Official GIGABYTE Forum

UD5 NIC Speed, USB and warranty q

UD5 NIC Speed, USB and warranty q
« on: November 02, 2009, 09:23:32 am »
Hi all,

Firstly, my NICs are coming up at the wrong speed.  I have them connected with cat6 to a Netgear Gigabit switch that nothing else seems to have issues with and yet they are coming up at 100MB only.  Any suggestions?

Secondly,  I am having issues where usb devices drop off.  for instance my usb stick starts working fine, and then when I start transferring data to or from it, it drops.  The device still shows in My Computer but is empty.  On occasion i have seen the device return after 10 minutes.

Lastly, I just saw the Extended Warranty information and am having an issue finding my serial number.  Is there anyway of finding it other than by the cpu socket?  having it built now I have the HSF fitted and cant even see a serial no sticker. :-(

Thanks in advance
starfury6

MindLESS

Re: UD5 NIC Speed, USB and warranty q
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 02:50:51 pm »
Serial number should be on your motherboard box - unless you've binned it already. If not I saw on another post someone said their serial was near the 24-pin ATX connector on the motherboard.

What OS are you running it with - Windows or Linux? Versions of OS (e.g. 7 x64, Vista x32, Ubuntu 7.10 x64 etc) and drivers may help.

What driver are you using for the network cards? Have you downloaded the latest drivers from Gigabyte? (I allowed Win7 to update the drivers for my UD4 and it killed all network connectivity completely, using the updated driver from the gigabyte website was fine. Disabled that update in Windows now)

BIOS updates may help the USB problems as well as the NICs. All
Is the system overclocked at all? Have you tried it when it's at stock if it is OC'd at the moment? Using an old BIOS when I OC'd I had weird USB connection problems. I've not tried OC'ing with the new BIOS but it does say that OC stability was one of the items being addressed for my board.

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 03:26:40 pm »
Thanks for the serial info, I always keep the boxes so will nip up in the loft and check it out.

Right... I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit with the latest driver available from the Gigabyte website dated 261009 version 7.006.0820.2009.  I was using the previous driver which was on the site until I noticed the issue and updated it to this verison trying to solve.  Both drivers give me the wrong speed.

However I am using the latest beta bios in an attempt to resolve these maddening USB issues.  Bios F5i.  The bios issues seem to remain on and header connected usb ports but not on the rear ports.  Most weird.

The machine is not overclocked aside from the memory which is running at 1600.  (the memory is 1600 memory but I know intel say this is over spec) OCZ Platinum 4GB CL7 kit.
starfury6

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
Re: UD5 NIC Speed, USB and warranty q - serial number location
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 11:12:33 am »
About serial number sticker location on the MB:

For the old MB's it was usually on the CPU socket or last PCI slot as described at: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,188.0.html, sometimes it was just on the PCB.

Regarding the new models it is usually on the ATX 24-pin power connector, like there:
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 11:15:20 am »
Thanks runn3R I actually dug out the box and have mailed my warranty reg to Gigabyte.  Just waiting for my certificate now.

Hoping a new final bios with my nic issues sorted is in the offing shortly.  They were working at full speed with the original bios but the problems with the USB were worse.
starfury6