Official GIGABYTE Forum

profile1 for 990fxa-ud5 can't get ram to run past 1333.

profile1 for 990fxa-ud5 can't get ram to run past 1333.
« on: January 21, 2012, 01:04:09 am »
I know this is a common problem and I hope it's not too redundant. Can anyone tell me what the profile 1 is? I have corsair dominator 2 x 4 gigs and I can't seem to get it to run much faster than 1333. I have optimised settings applied. Thanks in advance to anyone nice enough to take time to help me.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: profile1 for 990fxa-ud5 can't get ram to run past 1333.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 09:00:47 am »
Hi there,

I have found that it is actually better to manually set the speed, timings and voltage for RAM rather than using the profile settings.

By default the motherboard will have set the RAM to the JDEC Standard of 1333MHz at 1.5V. Depending on which models of Dominator RAM you have you may find that to go above 1333MHz you will also need to increase the RAM Voltage to 1.65V.

The Speed and Timings of the RAM are set in the MIT Section of BIOS under the sub-heading DRAM Configuration. Change Set Memory clock to Manual then the Memory Clock option becomes available and you need to change this to X8.00 (=1600MHz).
DCT's Mode should be left at Unganged
DDR3 Timing Items changed to Manual then the Timing Options will become available. Here is where you change the timings for your particular RAM Modules. You will need to check these against their specifications but will be something like 9,9,9,24,2T

To change the Voltage for the RAM (if needed) you need to change the System Voltage Control in the MIT Section from Auto to Manual. Then change the DRAM Voltage to the rated value for your RAM.

If you are running an Athlon or Phenom ii processor on the board you might want to check this thread before changing anything: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2515.0.html
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 04:46:53 pm »
Hi and you really don't know how much I appreciate your time and help. I have been having a lot of trouble with this board. I'm a refugee from asus and nividia chipsets. I'm used to going to nvidia and finding the chipset driver and un-ticking the firewall and installing. I'm defficient in ram especially and chipsets. I made the move to ddr3 amd chips and sata3. I feel like gigabyte is as good or better than asus.  I have an amd 4100 zambezi am3+ in this build. I'm sorry to reply so late I've  literally been spending all my spare time downloading, wiping, installing etc....  I ran into a problem that I need to address before my ram issue because I'm guessing getting the ram  stable will be a bear. I can't find chipset in my device manager and I can't get the chipset driver from gigabyte's website to take. I looked on amd and even autodetected and I guess 9 series chip drivers aren't out yet. I'm kind of freaked by this chipset issue. I'm embarrased to post simple issues and embarassed that I honestly don't know if the lan driver is the chipset, I wouldn't think it would be but I'm newb. I installed the chipset driver from the mobo install cd and it went to network adapter it's  realtek PCIe GBE family controller. That didn't seem right, since the chipset is amd. I download the driver extract and it goes nowhere. Is it possible the board is defective?  I will refer back to your guide to oc'ing the ram and truly do thank you.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 03:58:36 am »
I just posted a reply to your other post about this here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,8114.0.html
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 02:08:16 pm »
hey main is the same board but i heve 12 gigas of ram they suport 1600 mhz but my bios only detect 1333mhz is this is the sing of my sticks corsairXMS3CMX8GX3M2A1600C9, please some one there whit some help about my cpu is amd fx8150 @ 4300mhz i was think on get de 16 gigas totaly for see if i can get them to 1600 but please i ned some imformacion first before go spend many!