Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z68AP-D3 rev2, only 4gb of 16gb ram used by windows

GA-Z68AP-D3 rev2, only 4gb of 16gb ram used by windows
« on: March 02, 2012, 10:57:21 pm »
Hello,
Im using win7 64 ultimate.
my bios shows 16gb as does windows experience index, under "installed memory" but according to tests and task manager its using 3247 i.e. 1 stick, out of 4. My ram is also giving me a low score of 5.9  in WEI
I was having the cold boot issue I think but fixed it by using lasted bios update "FCc"

Do i need to enable dual channel or is tha auto and increase voltages?

Bios is on defaults pretty much, if I could get any pointers on setting in there as im a newb when it comes to that

my specs
GA-Z68AP-d3 rev2 bios ver FCc
i7 2600k
16GB Vengeance Dual Channel Kit, 1600MHz, 9-9-9-24, 1.5V (4 sticks)
3 harddrives
ati 5770
Cit 750w PSU -thinking of upgrading this as its getting on a bit and prob a bit rubbish

see pic

thanks

Re: GA-Z68AP-D3 rev2, only 4gb of 16gb ram used by windows
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 12:04:20 am »
ureeka, found a fix.
I tried a few things, made sure ram was getting correct voltage and turned on XMP in bios.
But msconfig did the trick.
If anyone else has this issue go into msconfig>boot>advanced options and make sure maximum memory is unticked, otherwise it addresses all your memory into hardware reserve or something.
 cya

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
Re: GA-Z68AP-D3 rev2, only 4gb of 16gb ram used by windows
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 07:23:28 am »
Nice to see you found the cause of your problem!   I'm not sure why, or where that gets suggested to be checked, but I wish those users would stop suggesting it already :D

It's not a default windows setting, so users have to manually check that setting to begin with, so somewhere someone must have suggested that to you incorrectly.   Just so you know it's not done by windows automatically.