Official GIGABYTE Forum

GTX 580 Superoverclock

GTX 580 Superoverclock
« on: January 29, 2012, 05:52:11 am »
**Relevant PC specs**
CPU: Intel 2600k (OC to 4.5ghz)
MOBO: Gigabyte g1.Sniper 2
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 580 Superoverclock x 2 (SLI)      GV-N580SO-15I
PSU: Corsair 1050HX / Silverstone strider 1200w http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=284&area=usa

Hi everyone!

Problem: Since day of purchase I have been having some difficulty with this computer. As the thread states, there is an audible clicking noise that can be heard over all computer parts and well outside the case.

Vysnc disabled, there is a high pitch squeeling noise. With vysnc enabled the noise changes to a fast clicking noise. The only way I can think of describing this sound is liken to how you would use your tongue to make the sound of a machine gun firing constantly.
Please note, these sounds only occur when GPU are under load.

Testing: My first assumption was that the sound was being produced by the GPU's through coil whine / capictors. I tested each GPU individually, they both produced the same sounds. I had to RMA one of the GPU's because of a loose fan bearing; I was sent a new replacement card of the same model, this GPU also produced the same noise when under load.

My brother has the same setup as me, except he has two 6950's. His computer also produced the same clicking noise but only more louder. Due to warranty I am unwilling to open the case and part of warranty the place of purchase can inspect the parts. The technician found that the PSU was responsible and has now been RMA'd.

Back to my computer; the technician's summary made me started to think it had something to do with the PSU and perhaps the GPU's were not producing the sound. So I removed the GTX 580's and installed my previous card, a GTX 275. With vysnc on/off the GPU did not produce any audible sound from afar. By placing my ear next to the GPU, a very faint buzzing noise same as my GTX 580's would produce was there but again, it was barely audible.

I went further with the testing by taking out the PSU from the case and placing at a distance far enough to be distinctively audible from other computer parts. I reinstalled the GTX 580's and ran a game, the PSU was making the exact same clicking noise as the GPU's. With vysnc off, the high pitched squeeling noise was also present on both the PSU and the GPU's.
In summary, whatever clicking / squeeling noise being produced by the GPU's was also occuring on the PSU; although somewhat fainter but still very much audible.

I have since replaced the PSU with a silverstone strider 1200w gold, which has capacitors inside the PCIe cables to help reduce 'buzzing' noises from high end GPUs. But...again still the same sound. I'm not sure if this was present previously, but every so often I can hear small intervals of an electrical hum coming form the GPUs even when the computer is idle.

Thankyou, I apologise for the amount of text. Any help provided will be much appreciated!

Kind regards,
Mike.M

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: GTX 580 Superoverclock
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 08:31:55 am »
Hi

I don't suppose theat you have accesss to a UPS that you could try to condition the incoming mains supply reaching the PSU ? If you can borrow one at least it would remove that from the list of possibilities.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 10:10:52 am »
Hi

I don't suppose theat you have accesss to a UPS that you could try to condition the incoming mains supply reaching the PSU ? If you can borrow one at least it would remove that from the list of possibilities.

Hello and thankyou for your reply.

Unfortunately I do not have access to UPS at present, I may be able to purchase one tomorrow. I also want to update that when I benchmark using Furmark there are no buzzing/squeeling noises; only sounds emitted are those of the increased RPM in the fans which is perfectly normal.

It is strange that having tested 3 different Gigabyte GTX 580 Superoverclock (GV-N580SO-15I) that they all made a buzzing noises under load or even during general activites such as scrolling a webpage. To negate the possibility of a faulty PSU, I switched the GPU with a Gigabyte GTX 275 superoverclock and found that there was no buzzing / high frequency sound made, whether or not vysnc was enabled.

Is this normal? It can be quite maddening at times with the loudness of this. It can easily be heard 3 meters away over multiple fans and a Corsair H80 cooling unit.

Kind regards,
Mike.M

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 12:13:04 pm »
Is this normal? It can be quite maddening at times with the loudness of this. It can easily be heard 3 meters away over multiple fans and a Corsair H80 cooling unit.

I wouldn't say so. If possible see if you can test your system somewhere else in case it is a power supply issue. It would at least remove that from the equation. It just seems funny that you have had three all exhibiting the same problem.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

mycrus

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 02:23:14 pm »
have 2 GTX580 SOC SLI - i'm hearing a clicking sound once in awhile and never thought that it could come from the graphics card... i also reckon it was one of the other fans..

it's just a faint one click that repeats sparsely (not related to load level or fan level)...

these cards are great btw, i have it at 950MHz stable 80+C temps
i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz
Corsair H100 with 4 Noctua P12s in Push/Pull
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z
4 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance
2 x GTX580 SOC SLI
2 x OCX Vertex 3 240GB in Raid 0 (Boot)
1 x WD Black 500GB (Backup)
Corsair AX1200
Cooler Master HAF932 Advanced with 14 Noctua fans
3 x Acer GD245HQA 23.4"

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 04:49:14 pm »
Sorry been awhile since I've updated...

Ok I'm 110% its the Gigabyte GTX 580 SOC cards being the culprit.

As I said, I tested it with a spare GPU which barely made an audible noise. I purchased a new Power supply being the silverstone strider 1200w GOLD, which has capacitors at the end of the PCIe cables which are suppose to help with 'high end gpu electrical noises'.

And the buzzing is still there :(

Its really just damn bothersome that not 1, not 2 but 3 Gigabyte GTX 580 Superoverclock cards have had the same problem with me. I've been going around forums and everything is pointing to either coil/capacitor whine or inductor. Surely this is abnormal, everything written on the box raves about solid japanese capacitors and good electrical noise absorption properties.

I live in Australia and Gigabyte's Warranty is somewhat ambiguous. What I read on their warranty agreement, GPU's warranty is dealt with place of purchase, so I assume Gigabyte would not personally handle an RMA request from me, but rather only from the place of purchase? Can you please provide any clarification on this matter. I would much rather handle this personally with Gigabyte than going back to place of purchase.

Thanks!
Kind regards

Michael.M

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 08:41:07 am »
I know that Gigabyte Australia has a very good record of sorting out problems in the past although it is recommended that you go to the retailer first. Why not try going through the shop and then liase with Gigabyte if necessary.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB