Official GIGABYTE Forum

Microsoft Office 2010 Proffesional Plus and Grrrrrroove

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics
Microsoft Office 2010 Proffesional Plus and Grrrrrroove
« on: February 14, 2012, 09:06:05 am »
   Well I have a problem that's got me beat ATM, .... we all have our weak point ..... this seems to be mine  :'(

Ive been doing battle for two days now with my OS (W7-64 Pro) any and all updates refuse to take (Fail) the one exception was "SilverLight" .....which takes validation confirmation out of the equation ( yes the genuine logo is in place)

when trying to install Office 2010 pro plus, .... I get an error of "please remove third party Legacy Groove or Microsoft groove server services" before install can continue...... error codes given point to Groove services and or Malware .......Norton 360 picks up diddly squat even in safe mode ...... Norton is my main wall but I also use "Super AntiSpyware" ..... I leave it on my system in an inactive state to save resources but it continually picks up (when run) things when used that Norton misses consistently .....really handy new feature in the latest version that allows you to pr-configure to go back up to 365 days instead of the generic 30 (modified file movement) this picked up over 20 valid hits over Norton but still no joy

Safe mode by Norton , .....safe mode Norton root kit, .... Norton Bootable root kit, .... install in safe mode of MS Office 2010 pro, ... change install path ...... rip out any and all references to MS Office and groove through explorer..........all have failed to fix the problem.

the only two I can find re "Groove services"  has/was SilverLight and DropBox ..... removing these two has had no effect ..... still cannot install or update the OS ...... one worrying piece I read was Adobe CS5 Extended was included in possible groove conflicts  :o you must be kidding me Microsoft

What am I missing Guys .... any and all help or opinions gladly excepted ..... Winning entry gets a bag of jelly-Beans. ;D

Aussie Allan

Update! ..... Forgot to add ...... hardare changes made in desperation :D ... system running at Optimized default settings, Revo OS Drive only with optical ...... still no Joy!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 09:44:49 am by Aussie Allan »
i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage
C: Evo 970 Pro 512gb
Scratch:Evo 970 Plus 512gb

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Microsoft Office 2010 Proffesional Plus and Grrrrrroove
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 10:12:19 am »
Hi Allan,

I would love to be able to help you fix it but nothing springs to mind that you haven't already covered and Groove is not a program I am familiar with at all.

Do you get the same issue when it is run in safe mode ?

I will keep thinking about it and maybe something will come to mind.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 10:32:04 am »
Usually, whenever I have been faced with a similar scenario, I go back to the beginning and do a clean install of the OS and drivers and then try to find which program (if any) is causing the problem.

Before doing a clean install I also make a System Image so that I can restore to the current setup if I feel the need to do so. Or I use a spare drive to do the clean install and then flip between the two in an effort to find the conflict. It all depends on how much time you really want to spend on trying to find the cause of the issue.

Apart from that suggestion, I'm afraid that, like DM, I too am at a loss as to what is going on. The only time I ever had a similar problem was when I was running an NVidia GPU and it was the NVidia drivers that were the culprit. I'm not saying that is the issue here but, from experience, that is where I would be looking first.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Aussie Allan

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 10:58:40 am »
Absic

Before doing a clean install I also make a System Image so that I can restore to the current setup if I feel the need to do so.

I think I'm being Dense as Diamond here Absic but if I can do a system image (with Acronis) do a clean install then copy back my activated programs and data well and good...... But I was under the assumption a system image when copied back will over right the entire drive including the the fresh install returning the machine to it's dodgie state .... can you elaborate ...

Aussie Allan
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 11:04:42 am »
I don't think that absic was actually suggesting that you do that merely that if you have the system image it is there as an option if you forget something or anything goes badly wrong.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 11:05:22 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 11:05:09 am »
Yes, you are quite right there Allan.

What I was trying to say was, if you are still facing the same problem after a clean install then you would know that the problem is not a basic conflict within the software and you could restore to your current state to continue further troubleshooting, if you wished to do so.

Personally I would do a clean install on another drive (if available) and then check at each stage to see where the problem is encountered. Once I had tracked down the software or driver that was causing the issue I would then revert to the original OS drive and see if I could resolve the conflict in there. I hope that makes more sense.

The other factor to consider is how long does it actually take to do a clean install of the OS and programmes? I have often found this is actually quicker and easier to do than to spend days trying to resolve a problem and, if you need your PC for work this is often the best solution.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Aussie Allan

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 11:25:41 am »

Unfortunately ..... Good advice Absic .... DM .... it wasn't a month ago I deleted my master Clean copy (clone) and was relying on the dynamic Acronis incremental backup ..... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr .... live and Bl**dy learn

Between the tweaks in CS5, DataRam and several other apps , Plugins and programs .... this is a time consumption disaster to reload .... but looking more and more likely :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 11:36:33 am »
Sometimes it is the only realistic option and you have to bite the bullet and go for it. ::)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 11:43:05 am »
I know our systems are different but I too use Adobe CS5.5 and a lot of similar software to yourself. I have got a complete clean install of the OS, drivers and programs down to around 5 hours in total, including ALL updates. Yes, there are other items that do extend the time but I have found that these can be done as and when required not to get me back up and running.

5 - 6 hours v the several days you have already spent and the possibility of several more without a resolution is, to my mind, a no brainer.

Aussie Allan

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 11:44:39 am »
Sometimes it is the only realistic option and you have to bite the bullet and go for it. ::)

Gotta Costco with the kids now so will give it a few more hours tonight ...... then it'll be the clean install......spring cleaning will be a tad early this year ;D

AA
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 01:50:54 pm »
So, this is office updates only that fail correct?   Since you are one that swears by Norton I wont say much there  ;D, except have you tried uninstalling Norton so you can see if it's actually stopping the updates?   You mentioned it not me  :o   And I know sometimes I've had issues with it, and even the antivrus app I use (ESET), where Uninstalling it was the only solution to what it was stopping from being installed.

So if you have not already, that would be my next test, uninstall Norton and any other virus applications that may or may not be scanning in the background.   Then reboot and see if you can install the updates.

Have you tried installing them manually by downloading the updates individually?   I ask because if so I'd like to know if you get the same error or not.

Can you also post the windows update log for us, well at least the end section where you see the fails, this must be done right after a failed install otherwise the failures may not be located towards the end (Or you an attache the whole log if you want).   It's located here;
C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log

*Editing in something else now in case you are reading this right now, please wait for additional suggestion on Groove*

In case it is ONLY Groove stopping this, you should also try to disable it from running at startup if you have not already.   You can use this tool, grab the install and install it goes into control panel (32bit items if you are using x64)
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Then find and uncheck or delete any office or groove startup entry, you can re-check or restore from the deleted section later if you want
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 01:56:51 pm by Lsdmeasap »

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 02:41:43 pm »
So, this is office updates only that fail correct?   Since you are one that swears by Norton I wont say much there  ;D, except have you tried uninstalling Norton so you can see if it's actually stopping the updates?   You mentioned it not me  :o   And I know sometimes I've had issues with it, and even the antivrus app I use (ESET), where Uninstalling it was the only solution to what it was stopping from being installed.

So if you have not already, that would be my next test, uninstall Norton and any other virus applications that may or may not be scanning in the background.   Then reboot and see if you can install the updates.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Lsdmeasap was right there and Norton was behind the problem from the outset. Over the years I have had many problems caused by Norton and then McAfee when they were taken over too. I have talked to very many people who wouldn't even think about using either one of them nowadays.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 03:04:20 pm »
For sure!  And sorry, I forgot to include the best app ever made :D

http://www.mediafire.com/file/9ka3ypui0mea87w/Norton_Removal_Tool 2011-07-07.exe

Before using, be sure to grab your product key from the app itself, or your online account, in case you plan to reinstall it.

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 04:24:21 pm »
Norton did get crappy for a while but its awesome now, lean and effective.

The install log should give you actionable leads; it wouldn't be the first time I've seen a Microsoft product trip over itself.  It should be solvable (and could very well take longer than a full reinstall).

This may help:
http://office-2010.iyogi.com/help-support/office-2010-system-requirements.html

Basically, uninstall Office with manual cleanup and some other hoodoo and reinstall.

Also, running a registry cleaner (to detect, not to auto-clean!) may shed some light on the problem.  

If you use Norton's registry cleanup, be sure System Restore is enabled as it will delete entries, not tell you what they are, not ask if your "sure", and won't offer an un-delete since that's what System Restore is for.  (OK, so it can be too lean at times but if you want beefy, get Norton Utilities or some such.)  If you've used any reg cleaner in the past, Office is usually the first to be broken.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 04:29:00 pm by Rolo42 »

Aussie Allan

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 05:01:13 pm »
   Many thanks Lsdmeasap, DM, Absic and Rolo .... sometimes you can't see the woods for the trees! .... I did try disabling Norton till next boot but you reckon rip it out entirely! ? ? ? .... and thanks for the "mediafire flame thrower App ..... I had a nightmare 3 yrs ago with Mcfee with it's own on-board uninstaller .... what a useless piece of "Beep-Beep-Beeeeeeeeep-Beep .... in fact! ....come to think about it ........ I haven't had this much fun since ripping that one out too  ::)

"Norton did get crappy for a while but its awesome now, lean and effective." ... Sorry others, ....Gotta agree with this statement ..... lots has changed!

Basically, uninstall Office with manual cleanup and some other hoodoo and reinstall.Also, running a registry cleaner (to detect, not to auto-clean!) may shed some light on the problem.  

Thanks Rolo been here already too ....... but all valid points ...... Reg Mechanic, Advanced Uninstaller Pro10, CCleaner and Super AntiSpyware all get a work at at least once a week .....

Office is usually the first to be broken. .... sad but true!

grab your product key from the app itself, or your online account, in case you plan to reinstall it.   .... ;D :-X

I have been using it for about 18months now, especially after it went through a substantial upgrade including the dash-board  .... and to be honest ..... I renewed my sub last week but did not have to reinstall ..... just popped in a new prod key , which was WE34Q-S44......... :D

" So, this is office updates only that fail correct? "  ..... Predominately correct ..... near on all were 2010 Office update! (x86) ..... but there was 3 or 4 for NET Frame that also would not take ....Fail,fail,fail even when  chosen by them selves.......... funny one was the Siverlight update ...... when chosen by itself ..... went in without a hitch ::)

Since you are one that swears by Norton  :D  .... on the contrary ..... All my software has to pull it's weight ..... Norton  has done fair so far..... but if I find it is the culprit ....... it'll be joining my first 3 wives... ;) ..... I'll rip it out with the flame thrower and see how it fairs! ..... funny as I thought disabling them in the tool bar did the same thing ?

Have you tried installing them manually by downloading the updates individually? ...... one at a time ...... two at a time ......3, 5 and 25....in safe Mode .....firewall off/on ....you name it!

I'm starting to think "Groove" was just one piece in the puzzle .... and may not be even applicable ..... I'll keep you informed on that one!

In case it is ONLY Groove stopping this, you should also try to disable it from running at startup if you have not already.

That's one of the weird things ...... it was one of the first (ish) things I looked at and it's not even in there ..... which sent me down the "Malware road" with zero results!

Anyway you guys have given me plenty of homework to crack on with and although frustrating ..... will be interesting to get to the answers .... which I will post up ...... Many thanks.

Aussie Allan

« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 05:04:14 pm by Aussie Allan »
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone