Official GIGABYTE Forum

Which of these cpu's?

Which of these cpu's?
« on: November 08, 2009, 08:03:29 pm »
For my son's GA-8PE667 Ultra 2 motherboard Gigabyte states in it's supported cpu list (http://www.giga-byte.com/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_List.aspx?ProductID=1607) that the best it will take is a P4-Northwood 3.06G (HT).

Which of these would that be?

SL77P
SL6S5
SL6PG

Does anyone know?

Nick

R_N_B

Re: Which of these cpu's?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 08:31:43 pm »
Hope you are not thinking of buying a new CPU any of those three listed. >   That outdated tech is really not worth the money new at all.

But if you do want to then the cpu below the

P4-Prescott 3.4G is the top end CPU that would fit your sons motherboard. SL6S5 is the spec number.

Use google to search for spec numbers to find out which CPU's are suitable.

Many online retailers have CPU and motherboard bundle specials which would be cheaper than buying any of those old tech CPUs.

Good luck mate

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 10:22:08 am »
Thanks, I know it's a bit old, but if I can get one dirt cheap it's the simplest way for me to give my son's pc a bit of a boost...

The SL6S5 you mention is a 3.067G cpu, not 3.4G. The 3.4 won't work according to the list at the Gigabyte link I posted. (no support for 800 FSB).
There it just mentions the P4-Northwood 3.06G (HT) 533 FSB without giving the exact model numbers. I know the motherboard can be a pit picky. Hence my question.

Cheers, Nick

R_N_B

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 11:07:57 am »
All good mate - I hope dirt cheap means free LOL 

Post requests on places like freecycle.co.uk or what ever it is called in your part of the world, I regularly give away unused older tech in my local community, or post on one or two of your local tech forums.  Most have a for sale or wanted sections and I am sure there are lots of cpu's of that age just laying around.

R_N_B

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 11:12:05 am »
Forgot to mention all you need to do when trying to source the cpu is type in the pin configuration of your CPU.

478 if I recall correctly

Here is the full name used for the SL6S5 HT Northwood CPU

Intel Pentium 4 3.06GHz 533Mhz 512Kb Cache 1.55V Soc. 478 Pin FC-PGA2