Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-990XA-UD3 with AMD FX6100 CPU

GA-990XA-UD3 with AMD FX6100 CPU
« on: February 17, 2012, 03:32:43 pm »
I am building my first PC...using GA990XA-UD3 board and AMD FX 6100 CPU. Both are AM3+ ready. I am getting no POST/BIOS/Boot display. Have taken apart, tried all reccomendations on net and taken to a shop. They did the same, tested each component and found the CPU to be the problem. We updated the BIOS to version F9 to support the AM3+, but still same problem.

Have tried to contact Gigabyte, but no number or email in UK! Posted job on tech support site over week ago, which hasn't even been read yet.

Not very impressed as the board is clearly sold as AM3+ ready.

Anyone got any suggestions? Otherwise I am looking at getting a new board or CPU, although both are good, just not not together it would seem.
RAM: 1x4gb 1600
PSU: 500w ATX

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-990XA-UD3 with AMD FX6100 CPU
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 05:39:21 pm »
Hi there,

I think if I were you, I would check that the PSU is working OK. You don't say what make it is but 500 Watt is the minimum recommended by Gigabyte for your board and if it is old or a cheap one, it might not be delivering enough power.

Then there is your RAM. Again you haven't said what module(s) you actually have but if it/they are faulty that would also prevent the motherboard from starting up.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 05:56:51 pm »
Hi,
Thanks for reply.
PSU seems to be working ok as fans working. It's all brand new including PSU. Anyway shop has tested on another set up: same board/same CPU/different CPU...boots with old CPU, but not with combination stated. Same story with RAM - tested ok on other set up...

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 11:37:54 pm »
I recently purchase the same parts and had problems booting up too. I will just share what I found out was wrong and did to correct the issue. I updated the motherboard bios to the latest one using a USB drive. Instructions on how to update the bios using the USB is found in the manual. The other thing was that one of the pins in my CPU chip was bent. After getting that fixed, it boot up just fine. Hope this helps! :)