Official GIGABYTE Forum

Using un supported CPU's in mainboards, will this cause damage?

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Using un supported CPU's in mainboards, will this cause damage?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 09:05:47 am »
As long as you follow the good advice given by Rolo42 and autotech I would say you should be fairly safe. They know what they are talking about.  ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 04:06:23 pm »
This won't fry the board; its designed for higher voltages than your CPU is and the new CPU is probably drawing less current.

1.2v is great.  72c is also great--no point in spending money on a cooler that will have zero performance impact.

The E8300's cooler is likely worse than the 955's since they're for 65W TDP and 130W, respectively.

Now, I would increase my clocks and run IBT to find how much you can overclock on those settings.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 04:08:19 pm by Rolo42 »

Jamesd

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 09:06:27 pm »
Excellent! Thats what I wanted to hear. I nearly bought a Q6600 because I was worried about the in compatability.
Really I thought 72c was high. What temperature is considered too high for this chip? Ah yeah I didn't think about that, the extreme 955's cooler is prob better. Thanks very much for all the information its put my mind right at ease. Now I am off to find an overclocking guide and play with the clocks to see what overclock I can get.

Thank you for all your help its very much appreciated.

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 11:32:07 pm »
~72c is the max case (or package) temp; max core temp is probably 100c; I wish TJmax were listed in the datasheets.  If PROCHOT goes high, you've hit TJmax and your CPU will lower its frequency and input voltage to let the package and cooler catch up.

Be concerned if you go over 90c.

Ambient temp inside the PC enclosure should remain less than 38c in order for the stock cooler to dissipate heat properly.

Jamesd

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 08:55:36 am »
Ok thanks. I clocked the chip to 3.2 last night and the temp hit 80c while running intelburn. I think the ambeint temperature in the case is a bit high, the heat pipes on my board seem to give off alot of heat and make the case temperature high. I already have all the fan spaces full though. I have a 12cm fan on the front beside the HDD rack which draws air in. I have a 12cm on the rear below the power supply blowing air out at the back and one 8cm fan on the side pannel of the case blowing air in and there aren't anymore fan spaces on the case.

Thanks for the reply

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 09:11:09 am »
Sounds good!

I would think you could go higher; I have a Wolfdale that runs 3.66GHz with minimal increase in Vcore with a Zalman 9700 cooler.

Jamesd

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 10:42:08 am »
I did have it a 3.6, Windows reported that the CPU was at 3.83 but CPUZ said it was at 3.6, but when I ran intelburn the temperature hit 88c and then the PC blue screened. So I set it to 3.2 instead and it seems fine at that. If I set the Vcore manually then the PC wont start up it freezes on the bios splash screen and I have to clear the bios using the jumper to get the PC to boot. So I dont think I will be able to raise the voltage any higher and get more from the chip.

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 05:39:47 pm »
What was Vcore when it wast at 3.6 at full load?

(At this point its more of an exercise unless you really need 3.6)

Jamesd

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 09:27:03 pm »
It was at vcore 1.36 according to cpu-z if I could increase this using the bios then perhaps it would make it stable at 3.8? The only trouble is the PC wont boot as soon as I adjust the voltage. Just to check when it says 1.3 in this bios this means set the vcore to 1.3 and not increase it by 1.3 doesn't it?

Thanks for the help

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2012, 09:29:23 am »
If you set Vcore to 1.36v, it should boot.

You may need to disable the power-saving features (C1E, EIST).

"1.3" is absolute, not relative (Asus boards, at least a few I had, were relative); you can tell the difference since the beginning values will be tiny.

Jamesd

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2012, 11:07:14 am »
I actually meant it was at vcore 1.16 at full load with intel burn not 1.36 sorry. I sent the last message from my phone and its akward to use on the phone. Sorry.

Ok thats good to know I had a fear that maybe me setting the bios to 1.3 was actually feeding it 1.3 more than what it had and not just 1.3 and thats why it didnt boot. I shall play about with the settings and see if I can get it to boot with the voltage manually set. Hmmm this overclocking is addictive, its the first time i have done it. I will have a look at the power saving settings too

Thanks again for the help

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2012, 06:08:02 pm »
I would try 1.15v or 1.2v again but with power-saving features disabled.

If that works, I would try 1.3-1.36v with them enabled.

I've always has successful (no issues for the life of the component) overclocks since my first 386, so its always paid off.

Jamesd

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2012, 10:54:39 pm »
It’s not interested at any voltage even with the power saving disabled. If I set the voltage to manual it just freezes at the bios screen and if I switch the PC off and back on then nothing happens and the screen stays off. After that the only way to get the PC to boot is by using the bios reset jumper. Weird I shall have a play with the settings and see if I can get it to boot. I have connected a spare reset switch from an old case on the bios reset pins which will make it easier to play with the settings. I had to remove one of my video cards to get to the reset pins before, which was a pain.
Wow! 386 that’s going back a few years, a 386 was one of the first PC’s I had ever seen lol. I’ll bet overclocking was harder on those? Were the frequencies settings not setup by physical switches or jumpers on the board?

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2012, 12:38:37 am »
I'm not getting any ideas on why setting it manually doesn't work at all--unless it has something to do with the Yorkshire's VID not being completely compatible with your BIOS.

Overclocking the old stuff was easier since there weren't many options.  You had a few jumpers or DIP switches and that was pretty much it.  I occasionally had to modify pins or motherboard connections for a few Pentiums, IIs, IIIs.  The most challenging overclock I had was a Toshiba Libretto 50 palmtop. I wish I had this guide at the time!  http://www.fixup.net/tips/l50.htm

Jamesd

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2012, 09:58:54 am »
I’m not sure why it won’t boot with a manual setting either. I can set the voltage to manual and leave it on normal and that works fine but as soon as I set a voltage it just won’t boot. You’re probably right and it’s something to do with the incompatibility between the board and my chip. Im not complaining though! It means I can use the E8300 which is a vast improvement over the 955 extreme chip and I can run a slight overclock on the E8300. Hopefully this will keep me going until I can afford a newer board and chip.

I always thought overclocking was a risky operation and that if done incorrectly it would break the PC so I have never attempted to overclock until now.