Official GIGABYTE Forum

Worst experience after a wake up from S3 (GA-MA770T-UD3P)

mareg

Worst experience after a wake up from S3 (GA-MA770T-UD3P)
« on: November 06, 2009, 01:36:30 pm »
Hi,

I had the worst experience ever this morning after a wake up from sleep mode (S3).
The system proceeded to wake up as usual but took extra time as if I was booting up from a shut down.
After about 30sec, I hit the reset switch to no avail. Then I tried a hard shut down (kept the power switch pressed for 10sec) to NO AVAIL !!!%?
Then after about 30sec more, the system did shutdown by itself.
At that point I was a little scared. But what really scared me is when it refused to boot back up  :o

I had to switch the power supply off. Wait 2 minutes. Then power supply on.

After that the system did power on. I was then greeted to a Checksum error message in the main bios image. Then it proceeded to recover automatically. I was on the F3 revision. It went back all the way to the F1 !!!

What could possibly cause such a meltdown ? My system has been rock solid from the day I bought it back at the beginning of June.
I'm very afraid that something might be up.

On a side note, that gave me a reason to upgrade to the F4 revision :)

kangoo

Re: Worst experience after a wake up from S3 (GA-MA770T-UD3P)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 07:56:39 am »
must have been some error in the bios chip probably. good  :) you have dual bios motherboard

is it ok now with bios f4 ?

ETNiES

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 05:05:28 pm »
How can you be waking up from  suspended mode and booting from a shut down at the same time?  ???
If I had a hammer.. I'd hammer in morning.

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 06:14:02 pm »
I've seen similar things in the past.

Sometimes hardware locks up. Probably due to electrical interference (mains noise, mobile phone nearby, etc.). The only remedy is to remove the mains plug for a couple of minutes to ensure that the electronics is 100% without power and can perform what we call 'a hard reset'.

Which is why professionals often totally power down a server and don't use the suspend mode.

nicolatesla

• what, the rabbit?
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 05:41:50 am »
Hi,

I had the worst experience ever this morning after a wake up from sleep mode (S3).
The system proceeded to wake up as usual but took extra time as if I was booting up from a shut down.
After about 30sec, I hit the reset switch to no avail. Then I tried a hard shut down (kept the power switch pressed for 10sec) to NO AVAIL !!!%?
Then after about 30sec more, the system did shutdown by itself.
At that point I was a little scared. But what really scared me is when it refused to boot back up  :o

I had to switch the power supply off. Wait 2 minutes. Then power supply on.

After that the system did power on. I was then greeted to a Checksum error message in the main bios image. Then it proceeded to recover automatically. I was on the F3 revision. It went back all the way to the F1 !!!

What could possibly cause such a meltdown ? My system has been rock solid from the day I bought it back at the beginning of June.
I'm very afraid that something might be up.

On a side note, that gave me a reason to upgrade to the F4 revision :)

Had any "microsoft updates" lately?
I turned off my updates because the updates were causing all kinds of weird problems.
Now I run with no updates, far fewer problems.
Giga GA-MA790FXT-UD5P, Phenom II 945 X4, Gskill 4GB, Coolermaster, Sapphire HD4870, Velociraptor HDD, 7 fans, Antec 550+, Acer 24" LCD. "I tried Asus, then I bought a real motherboard."

splatoid

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 04:49:44 pm »
I have had to turn off my power supply and let it sit for a minute or so to get my system to boot from a cold startup not every time but anough to catch me off guard. Been that way from day one. Hasnt done it for a mounth or so now so who knows.