Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-MA69GM-S2H Ram Recognition

GA-MA69GM-S2H Ram Recognition
« on: November 02, 2009, 02:44:06 am »
I installed win 7 64 bit and everything installed and works flawlessly.  However I noticed that it says I only have 2 gig of memory when in fact I have 4 gig installed.  When I had XP installed it saw around 3 gig, but that was a 32bit OS so I understand that.  I have the latest bios F17d I think it is.  When the bios first goes through the booting process I can see that it only recognizes 2 gig also.  I assumed it was Win 7 not seeing it, but it appears the bios doesn't recognize the 4 gig.  Anyone have any clues or solutions?  Thanks.

kangoo

Re: GA-MA69GM-S2H Ram Recognition
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 07:52:13 am »
quite strange  :-\

i would recommend to: clear bios cmos, re-seat memory modules, put ram into other slots, clean the connectors, try with non-beta bios F6

when using win xp previously how much ram was detected at boot up?

R_N_B

Re: GA-MA69GM-S2H Ram Recognition
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 10:31:13 am »
Take out one stick of ram and boot your system. If the bios recognises that you have 2 gig then you know two things. First the stick of ram seems to work and one of your ram slots works.

Reboot and repeat in a different ram slot.

Once you are certain that all ram slots are working just fine. No reason that they might not be but lets make sure before we move on to the next step.

Now take the other stick of ram and pop it into a slot and repeat for all slots.

That way you will know if both sticks work in single channel mode and you will know that all slots work fine.

Then place your ram in the first and third slot so that you have dual channel configuration. Go into bios and make sure that you are running optimized settings in bios for this part of the test.

In the ideal world 4 gigs of ram should now be clearly seen in bios.

If not report back and we will move on to memtest time.