Official GIGABYTE Forum

Using @BIOS

Using @BIOS
« on: February 21, 2012, 09:25:28 pm »
The advice everywhere on this forum is not to use @BIOS, and good reasons are given for this.

BUT at the download for the F8 BIOS for the GA-X79-UD5 motherboard, Gigabyte say "* Please use GIGABYTE @BIOS for BIOS update".  I notice that the file is very large for a BIOS file.

Is there a limit to the size of BIOS file that Q-flash can handle?  Is this why Gigabyte say to use @BIOS?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Using @BIOS
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 09:52:57 pm »
Hi there,

the problem is that when a new larger BIOS update is released QFlash doesn't recognise that it is OK,  hence the need to use @BIOS or FLASH.SPI in these instances.

Once the BIOS has been updated with the larger file size then you can once again use QFlash for subsequent updates.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 09:57:08 pm »
Thank you,

So as I am using the 8 GB F8 version now, I can use Q-flash to update to the 8GB F9b?

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 07:46:05 am »
    Hello,

I didn't create a new thread, but I will if its not ok to post this kind of problem here. I had for several times a problem with @BIOS which it seems that the only solution to overcome it is to reinstall the operating system. This is not very pleasing and I was wondering if there is another solution to this problem.
The problem is that at some point after I installed new/updates of the  drivers for the components of the pc or after activating the amd overdrive feature from the catalyst driver manager, @BIOS (as easytune6 as well) gives an error while being already installed and at installation also. The error is "open driver handle failure!" which makes the program stops(the program and the installation process).

I've tried to deactivate amd overdrive and even uninstall video driver and install it again(though this action it seems not to clear the use of amd overdrive).

The rest of the system is ok, I have no blue screens, no crashes at all. Its that I can't use these software, especially that there is a new bios version, F7a,  in beta testing for my motherboard ga-p67a-ud4-b3(rev1.1).

Does anyone know how to overcome this problem? Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:29:09 am by incepator »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 07:49:55 am »
Thank you,

So as I am using the 8 GB F8 version now, I can use Q-flash to update to the 8GB F9b?

Yes, if the BIOS files are the same size you can use QFlash.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 08:37:30 am »
    Hello,

I didn't create a new thread, but I will if its not ok to post this kind of problem here. I had for several times a problem with @BIOS which it seems that the only solution to overcome it is to reinstall the operating system. This is not very pleasing and I was wondering if there is another solution to this problem.
The problem is that at some point after I installed new/updates of the  drivers for the components of the pc or after activating the amd overdrive feature from the catalyst driver manager, @BIOS (as easytune6 as well) gives an error while being already installed and at installation also. The error is "open driver handle failure!" which makes the program stops(the program and the installation process).

I've tried to deactivate amd overdrive and even uninstall video driver and install it again(though this action it seems not to clear the use of amd overdrive).

The rest of the system is ok, I have no blue screens, no crashes at all. Its that I can't use these software, especially that there is a new bios version, F7a,  in beta testing for my motherboard ga-p67a-ud4-b3(rev1.1).

Anything with @BIOS should not require a clean install of your operating system.  @BIOS only runs when you open it, so it shouldn't be causing you any issues.

Easytune might if you have it set to run at startup, right click the tray icon and uncheck the "Run at new Reboot" option to stop it from running at startup.   Also, do not use apply in it for overclocking, that and having it running at startup may be why you're having the AMD overdrive issue.   Do your overclocking manually in the BIOS, and disable easytune from running at startup.

And always get the latest drivers either from the source (IE Intel, Realtek, ATI, ect), or from the main page for your board, don't use the drivers from the motherboard install CD
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3759&dl=1#dl

Here is the latest beta BIOS for your board, please flash using DOS or Qflash, then enter the BIOS and load optimized defaults and save/apply/reboot BACK to the BIOS.   once in the BIOS again set your SATA settings to what you had set previously, and then any other changes you need.  Then save/apply/reboot and backup the backup BIOS to match the main BIOS, directions below on how to do that.
http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/12/20/2696817/p67aud43.7b.zip

How to flash the backup BIOS, you may need to use a PS/2 keyboard, or USB to PS/2 adapter
http://gigabytedaily.blogspot.com/2011/02/video-guide-how-to-update-your-backup.html

When uninstalling or updating AMD graphics drivers, please always set the overclock page to defaults before you uninstall the driver.

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 09:03:21 am »
    Hello,

The problem is that at some point after I installed new/updates of the  drivers for the components of the pc or after activating the amd overdrive feature from the catalyst driver manager, @BIOS (as easytune6 as well) gives an error while being already installed and at installation also. The error is "open driver handle failure!" which makes the program stops(the program and the installation process).

The rest of the system is ok, I have no blue screens, no crashes at all. Its that I can't use these software, especially that there is a new bios version, F7a,  in beta testing for my motherboard ga-p67a-ud4-b3(rev1.1).

Anything with @BIOS should not require a clean install of your operating system.  @BIOS only runs when you open it, so it shouldn't be causing you any issues.

Easytune might if you have it set to run at startup, right click the tray icon and uncheck the "Run at new Reboot" option to stop it from running at startup.   Also, do not use apply in it for overclocking, that and having it running at startup may be why you're having the AMD overdrive issue.   Do your overclocking manually in the BIOS, and disable easytune from running at startup.

And always get the latest drivers either from the source (IE Intel, Realtek, ATI, ect), or from the main page for your board, don't use the drivers from the motherboard install CD
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3759&dl=1#dl

Here is the latest beta BIOS for your board, please flash using DOS or Qflash, then enter the BIOS and load optimized defaults and save/apply/reboot BACK to the BIOS.   once in the BIOS again set your SATA settings to what you had set previously, and then any other changes you need.  Then save/apply/reboot and backup the backup BIOS to match the main BIOS, directions below on how to do that.
http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/12/20/2696817/p67aud43.7b.zip

How to flash the backup BIOS, you may need to use a PS/2 keyboard, or USB to PS/2 adapter
http://gigabytedaily.blogspot.com/2011/02/video-guide-how-to-update-your-backup.html

When uninstalling or updating AMD graphics drivers, please always set the overclock page to defaults before you uninstall the driver.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. The error appears when I run @BIOS and then it stops. So basically this error doesn't affect me at all or my system. But this program used to work with all the drivers I have now. I'm not sure which part makes it to give that error("open driver handle failure") at some point. From what I've read on some forums they may say its a problem from using the amd overdrive. I don't use it and I'm not using overclocking using any program except the settings from bios. Also, I recall having that enabled(amd overdrive) and the @BIOS still worked fine.

To be preciese the next information about the error after you press ok for the open driver handle failure message is about the error in the dll file checkFK.dll somethin related to CheckFK.Search.BIOSStr and Error number 0x80040707.

I can make some screenshots if that helps.

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 09:18:27 am »
Ahh OK, sorry!   Please do not use @BIOS :D

I see you aren't really trying, but if you must sometime later, be sure you are using the latest version as this may be the issue.  Uninstall the current version and then reboot and install the new version

And that you have the latest Intel INF Chipset drivers installed

Here is the latest version of @BIOS
http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Utility/motherboard_utility_gbttools_gbt_atbios.exe

Here is Intel INF, you want the first link - exe
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=816

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 11:56:01 am »
Yes, if the BIOS files are the same size you can use QFlash

Thanks for the confirmation, Lsdmeasp!

Flashing BIOS is still nerve-wracking, despite now having dual BIOS.  It went OK with Q-flash, and I still have my two RAID arrays.

Subjectively the system now runs quieter, and checking with EasyTunes, the fan speeds are lower, particularly the CPU fan, and correspondinly the CPU temp is lower at 23 degress!

Thanks everyone for the advice both in this thread and elsewhere.

Now I have to do it all again when the real F9 appears :(

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 12:16:02 pm »
Haha, absic said that, not me, but yes it's true :D

I flash all the time, with no worries!   Recovery is easy, and flashing these days is pretty safe as long as you do it properly. Sometimes I flash more then 10 times in a week, sometimes that many times in one day :)  Since you have RAID, you just have to be sure you always go back into the BIOS before windows to enable RAID, if you keep on top of that you should be fine!

Nice to hear you are enjoying cooler temps!!  Post back anytime if you need more help or advice on anything!

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 12:47:56 pm »
Ahh OK, sorry!   Please do not use @BIOS :D

I see you aren't really trying, but if you must sometime later, be sure you are using the latest version as this may be the issue.  Uninstall the current version and then reboot and install the new version

And that you have the latest Intel INF Chipset drivers installed

Here is the latest version of @BIOS
http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Utility/motherboard_utility_gbttools_gbt_atbios.exe

Here is Intel INF, you want the first link - exe
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=816

How do you see I'm not trying? :) Believe me when I say I've tried reinstalling the drivers/intel inf besides the fact that I'm already using the latest drivers. Also even if I wasn't, it still should work and not give me that error. I'm not trying at the moment to install the beta bios as I don't really need to, I can wait for the final version. It just bothers me that it gives me that error when it shouldn't and then when I will want to install the new bios version I will not be able to use it. I flashed with @BIOS with no problem the other 2 versions(F6 and F5). And yes, I can use other options avialable qflash from bios or FLASHSPI from the bios version package, but I still won't be able to use @BIOS and neither easytune6 or even smart6 utiltiy from gigabyte.It is not an error that affects only @BIOS, it affects other utilities from gigabyte also.
   I don't know how to reproduce it so others can have a @BIOS that gives the error when executed or at the installation so maybe they can look more into deep for it(like registry settings, unregister dlls, etc).
It is certain that it gives this error because something has happened and it doesn't have full access to it(to the driver/to registry settings) anymore or another driver is keeping it open with no share. If the error were more detailed like what exact driver it is trying to open perhaps it will give a hint on where to look.

Remember this happens in safe mode(simple, no network) also, both when running @BIOS or if I try to install the latest version and even with no drivers installed other then the ones that windows can detect.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:52:27 pm by incepator »

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 07:23:37 pm »
Sorry!   I meant you are not trying top update your BIOS via @BIOS, at least that's what I thought you meant.   You shouldn't anyway, but yes I did understand your errors and was trying to help with that.   Sorry for the confusion :D

Can you uninstall the current installed version of @BIOS, and then reboot and run windows updates and make sure all updates are installed, including the optional .NET Framework and all of it's updates.  Then once all of that is installed, reboot and install the latest version of @BIOS linked above.

Hopefully that will fix it!  If not I'll try to help you narrow down the issue in even viewer

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 09:01:35 pm »

Even if that will be the fix, it wouldn't be a nice thing to do. Its hard to find out what exactly make it not work anymore. Since the bios update is not a beta anymore I've just reinstall windows and now it works fine with all windows updates and latest drivers. I even used it to update the bios since FLASHSPI can't run under 64bits os and qflash can't see driver with other formats than fat/fat 32. So, all good for now, but it still remains that at some point the @BIOS will stop working.

And another 'bug' that it has, although the new version was on the gigabyte site, the program said that I had the latest version(F6) and on a try to update the bios from their servers...the only server that worked was on China and it was still version F6 that it offered me to update although I already had it.

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 11:01:14 am »
Why wouldn't it be a nice thing to do?  It's easy to uninstall the old version, update windows and reboot, then install the new version = problem fixed.   What's not nice there?

FlashSPI is a DOS program, you have to boot to DOS, it has nothing to do with your system being x64, it wont work in 32 bit system either, you must boot to DOS via floppy, CD/DVD, or USB.

If you are going to use @BIOS ever, download the file you want manually, and then use the update from file option, do not download from online server because sometimes it will say no BIOS, or grab the wrong file (Yes, these are problems with the program so you are correct there - just more reasons we suggest not using it)