Official GIGABYTE Forum

Delayed write failure

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
Re: Delayed write failure
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2012, 09:23:46 pm »
Well I wanted him to test another drive more than anything else, to rule out this current drive and or OS.  If another drive is not available I would test a clean install on this drive before RMA'n anything, but I would for sure try my best to test a clean install on a different hard drive just to be sure before sending the board off

Wayne

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2012, 11:55:40 pm »
Hi Gents,
The drive I was originally  having these DWF's on was an older Samsung 1Tb drive with a clean install. The drive I'm now using is a spanking new WD Blue Caviar drive. I also did a clean Windows install onto this drive and ran HDTune as well, however, I'm still getting DWF's on this one as well. Hope that clears things up a bit.
Cheers.

Wayne

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2012, 03:03:23 am »
Hi again gents,
Just a bit more info for you.
Today I tried to install an older game of mine, F.E.A.R., onto my pc with the new WD drive. The install took 35m 45secs to get HALF WAY before getting the dreaded DWF's. So, I thought I would again try an install of the same game on my wife's pc. It's a Core 2 duo 2.4Ghz on an Intel board. The install went ok and took just 5m 47s from START to FINISH.
I've noticed that lately when trying to install some apps or games and checking for DWF's on my pc with a new Core i5 it seems to be taking FOREVER to get them on, if I can install them at all. Do you think the cpu might have anything to do with any of this?
I'm a WWI flight simmer (don't laugh), and when starting up a quick mission in my Rise of Flight programme it takes around 25 to 30 minutes to start the mission. I put the startup time to the boys on the ROF forum and the collective wisdom seems to be that should take no more than 2 to 3 minutes to start up the mission not 25 to 30 minutes.
 I suppose I'm clutching at straws looking for a fix for this but I've just about run out of things to try.
Anyway thanks for your help and interest so far, its been very much appreciated.
Cheers.

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2012, 08:33:35 pm »
Ya, that is terribly slow, I'm sorry about all this prolonged advice, I didn't realize things were that bad!!

I'd say go ahead and setup a RMA, something is obviously wrong with the board or hard drive controller on it anyway.

I'd say you can test the Marvell ports and they should be fine, or J.Micron (But those would be slow), but neither of those would be ideal for your daily OS anyway, so I'd go ahead and get it exchanged!

Wayne

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2012, 01:25:37 pm »
Sorry for dragging up an oldie,  but just thought I'd post the latest on this saga given the great help I've received on this forum.
I RMA'd the board back to the retailer as advised. They said that if their tech support confirmed the "DWF" problem they would send it on to Gigabyte for warranty repair. They did send it on,  that was 7 weeks ago. I received the board back today, put it all together and after about half an hour of use the dreaded "Delayed Write Failures" returned. I'm a bit peeved off with Gigabyte. No information as to what the cause of the problem might have been, though obviously they have no idea,  only a bios update which achieved absolutely nothing after seven weeks! I just don't think this is acceptable for a AU$376.00 mobo.
Cheers.