Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-H55M-USB3 problem(s)

sma3730

GA-H55M-USB3 problem(s)
« on: February 28, 2012, 12:38:49 am »
I built an HTPC about a year ago from the following components:
1-1 x SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum / Steel Lascala Series LC13B-E ATX Media Center / HTPC Case
2-1 x GIGABYTE GA-H57M-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel H57 HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
3-1 x AVerMedia AVerTVHD Duet PCTV tuner (A188) MTVHDDUET PCI-Express x1 Interface
4-1 x CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready Power Supply
5-1 x Intel Core i3-540 Clarkdale 3.06GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80616I3540
6-1 x G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ
7-2 x SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
8-1 x LITE-ON Black Blu-ray Disc Combo SATA Model iHES208-08 LightScribe Support
9-1 x Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
10-1 x Rosewill RNX-N250PC IEEE 802.11b/g, IEEE 802.11n Draft PCI Draft N 2T2R Wireless Adapter

PC running nicely until mid January '12 (~1 yr).  I am using XBMC as media center controlling with either Logitech diNovo Mini or Harmony One.  While listening to music the PC shutdown during a keystroke.  Restarted and same thing happens.  While rebooting I noticed an error message (checksum...).  Since the BIOS settings had returned to defaults I changed them to what I had before (IDE to AHCI and 32 bit to 64 bit).  Now the PC would function but, after a few minutes of music listening, would shutdown on its own.

Restarting, "re-BIOSing" and going to Windows 7 and letting it run seemed to work but when sleep mode entered the PC wouldn't start.  After some fiddling and restarting (and setting sleep to never) again PC seemed comfortable in Windows 7 overnight but again would shutdown.  This time upon rebooting to BIOS the SSD was no longer "seen".  I found a procedure to restore visibility to the SSD on OCZ Forums and upon restarting I now have no video.

I should note that I have checked PSU (PSU tester from Newegg) several times>PSU voltages are all correct.  MB removed and checked for shorts to standoffs or loose screws and found none.  Also CMOS cleared per procedure in manual in an attempt to restore defaults but with the 2 beeps heard on restart suggests this has not happened (2 beeps CMOS setting error, not same as checksum error?). 

The most recent attempt was to remove battery (measured 2.77V which I would assume is near enough to 3V) and replace after a few minutes.  Now on powerup I have no audible beeps.

I have hit the wall.  I am not knowledgeable enough to know what next to go.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!!
Thanks
Steve

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
Re: GA-H55M-USB3 problem(s)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 12:37:09 pm »
Are you using the latest BIOS for the motherboard?  If not, please update to the latest BIOS using Qflash or DOS.

And after you flash enter the BIOS and load Optimized Defaults, then save/apply/reboot F10 and reboot BACK to the BIOS.  Once in the BIOS again set your SATA settings to what you need, then set the memory voltage to specified amount for your memory kit, and set Performance Enhance to Standard in the MIT section, and any other changes you need to make.  Then save/apply/reboot again, to windows this time and test how things run after all that.

Latest BIOS is here

Rev. 1.0 board (Check on corner of PCB near PCI/PCIE slot)
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3308#bios

Rev. 2.0 board
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3444#bios

Checksum error happens when you clear the CMOS, since the main BIOS and backup BIOS do not match that;s an error, so those beeps would be expected and you've done it correctly.

sma3730

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 11:21:51 pm »
Are you using the latest BIOS for the motherboard?  If not, please update to the latest BIOS using Qflash or DOS.

And after you flash enter the BIOS and load Optimized Defaults, then save/apply/reboot F10 and reboot BACK to the BIOS.  Once in the BIOS again set your SATA settings to what you need, then set the memory voltage to specified amount for your memory kit, and set Performance Enhance to Standard in the MIT section, and any other changes you need to make.  Then save/apply/reboot again, to windows this time and test how things run after all that.

Latest BIOS is here

Rev. 1.0 board (Check on corner of PCB near PCI/PCIE slot)
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3308#bios

Rev. 2.0 board
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3444#bios

Checksum error happens when you clear the CMOS, since the main BIOS and backup BIOS do not match that;s an error, so those beeps would be expected and you've done it correctly.

I have a Rev. 2.0 board which was running F11 (I have downloaded a copy also).  I am assuming that the BIOS has been damaged or corrupted since I can no longer obtain a video signal.  The owners manual procedure for updating the BIOS from a flash drive would appear to assume I have a signal to the monitor ("In the main menu of Q-flash, use theup or down arrow.....).   I don't have a visual to make that selection (and proceed from there).   

I last set the optical drive as the 1st boot priority.  Assuming the PC will be the flash drive how can I proceed with no video signal to the monitor? 

As for Windows, I will have to wait until I get my SSD back, since I would like to keep the Windows OS there (which will require a reinstall). 

Is the CMOS checksum error the same as CMOS setting error?

I see that the F11 update is for a RAID process,  since I have no interest in or need for RAID I would assume F10 would be adequate?

Sorry for all the questions but I DO appreciate the help.

Thanks
Steve

sma3730

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 12:45:37 am »
I built an HTPC about a year ago from the following components:
1-1 x SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum / Steel Lascala Series LC13B-E ATX Media Center / HTPC Case
2-1 x GIGABYTE GA-H57M-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel H57 HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
3-1 x AVerMedia AVerTVHD Duet PCTV tuner (A188) MTVHDDUET PCI-Express x1 Interface
4-1 x CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready Power Supply
5-1 x Intel Core i3-540 Clarkdale 3.06GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80616I3540
6-1 x G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ
7-2 x SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
8-1 x LITE-ON Black Blu-ray Disc Combo SATA Model iHES208-08 LightScribe Support
9-1 x Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
10-1 x Rosewill RNX-N250PC IEEE 802.11b/g, IEEE 802.11n Draft PCI Draft N 2T2R Wireless Adapter

Thanks
Steve
11-1 1 x OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 55GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Oops

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 06:56:44 pm »
Use F11, they only note 1-2 changes, but there are often MANY more not listed.

Can you test with another graphics card, and possibly a PCI based one too instead of PCIE, to see if you can get anything on screen.

Yes, checksum and setting error is the same.   How are you seeing that anyway, I thought you said you can't see anything on screen?

sma3730

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 02:23:34 am »
Use F11, they only note 1-2 changes, but there are often MANY more not listed.

Can you test with another graphics card, and possibly a PCI based one too instead of PCIE, to see if you can get anything on screen.

Yes, checksum and setting error is the same.   How are you seeing that anyway, I thought you said you can't see anything on screen?

I can't.  The setting error I gleaned from the  2 beeps on powerup (the code for 2 beeps said "cmos setting error").  The checksum error I observed before losing the video signal.  I have F11 on a flash drive but how do I flash if 1) I am not sure the PC can "see" the flash drive and/or 2) I have no video signal to guide cursor movement/selection?  BTW, I now have no beeps on powerup.  Can't find a code description for no beeps.

Thanks,
Steve
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 08:43:18 am by Dark Mantis »

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 07:15:45 am »
You'll have to blind flash.   Did you try the onboard graphics as well?   And can you, or have you, tested with another monitor just to be sure it's not actually the monitor just not showing an image

Here's how to blind flash, on post #2, but since you do not have a floppy you probably wont have any luck as you can't see the boot menu to choose the USB
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/27576-bios-flashing-how-qflash-guide.html

You can try to make it auto recover the BIOS using the power supply trick, it's also posted in that thread right under the blind flashing method.  Or if you want, and you can't get that to work, I can show you how to short the MAIN BIOS out so it boots only from the backup, this is a temporary short that you will be holding while the motherboard is live and booting.  Then once you are in the BIOS you will flash from Qflash via USB that's already connected, or it sometimes auto recovers from that state as well.   If you want info on that after trying the PSU trick and it does not help let me know, I'll send to you via PM

« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 07:17:49 am by Lsdmeasap »

sma3730

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 01:49:07 am »
You'll have to blind flash.   Did you try the onboard graphics as well?   And can you, or have you, tested with another monitor just to be sure it's not actually the monitor just not showing an image

Here's how to blind flash, on post #2, but since you do not have a floppy you probably wont have any luck as you can't see the boot menu to choose the USB
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/27576-bios-flashing-how-qflash-guide.html

You can try to make it auto recover the BIOS using the power supply trick, it's also posted in that thread right under the blind flashing method.  Or if you want, and you can't get that to work, I can show you how to short the MAIN BIOS out so it boots only from the backup, this is a temporary short that you will be holding while the motherboard is live and booting.  Then once you are in the BIOS you will flash from Qflash via USB that's already connected, or it sometimes auto recovers from that state as well.   If you want info on that after trying the PSU trick and it does not help let me know, I'll send to you via PM

I'll give your suggestions a try.  I don't think it's the monitor but I can check that out too.  We've got visitors for a couple of days so I probably won't be able to get to it until next Monday. 

Thanks,
Steve

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 07:38:44 am »
Yes, check out with a different monitor, and be sure you have the monitor set to how you connect it (HDMI, VGA, ect).  I say this because one beep means the board has posted past the BIOS and handed things over to windows, so it may already be loading windows

No worries, test things and reply back when you have time, enjoy your company for a few instead of fighting with this! :D

sma3730

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 06:50:14 pm »
Yes, check out with a different monitor, and be sure you have the monitor set to how you connect it (HDMI, VGA, ect).  I say this because one beep means the board has posted past the BIOS and handed things over to windows, so it may already be loading windows

No worries, test things and reply back when you have time, enjoy your company for a few instead of fighting with this! :D

I tried, finally, the PSU trick.  Not having any video to see I am not sure what I should've seen.  I hear a couple of beeps which seems to suggest the checksum error message but, again, no video signal (monitor is okay).   Will the shorting method you mention require a video signal? 

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 09:17:04 am »
You may not have got it then, try many times before you decide it's not working.   I know that may be hard to time out since nothing is on screen, but once recovery starts the screen should come up as it would be booting from the other BIOS.

Did you ever try the onboard graphics yet, or another graphics card?   I'd try the onboard for sure, but then also another card if possible, just in case this is a graphical only issue as you should be able to see the screen with the CMOS / Checksum error.

Shorting the motherboard as I mentioned will not initially require graphics, first boot will be main BIOS and a failure to boot, then it will shut down the board and reboot from the backup BIOS only.  Then from there, yes you would want to be able to see the screen so you can know if it's allowing you in the BIOS, or auto recovering the board, ect.

Before I link you to any of that though, please test the onboard graphics and another graphics card as well if you can find one an old PCIE or PCI graphics card would be fine, just try to find something from this decade and it should be usable :D  But try with the on board graphics for sure, as in do that now if you have not already :)

Also!   Please verify that monitor is still working properly, do that on another system, and while trying the onboard test use a different monitor connected to this machine if you can too.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 09:18:47 am by Lsdmeasap »

sma3730

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 07:31:14 pm »
You may not have got it then, try many times before you decide it's not working.   I know that may be hard to time out since nothing is on screen, but once recovery starts the screen should come up as it would be booting from the other BIOS.

Did you ever try the onboard graphics yet, or another graphics card?   I'd try the onboard for sure, but then also another card if possible, just in case this is a graphical only issue as you should be able to see the screen with the CMOS / Checksum error.

Shorting the motherboard as I mentioned will not initially require graphics, first boot will be main BIOS and a failure to boot, then it will shut down the board and reboot from the backup BIOS only.  Then from there, yes you would want to be able to see the screen so you can know if it's allowing you in the BIOS, or auto recovering the board, ect.

Before I link you to any of that though, please test the onboard graphics and another graphics card as well if you can find one an old PCIE or PCI graphics card would be fine, just try to find something from this decade and it should be usable :D  But try with the on board graphics for sure, as in do that now if you have not already :)

Also!   Please verify that monitor is still working properly, do that on another system, and while trying the onboard test use a different monitor connected to this machine if you can too.

Here's a dumb question but, how do I test the onboard graphics?  As for another graphics card I could buy an inexpensive one to test (small investment relative to the PC itself).  I will try the PSU trick again and give the unit more time. 

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 06:25:12 pm »
No worries, if you didn't ask that would be dumb, the only dumb questions are the ones no one asks! :D

To test the onboard graphics instead, remove your graphics card and connect the monitor to the onboard graphics ports, be sure to set your monitor to how you connect VGA, DVI, HDMI, ect

And yes, if you've never done the PSU thing it can be hard to time just right, keep at it and you'll get it!  If not I'll show you about shorting the board, but that should be used as last resort because there are easier and safer ways to do this.

sma3730

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 11:18:25 pm »
No worries, if you didn't ask that would be dumb, the only dumb questions are the ones no one asks! :D

To test the onboard graphics instead, remove your graphics card and connect the monitor to the onboard graphics ports, be sure to set your monitor to how you connect VGA, DVI, HDMI, ect

And yes, if you've never done the PSU thing it can be hard to time just right, keep at it and you'll get it!  If not I'll show you about shorting the board, but that should be used as last resort because there are easier and safer ways to do this.

My graphics are integrated in the CPU (1 x Intel Core i3-540 Clarkdale 3.06GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80616I3540).  Am I still able to test the integrated graphics?

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 06:40:18 am »
Yes, that's what I mean.  Remove your add on graphics card (Actual real card, remove it) and then connect the monitor to the motherboard itself, this will rule out your graphics card as being part of the problem.