Official GIGABYTE Forum

Can we get an official response from Gigabyte regarding Z68 cold boot?

spurst

http://www.overclock.net/t/1034724/gigabyte-p67-z68-boot-cycling-problem/590

This thread is going on 60 pages long now. I have this problem. Numerous other users here, and elsewhere have this problem. Can we at last know what the status on resolution for said problem is? It almost seems related to QPI/VTT/RAM voltages and the way these boards handle them.

I've noticed for the past 6 Gigabyte boards I've used in client builds there is a boot cycling problem one way or another. After shutdown and waiting for approx. 10 seconds booting up again results in boot cycling and results in the board reverting to using the backup BIOS which still boot cycles. Even after copying the new BIOS to the backup BIOS boot cycling still continues. I end up flipping the PSU switch and unplugging the power cable and waiting for a few seconds before the board would boot past POST screen.

Has anyone else encounter this with their new Gigabyte P67/Z68 boards?

I've had 3 builds with other makers, 2x MSI and 1x Asus and those board did not exhibit this problem, both boards are P67 boards.

Facts about Boot Loop:

1) On a cold boot your motherboard will POST up to the "Memory Testing" (which is like the first 3 lines on your POST screen) line and then restarts on it's own. It will continue to do this for a infinite number of times, theoretically. If someone actually wants to sit in front of their computer and start a count on how many times it restarts, be my guest.

2) Restarting will not work, as it continues to boot loop. You'll have to hold down the power button for 5 secs (or whatever amount of time) until your PC manually shuts down. Turning it back on immediately after a shutdown continues the boot loop, you must wait at least 20-30 seconds.

3) In order to get the board to boot properly you'll first have to turn off your power supply (the switch on your PSU if you have one) and pull the power cord. Wait approx. 30 seconds, reinsert the power cord, flip the switch and press the power button. This should get your system to boot normally on 80% occasions according to my experience. Some members have stated that the CMOS must be reset, 24-pin mobo plug needs to be unplugged and CMOS battery has to be removed. You are free to try those methods if the pulling of the power cord method does not work.

There have also been reports of disabling certain options in your BIOS that will remedy the boot loop. First off, those people were not experiencing a boot loop, just a hiccup on a old chipset.

This boot loop problem unique to P67/Z68 chipset and so far most relevant on Gigabyte boards.

At the time of this writing all Gigabyte Z68XP version motherboards only have 1 BIOS update to choose from, which isn't really a update at all.

4) No matter what you do, flashing the backup BIOS with the latest BIOS does not solve the issue. Sadly on some of the newer Z68 boards, THERE'S ONLY 1 BIOS!
Edited by AzO - 7/24/11 at 10:52pm

If you have this problem, please post your system specs, so maybe we can try and figure out some type of resolution.

My specs:
Z68X-UD3H-B3
i5 2500k
Cooler Master Hyper 212
2x 4gb Corsair XMS DDR3 (also tried crucial ballistix)
SATA RAID 0 2x WD raptor 36g
SATA RAID 0 2x Seagate 7200.12 500g
Galaxy GTX 460 SLI 768
Lite-ON DVDRW
Sony Blu Ray
PCP&C 760Watt PSU

I've found that manually setting my memory voltage to 1.65v and QPI/VTT to 1.2v seems to cut down on the boot loop. Doesn't entirely fix it, but does cut down the occurrence.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 05:28:07 pm by runn3R »

Neil79

Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P - Boot Loop / Cold Boot issue

At the end of last year I purchased a Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P, It was correctly set up for stable usage and overclock usage with 10hrs of prime testing and 5hours of intel burn test at max. I could play BF3 for hours and such. However it wasn't long till I ran into issues whereby, when I started the system up from cold it would just shut off and just do it again and again. Pulling the psu plug, put it back in and the system would boot up fine and be up for hours. However I wasn't sure if this started when I flashed to F6 or Before..

After talking to Support To get this issue fixed I flashed to F7A, but It took awhile to get the system back up at all it would constantly boot loop not giving me much chance to set the bios defaults. When that was done it finally booted and I was up and running for about 8hrs before I went out. Came back started the system up, straight away it shuts off with the cold boot issue.

I've been back and forward with support and they then released a F7B to fix the cold boot issue, again it took some time to get the system back up and running with the annoying boot loop problem. I read a number of forum threads and found that the possible cause was related to the VTT/QPI voltages not being set correctly on AUTO when using XMP PROFILE 1 for memory. It should be setting to 1.2V however the VTT/QPI remains at 1.056V VTT/QPI which is too low, So i set this manually to 1.2V thinking it would finally fix the cold boot issue. But unlike before it lasted 3DAYS and I thought it was fixed :D. Yet the cold boot issue started again :( , this boot loop/cold boot issue can happen at STOCK and Overclocked settings.

Speaking to a number of forum members they told me the correct way to flash, not just flash and be done with it. Support released a F7C bios which every time so far support says " THIS FIXES THE COLD BOOT ISSUE ", Hold on a min support you said F7A / F7B fixes the cold boot, make up your mind.

This was my post using F7C

F7C is the worst bios i've ever used to get it working right with boot loops and a cold boot issue. The Bios still sets the VTT too low when set to AUTO and using xmp Profile 1, the vtt volts don't increase and have to be manually set. But with Bios F7C I had trouble even getting that far!

1. Made sure my bios was set to default settings and used my usb stick to flash to the new F7C.

2. I powered down the system as it told me too, took the psu cable out, pressed the power switch on the psu and system to clear out any left over voltage and also cleared the cmos.

3. Powered up the system and it instantly shut off with a cold boot issue, it did this again after that. So I took out the psu cable put it back in and tried again. I was able to get into Bios.

4. Set to Default settings and rebooted, It hung on the Bios logo so i hit the reset button. Apparently the reset button can cause awful boot loops which it did. It then ended up in a continues boot loop which never happened in any previous bios flash. I was finally able to get back into bios and again set it to default and then it worked.

5. As i was able to set it to default I then proceded to flash the backup bios.

6. Rebooted the system and back in bios it said failed on overclocked settings, even though I had not done any overclocking!. I also noticed again that the VTT voltage as still only at 1.056v when on auto with XMP profile 1.

7. Set my overclocked settings, set the voltages as they should be because VTT and Main memory voltage on Auto doesn't work I was able to get into windows.

I'm using F7C now even though it cold booted last night, It didn't this morning.

Other threads with the issue from other members

http://www.overclock.net/t/1034724/gigabyte-p67-z68-boot-cycling-problem

Other members with the issue Just a few quoted

Originally Posted by MOOGLEYS View Post
Same cold booting issue this morning with either BIOS and stock settings.
Board is going back today and will order a replacement later. Last time I use a gigabyte board. Edit - just rang the retailer for an rma and was told that they have had a lot of these boards returned for this issue?

Originally Posted by nxcess View Post
I get the problem at stock. It seems to make no difference if overclocked or not. It has once again stopped my ssd working and each time I have to put it in an old system to get it going again....

Originally Posted by Jahlord View Post
After experiencing this problem , I googled for solutions.
Seems I'm screwed

However there was this which may help support get this issue fixed!

Mine seems to be resolved after using DVID instead of LLC for overclocking. System booted up on first try.

Come on support get this issue fixed!, it's obviously more of a widespread problem than just me

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - OEM
OcUK GeForce GTX 560Ti 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
Samsung SpinPoint F4 320GB SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (HD322GJ)
60GB SSD used a Cache Drive
Corsair V2 600W Power Supply
Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (KHX1600C9D3X2K2/8GX)

These are my overclocked settings, THE COLD BOOT ISSUE HAPPENS AT DEFAULT ASWELL
\MB - ( M.I.T )/
\Advanced Frequency Settings/

CPU CLOCK - 33X
BCLK - ( DISABLED ) left at default 100mhz
EXTREME MEMORY PROFILE XMP - ( PROFILE 1 )
SYSTEM MEMORY MULTI - ( AUTO )

\Advanced Cpu Core Features/

CPU CLOCK RATIO [33X]
PWN FREQUENCY CONTROL [ AUTO ]
INTERNAL CPU OVER CURRENT PROTECTION [ AUTO ]
INTERNAL CPU PLL OVERVOLT [ENABLED ]
RATIO CHANGES IN OS [ DISABLED ]
INTEL BOOST TECH [ ENABLED ]
RATIO 1 - 4 [ 47 ]
TURBO POWER LIMIT [ 300 ]
CORE CURRENT [ 300 ]
CPU CORES ENABLED [ ALL ]
CPU ENHANCED HALT C1E [ AUTO ]
C3/C6 STATE SUPPORT [ AUTO ]
CPU THERMAL MONITOR [ DISABLED ]
BI-DIRECTIONAL PROCHOT [ AUTO ]

\Advanced Memory/

EXTREME MEMORY PROFILE X.M.P [ PROFILE 1 ]
SYSTEM MEMORY MULTI SPD [ AUTO ]
PERFORMANCE ENHANCE [ STANDARD ]
DRAM TIMING SELECT SPD [ AUTO ]
CHANNEL A - B [ AUTO ]

\Advanced Voltage Settings/
MULTI-STEPS LOAD-LINE [ LEVEL 6 ]
CPU VCORE [ 1.340V ] ( TEST WITH PRIME 95/INTEL BURN TEST AND THEN LOWER THE VOLTS UNTIL UNSTABLE TO FIND YOUR LOWEST STABLE VOLTAGE )
QPI/VTT VOLTAGE 1.050V [ 1.190v - 1.20v ]
SYSTEM AGENT VOLTAGE 0.920V [ AUTO ]
DYNAMIC VCORE [ AUTO ]
GRAPHICS DVID [ AUTO ]
CPU PLL VOLTAGE 1.800V [ 1.750-1.800V ]
DRAM VOLTAGE 1.500V [ 1.550-1.616V ] ( LOWER OR HIGHER DEPENDING ON MEMORY REQUIREMENTS )
DRAM VREF 0.750V [ AUTO ]
DRAM TERMINATION 0.750V [ AUTO ]
CH-A/B ATA VREF 0.750V [ AUTO ]
CH-A/B ADDRESS VREF [ AUTO ]

\Misc Settings/

ISOCHRONOUS SUPPORT [ ENABLED ]
VIRTUALIZATION TECH [ ENABLED ]

\Power Management/

HPET SUPPORT [ ENABLED ]
HPET MODE [ 64BIT ] - 64bit windows versions

\Pc Health/

CPU SMART FAN CONTROL [ DISABLED ]

I too would like to see this issue addressed by gigabyte.  This is my first gigabyte board, and will be my last if we do not hear some answers soon.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Hi

I am not a Gigabyte official but I agree that there does seem to be plethora of these problem systems at the moment. No official answer has been forthcoming that I am aware of apart from the BIOS updates.

I haven't got access to this board to be able to test out a couple of theories which is always a problem and I have to rely on manuals.

Has anyone tried setting a HDD Delay in the BIOS ? A few seconds should do. Maybe someone could try it and get back to me with the result.  ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

spurst

DM, are there any gigabyte employees that use this board? 

We're looking at over 60 pages of posts over at overclockers, so its seems to be a fairly wide-spread issue that would be in gigabyte's best interest to address, versus users trying to solve this on their own.

There's a pretty significant number of owners with issues, and that's just one enthusiast site! Gigabyte is risking losing all of these users as future customers, not to mention should this potentially turn into a class action lawsuit or massive recall for pushing out a pile of defective boards.

All of my other Gigabyte boards have been great, and I've been buying them for years. However, I built 3 more systems last week, and until Gigabyte at least attempts some type of resolution on this problem, I won't even consider another Gigabyte board.

Now, that my rant is over - I'll try the HDD delay, because I want my system fixed.

Also, If Gigabyte needs a board for testing -  I'd be more than happy to SWAP you my board for a known working board of the same model. Z68X-UD3H-B3

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
The only Gigabyte employee to frequent this forum on a regular basis is runn3R the Forum Administrator. You could try talking to him but I don't know if he would be able to help you.

There is of course GGTS also you could try.

Just enter your email address and click on the language of choice. For the UK:
GGTS   http://ggts.gigabyte.com/

Please expect several days for a reply.

For other countries:

http://uk.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/support-downloads.aspx
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 04:58:38 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Neil79

The only Gigabyte employee to frequent this forum on a regular basis is runn3R the Forum Administrator. You could try talking to him but I don't know if he would be able to help you.

There is of course GGTS also you could try.

Just enter your email address and click on the language of choice. For the UK:
GGTS   http://ggts.gigabyte.com/

Please expect several days for a reply.

For other countries:

http://uk.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/support-downloads.aspx

Done this alot, it's because of my contact with them they they keep releasing more beta bios's

F7B - F7C - F7A, now they mention F7B again :p

Neil79

- MOOGLYS -
Just re-started and it cold booted twice then booted normally. Seems it is not ram related... thought I was on to a winner.

- HORROWOOD -
I have used corsair vengeance low profile (1.35v version), corsair vengeance with the large heatspreaders (1.5v stuff), ballistix tracer, ocz gold and some generic crucial ddr3. All of them do it. All of them pass memtest.
Edit: i doubt it will be fixed, this problem has been on going for months.

What the hell is up with these boards?

I think Neil has quoted me from ocuk but I'm also having the cold boot issue with this board and an I5 2500k cpu. I Have just tried some corsair vengeance lp 1.5v  ram and thought it was ok but it did it again just now after a re-start.
If this could finally be sorted it would be great as I have always been a gigabyte customer but this is getting a bit silly now with this board.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
I am sure that Gigabyte is attempting to find the cause of this issue and hopefully they will have a fix soon. I just think they are a bit snowed under with other issues right now and are probably putting all their techs behind them.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

As mentioned by neil I also have this problem.

Mine actually seems to be worse. It will randomly switch off/freeze whilst in use or even just on the desktop doing nothing. It will then boot loop until it feels like working again.

It is completely random on how to get it working again, clearing the cmos and killing the power a few times tends to do it.

The last time it did it I was playing skyrim, it switched off and the boot loop started again. It then started up and decided to flash itself to the backup bios, this then disabled the SSD caching and lost a load of my data.

I have tried several sets of ram and two power supplies (the 2nd of which is probably the best power supply available and was far from cheap, thanks gigabyte for causing me to waste lots of money trying everything possible). I have also tried two seperate graphics cards.

I have tried memory timing and voltage recommendations from corsair on two sets of ram. I have also tried OCZ gold, crucial ballistix tracer and crucial value ram.

I have tried flashing the latest beta bios that has just been released, that does not even work at all. It will not post and then flashes the backup bios. Great.

The only thing I have noticed is that it seems to be memory related, with the corsair vengeance low profile it seems to do it more often. It will die and boot loop the most when playing football manager 2012 with the corsair LP. With the ballistix tracer when playing football manager the RAM activity LED's do indicate a lot of RAM activity, it however works the best with the ballistix tracer. It still dies eventually.

I really can not be bothered with this board anymore. I will be buying something else so I can actually use my PC.

Neil79

I've sent a message to support and directed them to this thread, doubtful they will reply though :(

teknology9

Hi Neil79,

Well Ultim8 may have just read about this.....you never know.

teknology9
Windows 10 Home Edition
NZXT Phantom
Seasonic Platinum 1000w
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Corsair 16GB 2666
Gigabyte B460M AORUS PRO
MSI GeForce GTX 1650 D6 Gaming X 4G
i5- 10400
Samsung 970 Evo Plus - 250GB
Samsung 830 SSD - 250GB
PC building.........it's no fun if it's easy!!!

Hi, I got a new system about 4 weeks ago with the Z68XP-UD3R mobo. After working fine for 2 weeks, got the reboot loop issue. The mobo was replaced under warranty. The rev 1.3 replacement (same model mobo) ran fine for about 2 weeks, but now it's happened again..! Starts up, stays on for 2 seconds, powers down, repeat until I turn off the power at PSU. No video on startup, no chance to reflash bios, no nothing...

specs are: i5 2500k, Gskill ripjaws 8Gb ddr3, Gainward GTX570, 120Gb OCZ agility 3 SSD, 1Tb seagate and coolermaster hyper 212 CPU cooler.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis

Well Ultim8 may have just read about this.....you never know.

Ultim8 certainly did read this thread earlier but that doesn't mean that he is going to do anything about it necessarilly. The more people who are aware of the problem the better though. ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB