Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X79-UD5 random freeze during startup, USB and PS/2 power loss

GA-X79-UD5 random freeze during startup, USB and PS/2 power loss
« on: February 01, 2012, 12:28:55 pm »
Hi,

I've recently bought components for a new pc and assembled it just last weekend. Unfortunately, I am having much trouble getting it up and running.

In fact, I am not able to even reinstall Windows 7 (64bits).

This feels like a punishment for getting the latest hardware. It's been awhile since I last put my own PC together and was very excited of course with the quite high specs. Only to be disappointed that the bloody system constantly keeps freezing up on me, and I notice a USB power loss as well, the lights on the mouse and also my PS/2 Keyboard switch off.

This seems to me a hardware issue, and I have no idea what to do now, or how to fix this.

I did a memtest and all is fine there. I use both SSD drive and HDD drive. I tried installing on either drive, and disconnect the other completely, but get the same results.

The system freezes upon loading Windows during boot screen. I thought at first it was perhaps a driver issue, but interestingly the USB power goes off, PS/2 power goes off as the lights on the mouse and keyboard switch off. The screen freezes of course, sometimes with artifacts on screen, and after about 5 minutes waiting the systems resets itself automatically.

I did manage to get through the windows install one time for a little while. Still it would lock up every few minutes, with all the updated drivers installed.
During the short time Windows was running, it was very strange - the system would lock up *every single time* I tried to play a (youtube) HTML5 video. Flash video no problem, but HTML5 video would load and then freeze the system ???

I thought it might be a driver issue and decided to reinstall windows, but ever since it's been freezing on me again when booting up.

I run the system at default BIOS settings, no overclock at all, I use the latest MB BIOS version. I also tried unplugging all unnecessery devices, USB cables, USB front ports etc, only connect 1 hard drive, installing on separeate drives etc. and I swapped the sata ports around, but none of it makes a difference.

Any thoughts anyone?? What to do now? I have a brand new, currently useless, system :-(

My feeling is now it could be related to the X79 chipset either or in combination with my GFX card (Nvidia GTX 590) or the Motherboard itself.

Note that I did a Google search and have been able to find reports of similar problems on other forums, but no clear answers.

I believe we might see more of this problem as the X79 platform combined with i7-3930k processor becomes more mainstream.

My system:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 rev. 1.0
CPU: Intel i7-3930k
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4x4 GB
PSU: Nexus RX-1K 1000W Modular
SSD: Crucial m4 128Gb (Sata 6)
HDD: WD Caviar Green WD15EARX (Sata 6)
Optical: Blue-Ray LG BH10LS30
Video: Nvidia GTX 590 (Asus ENGTX590/3DIS/3GD5)

I will also post this message in an Intel support forum and an Nvidia forum.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: GA-X79-UD5 random freeze during startup, USB and PS/2 power loss
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 03:58:22 pm »
Hi and welcome.

Gigabyte has just released some new BIOS files.

I would suggest that you download and install the latest BIOS version available. Make sure that you use QFlash to run the update and disable the Keep DMI Data on the QFlash homepage.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 06:07:19 pm »
If you are referring to F8, I already have that one.

ex58

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 11:40:27 pm »
Latest is F9b for UD5.Be sure run "Optimized Defaults"after BIOS flash.
Try to run only with 1 or 2 stick of RAM or with 4 sticks try to increase VTT voltage.
Did you try to set XMP in BIOS?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 11:42:30 pm by ex58 »

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 11:35:16 am »
If only video is freezing the system, it could be the graphics card causing issues.  Is this a new card, or have you used it previously on other systems without issue?

If it's new, can you test it in another system with video and see if it also causes the same problem there?

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 12:48:18 pm »
 ;D

Problem solved! Who would have thought!

I updated to F9b BIOS,  which has "magically" solved all my problems, system now running stable with no problems so far!
Unbelievable.

Amazing that you buy new hardware and out of the box it gives nothing but problems...
But at least it has been solved!

Thanks for your suggestions!

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 01:34:45 pm »
Awesome to hear!!  BIOS update should always be the first thing you do with a motherboard, sometimes there might be 5-10 newer versions with tons of fixes since the version flashed on the board when it shipped out from the factory, so it's always best to update this before you get going on anything else.

Post back anytime if you need more help with anything!

ex58

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 01:36:23 pm »
Nice that you solve your problem.
 ;D

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 07:55:19 pm »
If I can jump in on this?  I am experiencing very occasional random freezes on my new X79-UD5 system.  I have the latest BIOS offered on the Gigabyte web-site (F8).

I have 8 sticks of 4 GB Corsair XMS3 memory installed, and memory tests show no problem.

The F9b BIOS mentioned by ex58 is presumably a beta?  How safe is this?  I ask because when I updated my BIOS from the F3 on the purchased board to F8 on one BIOS chip, the other was automatically updated at the next boot.  This seems to me to cancel the benefit of having dual BIOS.

Increasing Vtt voltage is also mentioned.  I have tried to do this, but it appears to be locked on auto.  I have been unable to find a setting that frees it.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 05:53:48 pm »
Beta is perfectly fine, they are all I EVER use, so I would suggest you try it out especially since you are having issues.   You can always flash back if you don't like it.

Dual BIOS doesn't need different versions, and it often helps with stability if they do match.   Dual BIOS purpose is if you corrupt one BIOS the other would still be bootable, version doesn't matter.  That's not always done automatically, generally that only happens if the BIOS sizes are different, or if they update Qflash in the BIOS.  You can flash the backup yourself manually by switch if your board has one, or as shown in this video
http://gigabytedaily.blogspot.com/2011/02/video-guide-how-to-update-your-backup.html

You need to change voltage control to manual, right above the Vcore setting, then you can adjust the QPI/Vtt

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 10:08:27 am »
Thanks,

I will give that a try, though the system seems to have settled now, no freezes since Tuesday.

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 06:13:48 pm »
Good to hear everything seems to be running smoothly for you now!  If it starts acting up again I'd go ahead and try the latest BIOS before any further troubleshooting.

bc_808

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 01:11:56 am »
Hijack, sort of... I have not seen the startup menu at all. The system fans run like normal, but then beeps (beeeep, beep, beep, beep). The rear panel BIOS switch goes from green to blue, then green again. All I get is a black screen, that's it, the system can stay like this if left on; I left it on for at least 30 minutes. I've tried a few things that I've found in the forum, like going to the backup BIOS, no help; same black screen. I am yet to find clear concise directions for the BIOS switch or clear CMOS button, other than it suppose help me if I mess something up. Well I haven't had the chance to mess anything up yet, or to see any BIOS setting. Anyone have idea what's going here?

Mahalo,
bc

Fatman

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 01:58:57 am »
Can you list your hardware and is this a new build?

Tried re-seating your Graphics card?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 02:02:03 am by Fatman »

bc_808

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 02:34:58 am »
Update: I was using my Samsung monitor with HDMI cable. I dug up my DVI cable and used that, I SEE A STARTUP SCREEN NOW! It says CMOS Checksum Error. I choose load Optimized defaults and reboot. Fingers crossed.

Sorry about that.

GA-X79-UD5
i7-3930K w/ H60 cooler
32GB DDR3 1600 GSkill RAM (4x8GB) currently only 1 stick installed in slot 1
SanDisk Extreme SSD 240GB (SATA_0)
750W Antec PSU
GV-R585OC-1GD
Win7 Ult 64 bit

I have pulled the card twice now, to pull out the battery underneath. I think I need to clarify a bit. After completing the build last night and before trying to install Win 7, I started system to enter BIOS to check RAM settings, choose Optimised Defaults, etc. While tapping on DEL key after power ON, system beeps (beeeeep, beep, beep, beep), then just showed black screen; fans all running normally. Rear BIOS switch would change from green to blue, but nothing. Frustrated, I loaded the install DVD in my drive and let it go, then saw the Press any key to install from DVD, so i did. 11 minutes to complete install. I installed all drivers from disc and rebooted. Then I ran windows update and started @BIOS to update from F8 to F10. I still have never seen a startup screen or was able to enter the setup menu. Xpress Recovery was active now though. This morning, I pressed the BIOS button on the back and tried to start, nothing but running fans, beeps and a black screen. I tried the Clear CMOS button, removing battery for an hour, etc. No startup screen, no Xpress Recovery, just fans, beeps and black screen. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

bc
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 02:48:50 am by bc_808 »