I'm having.  Sometimes my sound will cut out completely and I'll have to reboot my computer.  This gives me the, "waiting on 'some sound' file to exit," message; the file that plays the Windows shutting down chime.  Other times I get this wicked reverb while I'm playing a game.  Aside from cutting my hair so short that I can't pull it out, I've resorted to a new soundcard from Santa.

The manual says to disable the soundcard in the BIOS menu and, being the novice that I am, I can't see anything that clearly says, "Integrated Soundcard [Enabled]."  I've hunted on the fourms and I've read that Windows is capable of running multiple soundcards and/or I can go to Device Manager and disable the soundcard.

Here's what I would like to do and where I need help:

I want to do this the right way and disable the integrated soundcard in the BIOS, how do I do that?

... or,

What do I disable in the Device Manager to disable the integrated soundcard?

... also,

If Windows has a sound utility that may be interferring and causing the problems above (reverb and sound crash), how do I disable that without affecting this new soundcard?

... finally,

I have an AMD Radeon HD 6900 series graphics card (6980 I believe... I may be lying but the series is correct) connecting my monitor through the HDMI port and don't want to disable its sound function.

I want to do this the right way so I don't get future errors.  I'm not afraid of poking around the BIOS but not without some direction.  Two things scare me and there are no clowns in my BIOS so I only have to deal with one of them.

I'm running Windows 7 - 64bit.

Many thanks,

Matthew

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: How do I disable the integrated soundcard on my GA-X58A-UD7 motherboard?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 07:56:18 am »
Hi there,

to disable the onboard sound chip from the beginning, go into BIOS under Integrated Peripherals and disable the Azalia Codec function. This is always a good thing to do if you are fitting a separate soundcard as it can help avoid conflicts.

The HDMI Audio will not be effected as that is supplied by the Graphics Card.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 01:52:17 am »
Hi absic,

Awesome! There's the Azalia Codec in my BIOS and it says sound!  I'm so grateful you're able to point me in the right direction.  I'm going to assume that is correct because I know nothing.  If you don't hear from me than all is well.  Thank you so much for your help.

No news is good news.

Thanks again,

Matthew

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 04:46:02 am »
Quick Note absic,

All is working out, I just wanted to add one quick comment b/c I'm a bit embarassed.  I just wanted you to know that I went through the motherboard user guide but kept focusing on a section towards the back where it was describing how to hook up the wires to the soundcard connectors.  I even was able to figure out that the change I needed to make in the BIOS was in the part you mentioned.  However, I never thought to look in the guide book for information on the Integrated Peripherals section of the BIOS.

I said no news is good news.  The surgery is going well.  I'm taking the time to clean out some of the dust-bunnies and re-ziptie some wire bundles.

Anyways, I appreciate your help.  I just didn't want you to think that, I, did not take the time to really trouble shoot to the best of my ability.  I just foolishly missed something so simple.  Kind of like when you call into a tech support line... is the machine on?... ummmmm, yep, it is now.

Again thanks,

Matthew

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 06:09:00 am »
We all understand how easy it is to miss something like that. Calling it Azalia doesn't help either as it is not exactly what you are looking for! ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB