Official GIGABYTE Forum

RE: BIOS release numbering system

Vorn

RE: BIOS release numbering system
« on: January 07, 2012, 10:24:56 pm »
I need to become familiar with the 'F1/F2/F3/F4/FA/FB' numbering scheme used by gigabyte site...enough to have some understanding of difference between 'F1', 'F2', etc. Advice?

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: RE: BIOS release numbering system
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 10:16:13 am »
Hi and welcome.

I will do my best to make things a bit clearer for you.

The first thing is to determine the motherboard model number and the revision of that model. This number no (rev. 2.1) is printed in white lettering down the left hand side of the board near the bottom. It is just next to the PCIE slots.

Once you are sure thay you have the model and revision number you can look for the  list of BIOS versions that are available here:

http://uk.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/download-center.aspx?kw=GA-81845GV-C  enter in the details and select BIOS

a list will then appear. Usually in this sort of format F1, F2, F3, F5, F6, F7c, etc. The versions with an F number are the full BIOS versions following in order of uploading. Any that have a lower case letter after them are usually beta versions and still undergoing testing. Once they get uploaded onto the Official Gigabyte site though they are usually safe to use.

BIOS versions are full files and do not need to be incrementally loaded. It is however best not to jump too many version updates at once.

The previous text all refers to motherboard as graphics cards are entirely different.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 06:33:46 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Vorn

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 10:02:15 pm »
Hi and welcome.

I will do my best to make things a bit clearer for you.

The first thing is to determine the motherboard model number and the revision of that model. This number no (rev. 2.1) is printed in white lettering down the left hand side of the board near the bottom. It is just next to the PCIE slots.

Once you are sure thay you have the model and revision number you can look for the  list of BIOS versions that are available here:

http://uk.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/download-center.aspx?kw=GA-81845GV-C  enter in the details and select BIOS

a list will then appear. Usually in this sort of format F1, F2, F3, F5, F6, F7c, etc. The versions with an F number are the full BIOS versions following in order of uploading. Any that have a lower case letter after them are usually beta versions and still undergoing testing. Once they get uploaded onto the Official Gigabyte site though they are usually safe to use.

BIOS versions are full files and do not need to be incrementally loaded. It is however best not to jump too many version updates at once.

The previous text all refers to motherboard as grapphics cards are entirely different.

Already know the first part of what you explained. What is the difference between F1 and F2 ,or F3, etc.? This part does not mean anything to me...when I see F1 its just 'F1'...I don't get what it designates .

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 06:37:01 am »
It doesn't really tell you anything apart from the numbering sequence. I am afraid if you are after details of what is in the various BIOS versions then you are going to be unlucky! Most manufacturers provide fairly sketchy descriptions but Gigabyte beats the lot in my view often not putting anything at all.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 11:22:19 am »
bios numbering is fairly simple in most cases .numbering is usually a series starting with F1 or firmware 1 (1st version of firmware for a given board)
normally a firmware will only ever go through the set of F numbers ie. f1 f2 f3... sometimes you may be offered an experamental firmware ,for example F3b ,the "b" stands for Beta ,or Pre-release ,once it has been tesed fully the b will be removed .Beta firmwares are usually only offered if a known problem needs addressing and users need a fix quickly , the manufactureres wont simply release any Beta Bios , it will have been tried and tested, but maybe needs more testing before being certified ,you will allways be warned about risk ,when downloading Beta .
Sometimes a motherboard will go through several versions itself , in this case the motherboard will have a verson number ,or "revision number"  1, 1.2. 1.3 etc.
allways make sure you download bios for your revision number only . also when major firmware differences are made that actually change the way hardware works ,you will get different bios names like FA ,or FB etc .
as i am sure you are aware ,your BIOS (basic input output system) is simply a set of instructions that configure your hardware ,and voltages etc immediately before startup . each bios update can be for different needs ,sometimes they address a known bug ,and apply a fix accordingly ,sometimes they do a lot more and allow you to have increased functionality or to enable a new biuld of processor .either way ,its usually a good thing to have the latest bios installed to have complete funcionality and compatability . that said ,if a user is happy with thier motherboard ,and has not installed any hardware that would require an update to work properly ,there is no real need in that case to update .

the old saying , if it aint broke dont fix it , is worth noting .
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 11:24:23 am by jabberwocky »