Official GIGABYTE Forum

Sandy Bridge i5 overclocking using TouchBIOS

Sandy Bridge i5 overclocking using TouchBIOS
« on: January 06, 2012, 01:21:03 pm »
Hi.

I just discovered this wonderful program on the information site for my motherboard ( http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3856#ov ) called TouchBIOS. It basically lets me adjust all the bios settings in Windows and then restart to "activate" those settings.

In this program there's a Quick Boost button and I being the usual curious me had to try it. When I realized what it was I started out at the bottom by choosing the "Faster" mode. Restarted, stress tested and monitored the temp and it was all good. Then I decided to go further and try out "Turbo" which got to 4.3GHz stable!! Completely effortless. But the CPU was starting to get hot, up to 70°C, so I drove down to the nearest computer parts store and bought 3 more fans and filled all the optional fan spaces. CPU doesn't go over 61°C now.

So I decided to try out the "Twin Turbo" mode! And that's where it started failing. At first it restarted twice instead of once and then it loaded Windows normally and had been running for maybe 3 minutes. I was about to open up all my monitoring tools when the computer blue screened. So I restarted and after that it wouldn't go past the Welcome screen in Windows so I couldn't set it back to Turbo in TouchBIOS and had to use the old fashion way. I just reset the bios to Defaults because I have no idea what the Quick Boost actually changes.

Now I'm curious, is there a way to get the Twin Turbo mode working? Any other bios adjustments I can make so that it runs smooth? I skimmed quickly through the overclocking guide but since I don't actually change anything in the bios and don't know what settings Quick Boost changes, I don't know what to change. But I've got a feeling it's got something to do with voltages.

Not that I am unhappy with 4.3Ghz, about 900MHz faster than stock, but there's an option for 4.7GHz and I just can't let it go!

If there's anything I can try, information about it is greatly appreciated :D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 01:32:35 pm by DanniV8 »
• Antec DF-10 • Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775W • Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 • Intel Core i5 2500K • 2x nVidia GeForce GTX560 Ti OC • Mushkin 8GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 •

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
Re: Sandy Bridge i5 overclocking using TouchBIOS
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 05:33:31 am »
Anything above ~4.2, you need to make finer adjustments to individual BIOS settings to see what works/doesn't.

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 02:42:55 pm »

Another one hooked! ;D ....Great isn't it getting an extra 25% performance for nothing....... these over-clocking features are great to get moderate clocks and for the novas  ..... only problem is as you discovered, is you have absolutely no idea as to what's happened!

Like all of us , you just have to start to read and read and play in the BIOS .....every machine is different and will have a different ceiling.

If you "Goggle" your board ....or processor and the word "overclocking" ...... many hours of material will be at your finger tips.

Here's a really good one to get you going....http://www.overclock.net/t/538439/guide-to-overclocking-the-core-i7-920-or-930-to-4-0ghz

Enjoy!

Aussie Allan  8)
i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage
C: Evo 970 Pro 512gb
Scratch:Evo 970 Plus 512gb

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 04:59:36 am »
  Another one hooked! ;D ....Great isn't it getting an extra 25% performance for nothing.......
Nothing schmothing...we're gamers and will use every bit of performance available and will still want more!

If you "Goggle" your board ...
...it will look much more attractive?  "Beer goggles"?  ;D