Official GIGABYTE Forum

2600k overclock

Nathn

2600k overclock
« on: February 11, 2012, 07:18:10 am »
System - 2600k, Z68X-UD5-B3 and a air cooled d-14 noctua system.

Hey guys. I'm running 4.5 ghz with my vcore as 1.345. Does this setup seem ok? Is there a min and max range I should be in range with with 4.5ghz for the vcore?

I also wanted to ask a few questions in regards to my bios settings I have PWM frequency control, CPU over current protection and internal CPU PLL over voltage all enabled on auto. Does this seem to be ok?

Everything under power management is set to auto except for the Multi Steps load line that I have put under level 2. I would like to know what this means aswell

I obtained my settings from a guide and have found this setup to be stable so far under prime 95 and temps to be fairly good aswell.. In saying that what temps should I be looking at with idle and under load?

Cheers.

*update* I'm upping the vcore little by little from 1.35 to find stability from prime 95 (keeping a eye on temps from HW Monitor) . Are you guys running prime in the mode of in place large ftt's with 8 torture test threads to run? thats what I'm currently testing it under.. is this correct?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 10:04:18 am by Nathn »

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
Re: 2600k overclock
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 10:20:55 pm »
1.52v is max; http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/core-i7-lga-2011-datasheet-vol-1.html

I use Prime95, IntelBurnTest, Metro2033 timedemo.

When I'm happy with Prime95 for several hours, I run IBT for an hour or two.

Passing these, I run the most intense gaming timedemo I can find for an hour.

Finally, I run all three concurrently for several hours.  After that, I'm happy my setup is stable and won't cause problems later.

My wife and I run 4.2GHz with everything on auto (no voltage changes, no load line, nothing); I was able to get 4.5 but with more aggressive settings than yours but it isn't necessary for me right now (have yet to see this CPU taxed).  You may wish to see how fast you can go with default settings and go from there.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 09:08:08 am »
As Rolo has said the auto settings should work fine for this platform unless you want to really push the limits. This setup runs so easilly with just an increase in the multiplier that most other settings can be left on default.

The amount of testing you do to "prove" the overclock is up to you. I see that Rolo likes to really make certain but personally I wouldn't go that far. However it is a personal choice when you feel that stability is reached.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 05:51:49 pm »
'Cos I really, really, re-hee-ha-heeeeeeeely do not want to have problems and have to reinstall 522 programs again later!

And when I have an issue in the future, I won't question whether overclocking is the cause (I've never had a problem caused by overclocking and I've never had a CPU fail).

Nathn

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 04:30:30 am »
I've been running into problems last few days..

These are my bios settings at the moment.

I played around with the vcore and found when I put it on auto it seems to be stable under prime 95.

I have a few questions though.

Voltage:

- Is it ok for my cpu vcore to be set on auto?
- Should I be changing the multisteps load line?
- Should I be changing any other settings?

Ghz:

- Do these setting look ok to you guys?

Help and advice would really be appreciated as I just want my computer to function normally.

Cheers

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 06:12:50 am »
- You can leave the power saving options enabled (the last four) on these and still overclock

- I don't know the need for upping the turbo power limit

- Does your memory not have XMP?

Nathn

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 06:22:52 am »
Ok, so I can turn off pll overvoltage then? I have corsair vengance, I dont know what XMP is.

If I leave vcore to auto I've been told that the system will always put more volts through then needed and it might overheat quicker.. whats your thoughts on this? I could always just change it through to the value I see on the left side like its saying 1.335? or even lower then testing for stability..

Should I be changing any setting from multistep load line?

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 04:50:03 pm »
If you leave voltage on auto and leave power saving settings enabled, voltage will scale with the load (i.e. right now my voltage is 1.044 rather than being forced to a higher value at all times).

Forcing a continuous voltage won't hurt it but that is putting more voltage than needed and won't provide enough under heavy load if you haven't specified the highest amount it could ever need.

XMP = Xtreme Memory Profiles; think of it as SPD Mark II.  Enable it to see if those chips have XMP (or look them up).

My original suggestion was to find out how fast you can go without voltage changes, etc., then decide if you want to push it further.  If you do, you'll have to play with it to see what combination works; you'd better research it (there are guides posted here) first.

Nathn

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 06:26:46 am »
all sorted, cheers.