Official GIGABYTE Forum

No Internet Connection GA P55-UD4P

No Internet Connection GA P55-UD4P
« on: November 04, 2009, 05:18:17 am »
Just put this system together.  GA P55-UD4P, i7 860, Rosewill 1000 watt PSU, 4x2GB GSkill ram F3-1600, 2 x 640GB HDD, 2 x ATI 4890, Lite-On DVD burner/BluRay player, Windows 7 64-bit Professional.

I installed the drivers on the Gigabyte supplied disk right after Windows 7 finished installing.
 I get a message: Unidentified network.  No Internet connection.

I also tried the 7.7.820.2009 driver for the Realtek controllers from the Gigabyte website.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem?  Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 05:18:58 am by Mello2u »

MindLESS

Re: No Internet Connection GA P55-UD4P
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 08:40:36 am »
Does Win7 show the lan adapter as having a connection?
Can you see if it has got an IP address at all - is it a 169.254.x.x or a 192.168.x.x IP range?

The only driver I've had problems with was from Windows Update - both the one on the CD and Gigabyte's page worked for me so I would look at the Win settings.

R_N_B

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 09:11:59 am »
Definitly do not use the driver on the Win auto-update, it kills your connection. So i would check my auto-update settings and make sure that you have the option to select which update to install.

If all else fails, select failsafe settings in bios and do a clean install.  :'( as tragic as that would be as a last resort should do the trick.

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 04:05:59 pm »
The only way I have found to see an IP address for the LAN is to go to the Realtec - Diagnostic Utility.  It reports the connected LAN port's address as 169.254.230.172. 
I am connected to a Linksys 4300 router.  It is connected to a cable modem.  I have two other computers connected by LAN to the router.   Their IP addresses are in the 192.168.x.x range!

On the network sharing page it shows my computer, then to the right  it shows an unidentified network (public), then to the right an "X" then an icon for the internet.

Is there some way to assign manually an IP address to my LAN port?

MindLESS

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 12:27:37 pm »
If you're getting a 169.x.x.x IP range it's an auto-assigned IP range. Basically this is used if it can't contact a DHCP server at all.
You can go into the properties of the connection and edit the TCP/IP settings and manually set an IP address.

I can't remember how to go to the Win7 IP settings offhand - still on XP at work. Vaguely if you right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Properties' on the page that opens up there's a link to network info. Somewhere in there will be your LAN adapter and you can click on a link for 'Change Settings' or similar.

I'd check the IP's used by the other machines, if they're both in one area (ie. x.x.x.2 and .3 or x.x.x.254 and .253) then set up an IP address for the problem machine the other end (valid options are .1 to .254 - although likelyhood is your router will be on one of those already)
The Gateway address and DNS address will be your router's IP address. Then you can try ping tests to the router to see if it'll connect when you use a static address.

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 04:49:57 am »
I gave up on trying to solve this problem of no internet.  I RMA'd the board today.

ETNiES

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 02:16:41 pm »
Well that was a bit silly, it had nothing to do with the board it was a driver issue. You obviously ran windows update and the Realtek drivers killed your connection. Same happened to me, I just did a roll back.
If I had a hammer.. I'd hammer in morning.