Official GIGABYTE Forum

esata bracket on p35-ds3p issue

wilbur

esata bracket on p35-ds3p issue
« on: November 03, 2009, 08:29:24 pm »
hello,

new to the forum. ;D

i built a pc using a p35-ds3p (revision 2.0) nearly two years ago, working fine, until now. the issue is, my esata external hdd for storage only does not work when connected to the easata bracket (esata to esata), which in turn is connected to the orange connectors on the motherboard;

-  does not show up in the BIOS
-  does not show up in disk management

i have the BIOS settings set to optimal defaults and have only changed keyboard and mose settings in perifferals for usb useage. the external hdd does work if the esata plug is connected directly to the sata plug on the motherboard. eliminating hdd failure. it also works via usb.

i believe the issue is between the esata bracket and the motherboard or the drivers?

but i dont know the answer.

any help will be greatly appreciated

thanks.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 08:29:57 pm by wilbur »

Beekeeper

Re: esata bracket on p35-ds3p issue
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 03:54:21 pm »
hello wilbur

tried with latest bios F12 ?
http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_DownloadFile.aspx?FileType=BIOS&FileID=14735

if not yet then upgrade bios using Q-Flash utility inside bios setup
“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”

wilbur

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 10:20:59 pm »
hello beekeeper,

thankyou for your suggestion. BIOS scares me, have heard of real tragedies with BIOS flashing, and not to do it unless there is instability. or is this scare mongering?

since my post, i have been using the esata external hdd directly into the motherboard sata2 plug and it is working great. but i should not have to do this with the gigabyte supplied esata bracket, it should work. therefore could it be the bracket that is at fault or the cable?

thanks

wilbur
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 10:25:03 pm by wilbur »

Pottypete

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 11:24:43 pm »
Hi, wilbur
I would contact gigabyte uk explaining the problem you have and ask for a replacement as it seems defective,
Regards

Beekeeper

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 12:10:01 pm »
hi wilbur,

if you use Q-Flash for bios flashing then it's really hard to damage anything, don't worry m8.

if this doesn't help then check this sata bracket according to Pottypete suggestions
“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”