Official GIGABYTE Forum

G1. Assassin 2 win7 x64 X-FI audio extremely slow to install + boot time blowout

RobD

The win7 x64 audio driver takes forever to install, like around 10 - 15 mins   :o
Not only that, but the boot time blows out from 20 secs to around 60 secs, with the hdd light doing the slow accelerating flash routine.
x86 seems fine.

Interested to hear the experience of others.

RobD

May have an answer to this problem.
After experiencing the same issue on a Intel DX79SR board, but with it's usb 3 drivers, I discovered that if I installed all ms updates first then installed the usb 3 driver, it installed at blazing speed [30 secs ilo 5 mins] and caused no boot time blowout, in fact the boot time came down after installing them.

So will try the same thing on this mobo and see what happens.

RobD

Success!!, Applying widows updates first makes a huge difference!!
I installed only chipset, management engine and vga drivers [in that order], then used a pci wifi card to connect to the net and installed all windows updates.
After that, the x-fi driver and all others installed with no distress to the OS or the operator!!   :D
The wifi card I used was a TP Link for which windows 7 already had a driver.

This discovery was actually made on the Intel dx79sr board which suffers the exact same issue, but with their usb3, lan and wifi drivers which before applying win updates first, would take several minutes each to install and trashed the boot time to around 2 minutes!!   :o