Official GIGABYTE Forum

Q-Flash appears, I don't know why, and I can't get out of the screen

mmb

I have a Gigabyte motherboard. This morning when I tried to start the computer, I see a screen titled:

Q-Flash Utiliy v2.23
Flash Type/Size MXIC 25L3206E 4M

There are four options shown:

Keep DMI Data (greyed out)
Load CMOS default (greyed out)
Update BIOS from drive
Save BIOS to Drive

Prior to this, I did not try to do anything to update anything on the motherboard -- this is appearing out of the blue. I was not trying to update the BIOS.

I tried RESET, I tried Load CMOS default, and tried Update BIOS from drive, then it says no drive found. Each time I pressed F10 to power off and then restarted. I don't understand what is happening and can't get the machine started. (Does this all mean that the startup processes cannot access my hard drive???) I am sending this message from my backup machine.

When I first started the computer, I did have a USB drive plugged in. Does this have something to do with that? But I unplugged it after the first try. As far as I know, the USB drive has only data on it.

The box the motherboard came in is labeled Z68MA-D2H-B3. I have no idea what to do and the folks who built my machine won't be available for another four hours. 

Thanks for any help.

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
Re: Q-Flash appears, I don't know why, and I can't get out of the screen
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 03:46:31 pm »
Hi mmb,  ;)

When you start, boot a computer... Remove before all usb and external device... like Compact Flash Reader, key usb... (keep keyboad and mouse of course)

Do not touch a END key. Because is it go to Q-Flash ...

In past time, When the Ram test is waiting to obtain total Ram, he exist a posibility to stop a test of RAM with END or ESC Key... But now... make attention...

If you go to Bios... in Bios do not touch F8 key...

Maybe your keyboard have a problem with key touch. Check with other keyboard...

Gloup_Gloup
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 03:52:12 pm by Gloup_Gloup »

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 04:33:17 pm »
After trying Gloup Gloup's suggestion, if it doesn't work, use the CMOS clear jumper per the manual.

If that doesn't work, download your latest BIOS onto a USB drive/memory card, plug it in and try to update again.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 03:47:12 pm »
I would agree but dont clear the CMOS as per the manual instructions as Rolo42 mentioned as they often don't work very well. It is much better to do it this way:

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery for at least ten minutes before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Optimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self like disabling the floppy drive, disabling the full screen logo and making the HDD the primary boot device and then press F10 to save and exit.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 05:58:17 pm »
I would agree but dont clear the CMOS as per the manual instructions as Rolo42 mentioned as they often don't work very well.
How so?

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 07:35:40 pm »
Because often the procedure doesn't work fully. That is why we always advise thelonger way. Sometimes just pushing the button can work but not always.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 11:06:46 pm »
Because often the procedure doesn't work fully. That is why we always advise thelonger way. Sometimes just pushing the button can work but not always.

Yes! ... Agreed! ... I remember one Australian "Ding Bat" a couple of years ago that couldn't  follow that advice .... two weeks and twenty pages later he finally followed that simple advice ..... a simple extended overnight reset with the battery out was all that was required...........Oh! .... Hang on! ..... that was me!..........Delete, ....Delete......Delete.

Aussie Allan  ;D
i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage
C: Evo 970 Pro 512gb
Scratch:Evo 970 Plus 512gb

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 09:33:51 am »

That doesn't answer my question, how could it fail?

I've never had a clear CMOS jumper not clear CMOS.  Removing the battery was the method prior to CMOS clear jumpers being on the board and overnight isn't necessary (Overclocking would take a month!) as NVRAM loses its contents within microseconds.

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 10:15:05 am »
Sometimes that's just how it works?   I know I've pulled the CMOS battery out of a P67 board, cleared the CMOS for 1-2 minutes with jumper and drained remaining onboard power with the power button (First), put battery back in and all settings still there time never reset, ect.   Sometimes when you are having problems, not overclocking really but it can apply too, a extended clearing of the CMOS can help more than anything else.

It's not often needed, but when nothing else works it's always worth a shot!   As for the onboard buttons, and even jumpers, if you push or short those for 1-2 minutes or less, with or without the PSU unplugged it often will clear your settings, but the CMOS will not be cleared and reset fully as noted by not having to reset the date/clock everytime you clear the CMOS.   

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 10:48:51 am »
Absolutely! A good explanation and the difference between experience and theory.  ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Aussie Allan

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 12:32:17 pm »
  Rolo .... this gets me in trouble at times .... But take it as an friendly explanation and there'll be no problem ;) ..... (these first figures are hypothetical , do not quote them in your inevitable argument) ;) :D

Lets say we have 1000 main-boards enter the market ...... of that 1000 ... we might hear about 10 to 20 of them on the forum ....generally it will be configuration issues along with compatibility of components ...... so what we deal with here when posted ..... is not the perfect 980 boards.....but the 10 to 20 that really do generally have problems ranging from .....Ding-bat configuration, ....small Nigelie  issues the customer are willing to live with through to the RMA

perhaps if it try and explain what I , DM, Absic Lsdmeasapand a few 100 other happy customers now believe to be fact ..... we participate  in a public forum to help people less fortunate then ourselves regards computers, configuration , clocking and several other related subjects ..... sometimes through experience we find things that don't fit into the strict " This is not what the manufacturer states in the manual" it,s not a perfect world..... this is why the infamous 9128 chip can be put into a million plus boards ;)

So the majority understand, ....and I'll use the term "Diode" loosely .... the manufactures state in a perfect world ... using the reset jumpers works in Milli-seconds ...... in the real world , the lower the voltage used , the lower the +- tolerance .... power can and will leak back in via Capacitors and coils splattered around the system that still hold residual power .... this is why terms such as "Unplugging from the mains".... "cycling the power button several times to drain residual power" ...."Popping the battery even over night" ...... their all about killing every last instance of power so the chip can actually reset completely.

I know my board for a fact!....... will boot back up to the older settings if I just stab the reset button every time..... mine takes  about a 2 min procedure including mains out, cycling the front power button several times then holding the clear button for at least 15 seconds...... after 100s of resets while clocking my system over the last year.....I know this to be the minimum I can get away "with my system" .... As the PC god states...."THERE ALL DIFFERENT".  .... Hope this helps

P.S  Some times we have to talk and write not as technical as we like too ..... but so 90% of people reading can understand ;)

Aussie Allan
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 12:39:02 pm by Aussie Allan »
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 06:23:17 pm »
Sorry, I'm just seeing an "old wives' tale" here.  I probably should have been more clear: Speaking as an electronics engineer, how could this fail?

There is no "extended clearing...", as I said, it happens in microseconds.  I'm looking for the theory, I suppose, because, in practice, I've never witnessed an issue with unplug/remove battery (pre-jumper) or using the jumper in the...nearly a thousand, if not that many, PCs I've built, rebuilt, repaired in the last 23 years.

It isn't complex in that there isn't a "theoretical maximum throughput"-type situation that is only achievable in a perfect vacuum; it's like saying your light bulb doesn't go out every time you flip the switch to OFF "just because".

Aussie Allan

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 06:55:13 pm »

Sir Rolo .... what did I say about the inevitable argument .... ;D .... you are fun to have around!

" It isn't complex in that there isn't a "theoretical maximum throughput"-type situation that is only achievable in a perfect vacuum;"....

This what I was talking about when stating , we need to put it in a language on the forum so most can comprehend ..... would you mind putting it into layman terms and explain what the Helicopter your talking about :D :D ...... but besides all this, you must be the god-dam-luckiest person I have ever had the pleasure to meet ......... but still would gladly give me left knacker to see the look on your face, ....... when you are forced to do a extended reset one day....   ...   ...   ...   ...   ...   All fun aside

It's a democracy buddy ..... no one has a problem on the forun if you post your beliefs ... as long as you don't mind reading ours....

Aussie Allan
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 12:44:41 am »
  Sir Rolo .... what did I say about the inevitable argument .... ;D .... you are fun to have around!

- I'm not arguing; I just never got an answer to my question.  I'm going to hold you to that second statement when you want, eventually, to install a power supply--at high velocity--into the back of my head.

This what I was talking about when stating , we need to put it in a language on the forum so most can comprehend ..... would you mind putting it into layman terms and explain what the Helicopter your talking about

- I'm not one for dumbing things down.  If I am unclear, anyone can ask for clarification; it's how we learn from others' experiences.  I'll not be so condescending to assume that I know another's ability to learn or comprehend better than they do.  Besides, I included the light-bulb parallel (please tell me that wasn't over your head!  Get it?  You can't answer that without losing 'cos the light bulb-over-the-head represents ideas, thought...nyuk nyuk).  Besides, my so-not-technical wife understood it.  :)

you must be the god-dam-luckiest person I have ever had the pleasure to meet

- My biography would challenge that.  :P

It's a democracy buddy ..... no one has a problem on the forun if you post your beliefs ... as long as you don't mind reading ours....

- Beliefs?  Oh, so this 'extended' clear does involve ritual sacrifice?

I would assert that any perceived experiences of the CMOS not clearing per its manual were due to operator error.

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 08:39:18 am »
That's all I have to say about that  ;D  :-*