Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-A75M-D2H onboard video failure

GA-A75M-D2H onboard video failure
« on: February 11, 2012, 07:42:02 pm »
I built a new system using this motherboard an AMD A8-3850 Llano 2.9GHz Socket FM1, 16Gb of G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 (PC12800) Ram, with a OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W power supply using a Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard drive. I got this specifically because I wanted a HDMI video motherboard to use for non gaming web surfing, email etc. Everything worked great on initial installation using Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit), all drivers installed, updates, and programs. After finishing installation I boxed the computer up and it sat for maybe a week or so, pulled it out of the box, connected everything up, and booted. No video at all nothing on HDMI, VGA, or DVI, tried resetting cmos, removing and alternating ram dimms, removed cpu and reseated, nothing worked. My question is, has anyone else had this issue or is this a new bug for this chipset? I really like this board but I am reluctant to RMA it if they'll just send me another one with the same issue. Or should I just buy a inexpensive PCI-Express video card and throw in there to see if that resolves the issue? Any input is very much appreciated!!! Thanks from the USA!

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: GA-A75M-D2H onboard video failure
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 12:46:40 pm »
Hi and welcome.

Well there is very limited things you can do with no graphics output at all, so I think the first one would be to try and clear the CMOS for an extended time and see if that helps. Please follow these instructions exactly.

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery for at least one hour before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Optimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self like disabling the floppy drive, disabling the full screen logo and making the HDD the primary boot device and then press F10 to save and exit.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 12:49:35 pm »
Sadly that didn't work, CMOS batter was removed for nearly an entire day, reinserted and booted up, and still nothing. I hate dissing a new Gigabyte product because I've depended on them for many years, but this model apparently wasnt' fully tested before RTM. This issue is a major stumbling block in their development as far as I am concerned. I'm going to try a separate PCI-Express video card and see if that resolves the situation, and pray it doesn't fry that as well.  :(

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 03:07:27 pm »
Hi there,

as the Llano is an APU the graphics are actually integrated into the processor and are not directly part of the motherboard. It could be that the APU is faulty and not the motherboard.

Using a separate graphics card to see if the motherboard works OK is probably the best way forward here. If you do that and the graphics and motherboard work then it might be the processor that needs RMA'ing and not the motherboard.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.