Official GIGABYTE Forum

P67A UD7: enabling dual channel mode

Siso

P67A UD7: enabling dual channel mode
« on: January 05, 2012, 04:52:27 pm »
Hi folks
Noob question from me.

I had 2 x 4GB sticks on the P67A UD7.  One was faulty so I'm about to replace it and add 2 more (i.e. will be 4 x 4 GB sticks all identical brand and spec). 

The manual mentions that 'enabling Dual Channel memory mode will double the original memory bandwidth'.

1)  HOW do I enable dual channel memory mode?

2) How do I tell if dual channel memory mode is enabled?  Is this on a BIOS menu somewhere?

Can't find this via forum search or online.   Thanks for any advice.
P67A UD7: i7 2600K (not overclocked).  16 GB RAM: 1 x 500 GB HDD SATA3; 1 x 500 GB HDD SATA2 (for data only).

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: P67A UD7: enabling dual channel mode
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 04:59:50 pm »
Hi there,

Enabling Dual Channel is done automatically, just so long as you insert your Memory modules into the appropriate slots on the motherboard (check User's manual for correct configuration.) As you are going to be populating all four slots with RAM you don't need to worry about this.

Depending on how you have configured the BIOS the only indication that I am aware of that Dual Channel mode is enabled is during the POST stage of start-up when it shows the initial POST Screen with memory, motherboard, CPU details.

Once you are running Windows you can use software to confirm Dual Channel memory configuration and the one that I prefer is CPUZ which you can download from here: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html Once installed click on the Memory tab for details of your RAM.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Siso

Re: P67A UD7: enabling dual channel mode
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 06:19:17 pm »
Hi there,

Enabling Dual Channel is done automatically, just so long as you insert your Memory modules into the appropriate slots on the motherboard (check User's manual for correct configuration.) As you are going to be populating all four slots with RAM you don't need to worry about this.

Depending on how you have configured the BIOS the only indication that I am aware of that Dual Channel mode is enabled is during the POST stage of start-up when it shows the initial POST Screen with memory, motherboard, CPU details.

Once you are running Windows you can use software to confirm Dual Channel memory configuration and the one that I prefer is CPUZ which you can download from here: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html Once installed click on the Memory tab for details of your RAM.

Many thanks absic - this is very helpful reply, couldn't be clearer.

P67A UD7: i7 2600K (not overclocked).  16 GB RAM: 1 x 500 GB HDD SATA3; 1 x 500 GB HDD SATA2 (for data only).