Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z68MA-D2H-B3 BSOD during installation and updates

whitefox

Z68MA-D2H-B3 BSOD during installation and updates
« on: January 03, 2012, 06:20:39 pm »
Hi everyone! First my specs:

i5 2500k, no overclock
Z68MA-D2H-B3, LGA 1155 latest bios and drivers (as much as I could successfully install anyways)
Using onboard video card (waiting until I get this sorted out before installing my 570)
Corsair Vengeance 8 GB 1600
WD Black 1 TB
Corsair TX750 V2

Now the issue. I'm building my first pc and have been having consistent issues with BSOD (error 0x00000124) when trying to install or update certain programs, as well as sometimes surfing the net (I haven't even tried any games at this point). I originally had an Asus motherboard when I started building and getting these issues. I posted on another board and some people suggested it could be my memory. I had already tried running it with a second memory set (Kingston HyperX 8GB) with no change, but decided to run memtest anyways (86 as opposed to 86+, not sure which is better). However, my computer would crash during memtest. It was then suggested to me that it could be a motherboard issue. So I exchanged my motherboard for the Gigabyte model I currently have.

The good news was I could now run memtest without it crashing (although weird symbols started appearing on screen after the third pass). The bad news was the bsod didn't go away, as was evidenced by Windows 7 crashing the first time I tried to install it. I ran memtest on a single stick in slot 1 for three passes with no errors and no issues until the weird symbol thing. I've since used only that stick in that slot but seen no improvement. I've also run the diagnostic tests provided by WD and Intel for my HDD and CPU respectively and they've come back fine. As I see it, there are only a few possibilities: (1) These tests aren't reliable/I did them wrong and it's a hardware issue with RAM, HDD or CPU, (2) It's a motherboard issue, either hardware or software and could be compatibility related or (3) ?????. I'm seriously stumped and just want to get this thing working, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Z68MA-D2H-B3 BSOD during installation and updates
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 09:16:26 pm »
Hi and welcome.

What BSOD STOP code do you get now ? If it is 124 as you mention in the post the problem would normally be incorrect QPI/Vtt voltage.
If not please post what it is.

Memtest86+ the newest edition is the one you should be using. You have to do the tests properly though not as you were doing.

Please follow these instructions exactly.

I would suggest that you download and run the latest version of  Memtest86+ to check your RAM first.

Memtest86+        http://www.memtest.org/

Insert one stick of memory in slot 1 and run Memtest on it for at least 10 complete loops/cycles and if there are no errors then swap it over with the next one and continue untill you have checked all  modules.

If you have any errors the module is faulty.

If you have any faulty modules you will have to return the whole kit as they are matched.

Post back when you have done that with the results.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

whitefox

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 06:47:46 pm »
Hi and thanks for the response. To clarify, yes it has always been stop 124 since the very beginning. I had come across the voltage issue, but I was under the impression that it applied to overclockers and that the BSOD were random or occurred during idling. While I guess you could consider some of my BSODs to be random (i.e. when online) the vast majority occur during installations or updates, oftentimes repeatedly on certain updates. Maybe my understanding is wrong?

I ran memtest86+ on each Corsair module 10+ times and both were fine. I should probably mention that neither of my sets (Corsair or Kingston) are on the compatibility list for this motherboard. That being said, when I was having issues on the Asus motherboard and realized that the Corsair set wasn't on the compatibility list for that board, the first thing I did was switch to the compatible Kingston, which had no effect. So while I guess it's possible that the issue is compatibility, the fact that I got the same issues even on a board with compatible memory makes me think it's something else.

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 11:47:57 pm »
Hi whitefox,  ;)

What is your windows seven? What type? x64 or x32bit?
What is the exact name: Home , Premium, Ultimate, etc
Whrere made this windows? By a third company like DELL, HP ?  

Or you have a Genuine Windows Disk Install? From Microsoft?

What is the Heat Sink Fan?
Intel Stock or third party?

You said in OP : ''Z68MA-D2H-B3, LGA 1155 latest bios and drivers (as much as I could successfully install anyways)''
Please list here this drivers. Maybe the best is the remove few drivers. In first time... write a list, please.

Gloup_Gloup
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 11:53:24 pm by Gloup_Gloup »

whitefox

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 12:03:00 am »
Hi to you too :D

It's Home Premium x64 bit and the disk is definitely genuine (correct Microsoft packaging, got it at Tigerdirect). I'm just using the Intel stock fan since I wasn't planning on doing any OC.

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 12:47:55 am »
Hi whitefox,  ;)

Thanks for salutations and for informations about hardware. Good.

I wait for infos about drivers installed...

Gloup_Gloup

whitefox

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 01:27:11 am »
So I had to check with my dad about this one, he's working on this with me. Turns out I was wrong, all of the drivers installed fine. What seemed to be causing us trouble initially was the EZTune application on the board. Uninstalling it did noticeably improve the stability. However, as I mentioned before, when trying to install certain Windows updates and also occasionally at random times, it still crashes.

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 02:02:06 am »
Hi again,

Confirm if you are able to go Windows session. Desktop.

If yes, I suggest you make clean your system:

Driver notes : before install new driver,
Please completely remove older version driver first with :
Drivers sweeper : http://phyxion.net/Driver-Sweeper/Driver-Sweeper/Version-3-2-0/

and soft for  Windows Registry :
Ccleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
jv16 PowerTools 2011 http://www.macecraft.com/downloads/jv16pt_setup_hb.exe
Wise Registry Cleaner Pro http://www.wisecleaner.com/soft/WRCPro.exe

Gloup_Gloup

whitefox

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 02:44:17 am »
Thanks for the reply,

I actually can't try those things at the moment because my dad is trying something else on the computer. If what he is doing falls through, I'll give it a try. Either way I'll be making a post tomorrow.

whitefox

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 07:18:35 pm »
So an update. Last night my dad tried installing XP on the computer. First we tried 64 bit which crashed during installation.Then we tried 32 bit and that turned out to be really good. We got through all the the installations, upgrades, etc. without any crashes whatsoever. I've been using it since, mostly browsing the internet since I haven't added my graphics card yet, and after many hours of use I've only had three crashes so far (all of them with a 9c error). I know that's still not perfect, but it's miles ahead of Windows 7 in terms of stability. So my question is, why is this happening?

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 07:42:31 pm »
Hi whitefox,  ;)

Check a temp and Voltage with SensorsView
http://www.stvsoft.com/

and come again here with little picture of result.

Maybe you have overheating your mobo... (I ask... )

Gloup_Gloup

whitefox

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 07:57:20 pm »
Hey :), here's the image, had only a couple webpages open when I took this:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/193/sensorview1.jpg/

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 08:07:42 pm »
Hi again,

I have view your picture.

I just note about system temp is 40 Celsius.
I suppose, this is a motherboard temp.

The HD and CPU is for me, normal temp.

EDIT01: But about 12 volt... Bizare result...
Maybe take a ReNew Sensor test.

Gloup_Gloup
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 08:21:18 pm by Gloup_Gloup »

whitefox

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 08:47:55 pm »
Okay, so I've done screen captures at another 3 points about a minute apart. I can upload them if you want, but you seem particularly interested in the 12v result. It consistently jumps between 1.57 and 2.09 when idling, although most of the time it is at 2.09. Occasionally it will jump up if I'm doing something.

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 09:10:33 pm »
Hi again,  ;)

Okay, try with this software now.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor-pro.html

Come again with picture . Please.

Gloup_Gloup