Official GIGABYTE Forum

Windows Reinstall and Gigabyte chipset and audio drivers question

Hi; just a quick question if I may.
Please correct anything I have wrong in my thinking please.

I have a retail Windows 7/64 system with a Gigabyte motherboard. If I ever have to reinstall Windows, I will be opting for a clean install on a single partition. (It's a gaming computer off line except for windows updates).
If I understand correctly, as far as my motherboard is concerned, during the OS installation, Windows will install some basic drivers. My question concerns what I should do AFTER the OS is installed concerning my chipset and audio drivers.
I have the DVD that came with the motherboard and these are the chipset and audio drivers installed now. There are 0 issues with both and I see no reason to update to new drivers since this computer is only used for Microsoft Flight Simulator and nothing else and it's stable.
With the OS installed and showing a desktop, at this point in a reinstall should I simply pop in the Gigabyte DVD and run both the chipset and the audio drivers in this order? I'm assuming they will simply overwrite whatever Windows installed for the motherboard during the installation???? Is all this in order and correct???
Also, about the BIOS.........if I do a clean install,  does this effect the BIOS in any way? Does that remain undisturbed in it's ROM chip or is it affected somehow during the installation process? In other words are the BIOS settings changed in any way or remain as they were before the installation of the OS?
Thank you very much.
Dudley Henriques
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 05:58:28 pm by Dudley Henriques »

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
Re: Windows Reinstall and Gigabyte chipset and audio drivers question
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 11:21:09 am »
After install you would want to download the latest drivers online directly from Gigabyte's site for your board, or the source of the driver such as Intel, Realtek, ect.   I could link you to the latest drivers, but you didn't say what motherboard you have, so here we are :D

DVD drivers will work, but they are usually out dated by the time you even buy the board when it;s first released, so it's always suggested to get updated ones online when installing.

Yes, if you install from the CD, use the manual method and choose ONLY the drivers you want to install.  DO NOT use express install.

Order of installation is not important, and the drivers will update anything windows installed if there is something new in the drivers you are installing.

BIOS is not affected by the operating system, so the settings will always remain the same unless you clear the CMOS, change BIOS settings, or reset the BIOS to defaults.

Hope that helps!   If you need the latest drivers, please tell us what motherboard you are using, graphics card too if you want the latest drivers for that.