Official GIGABYTE Forum

Can mobo beep for temperature even when alarms are disabled?

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Can mobo beep for temperature even when alarms are disabled?
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2012, 11:08:38 am »
Allan's advice is well founded and it would be sensible to take heed of it. As with most things they are worked out for the average user but if someone wants to push the boundaries a bit then you have to expect to customise a little.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2012, 05:52:19 pm »
IIRC TJmax of the PCH is 104c; you'll have quite a ways to go.

Case cooling/ambient temp will have a significant impact on that heat sink.

We are only talking about 6.1w TDP here.

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2012, 10:47:12 pm »
Today it's been a really hot day (35c), but I didn't got any beeps ¬¬

I tried CPUID Hardware Monitor, CPU temp is stuck at 25c like on any other software, the 4 core temps do work. Without running anything (or even while watching TV), the temps are between 58c and 65c, maximum was 67c. This doesn't look very good, I read that for the i5 those temps should be only at max load, and the max temp is 72c but I didn't find any official info from intel.

I've also ran a cpu benchmark from passmark software, but that only increased temp 2 - 3 degrees.

On the bios I've set the CPU Smart Fan Control to  "manual", and slope pwm to 2.5 PWM value / C, CPU fan seems to be running at 2400rpm according to the BIOS but I can barely notice that, it doesn't do any noise and since the PSU has a cooler blowing air to that area I can't really feel anything by placing the hand around it. Should I use PWM mode or Voltage mode for the fan control? I don't think the cpu cooler will run faster than 2400rpm anyway. I may have to change the original intel core, it kinda sucks, because if its running at 2400rpm and the heatsink is clean I would expect it to run at lower temps.

Here's the log from CPUID: http://pastie.org/private/kkf7lxpasfypb6lxr043jw but it didn't seem to have logged all the core temps, but maybe someone wants to check it to see if there's something weird.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 10:48:07 pm by www »

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2012, 12:24:36 am »
Ah!  What cooler are you using?  How many pins does it's fan connector have?  If it has four pins (the stock cooler has this), set fan control to PWM; otherwise, it must be voltage-controlled.

Setting a 3-pin fan to PWM would prevent it from spinning properly, which could explain the beeping and would explain the higher-than-expected CPU temps at/near idle.

Your temps at/near idle should only be a few degrees above ambient, depending on your case cooling and CPU cooler; 60+ tells me your fan isn't spinning since your voltage isn't going nuts.

72.4c is max Tcase (the package), 100c is TJmax but you shouldn't go above 90 fully stressed.

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2012, 01:51:32 am »
Ah!  What cooler are you using?  How many pins does it's fan connector have?  If it has four pins (the stock cooler has this), set fan control to PWM; otherwise, it must be voltage-controlled.

Setting a 3-pin fan to PWM would prevent it from spinning properly, which could explain the beeping and would explain the higher-than-expected CPU temps at/near idle.

Your temps at/near idle should only be a few degrees above ambient, depending on your case cooling and CPU cooler; 60+ tells me your fan isn't spinning since your voltage isn't going nuts.

72.4c is max Tcase (the package), 100c is TJmax but you shouldn't go above 90 fully stressed.

The cooler is the one from intel that comes with the cpu (4 pins), the fan does spin, the max RPM I've seen in the BIOS is 2800RPM. As soon as I turn on the pc and I get into the bios the CPU temp shows 48c.

Now on the bios I changed VCore and PLL from auto to normal, also I went into win7 power settings and changed "maximum processor state" from 100% to 99%, also disabled intel turbo boost 2.0 on the bios.

Now the temp never reaches 60, it stays between 48c and 53c, cpuid show max 58c on one core, the others all 55c.

On my older pc temp is not a few degrees above room temp either, its about 50c all the time, 58c with load.

Maybe I should change the thermal compound, I did it a few times in 4-5 years on my older pc and that decreased the temp a little.

With SpeedFan software it looks like I only control the gpu fans, I have 4 fiels to move from 0 to 100%, only one seems to work and it controls the gpu fans, i tried settings the others to 0 then to 100, and no other coolers seems to have any effect.

btw this is the first pc I dont build myself, and it seems to be the one that needs more customizations je

update: I downloaded easytune6 from gigabyte, and disabled smart fan, now the cpu fan looks like it runs faster, because it does some noise (i think it comes from there because gpu and other case coolers hasn't increased speed) and it feels like it blows more air if I put my hand on the side of the cpu, core temps are between 47c and 51c now. Is there a way to run all fans at top speed all the time without a soft? I dont care about saving power or getting a quiet pc, im with the speakers turned on all day i dont hear anything anyway :P
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 02:16:46 am by www »

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2012, 02:38:55 am »
OK, I think the smart fan control was the problem. I disabled it in the bios, not temps are much lower, on win7 cpuid shows core temps between 43c and 50c max. But in linux they are 35c on idle, looks much better than before.

Is it normal the 8-15 degrees different between linux and windows? I use WIn only for watching tv now, once I move to using the new PC to work I will use only linux.

Also, why smart fan control is causing the fans to run slower ergo increasing all temps in the pc? it doesn't look so smart after all, or maybe I have something wrong in the config.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 02:42:26 am by www »

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2012, 03:47:01 am »
Ah, I inferred you were using an aftermarket cooler; the Intel ones are awful.  If you never put a heavy load on your CPU, it will work fine; otherwise, it will have a hard time keeping up (IBT kills it in ~5 mins, CPU down-clocks) on an overclocked CPU. (probably why they won't be including one in future offerings)  From what I hear, the stock thermal compound is very good but I couldn't say for sure.

Power isn't the only consideration: dust and longevity of the fan are as well.  There's little point in cooling more when it isn't going to matter since everything is well within tolerance.

I would guess Windows puts more of a continual load than other OSes due to all the background tasks it runs at idle (making it no longer idle) and whatever other apps you may have.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 03:48:46 am by Rolo42 »

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2012, 04:05:21 am »
Thanks a lot Rolo42, and thanks everyone who participated on this thread. I think we can say the problem is solved now. I will probably do some mods in the future to get better cooling on this computer, and yea I have read that the intel stock cooler is pretty bad.

dikal

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2012, 03:09:29 pm »
Here's the log from CPUID: http://pastie.org/private/kkf7lxpasfypb6lxr043jw but it didn't seem to have logged all the core temps, but maybe someone wants to check it to see if there's something weird.

Hi www !
this is from your log of CPUID
Temperature 0  46°C (114°F) [0x2E] (Aux)
Temperature 1  25°C (77°F) [0x19] (CPU)
Temperature 2  50°C (122°F) [0x32] (Mainboard)
Fan 0    40 RPM [0x107] (FANIN0)

The log is not correct, because your motherboard temp is "Temperature 0" (AUX) and your CPU temp is "Temperature 2" (marked as Mainboard).
You have to ignore "Temperature 1" (marked as CPU); it's value never changes.
Fan 0 (this is CPU fan - only 40 RPM) is also not correct.

I use http://www.hwinfo.com HWiNFO™, which works very well.  :)

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2012, 04:54:49 pm »

Hi www !
this is from your log of CPUID
Temperature 0  46°C (114°F) [0x2E] (Aux)
Temperature 1  25°C (77°F) [0x19] (CPU)
Temperature 2  50°C (122°F) [0x32] (Mainboard)
Fan 0    40 RPM [0x107] (FANIN0)

The log is not correct, because your motherboard temp is "Temperature 0" (AUX) and your CPU temp is "Temperature 2" (marked as Mainboard).
You have to ignore "Temperature 1" (marked as CPU); it's value never changes.
Fan 0 (this is CPU fan - only 40 RPM) is also not correct.

I use http://www.hwinfo.com HWiNFO™, which works very well.  :)

Thanks for t hat info, the fan speed doesn't work for me on cpuid, I can get cpu fan speed from the bios and from speedfan also gpu but it never worked on cpuid. I will try hwinfo later.

I am happy with the temps now, on idle in win7 core temps stay around 38c to 45c, and in linux 8 to 12 degrees lower. I guess it could be better by changing the intel cooler,  but for now it seems ok.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 05:05:49 pm by www »

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2012, 07:46:53 pm »
I'm rethinking my linux vs. Win loading theory and wondering, instead, if the linux software needs calibrating.

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2012, 09:10:06 pm »
I'm rethinking my linux vs. Win loading theory and wondering, instead, if the linux software needs calibrating.

I used "xsensors" (previously installing lm-sensors and then running sensors-detect and answering yes to everything), any advice?

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2012, 09:35:59 pm »
Not a clue, other than to check configuration for calibration (I had to do that a loooong time ago but I forget what program, platform).

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2012, 06:07:11 pm »
I have an update regarding linux vs windows temperature. On windows I had the process IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe using some CPU every few seconds, I killed it and now temps on linux and win are closer, just a few de grees higher on win.