Official GIGABYTE Forum

RAIDXpert Web Utility Fail

KEP

RAIDXpert Web Utility Fail
« on: November 30, 2010, 04:53:30 am »
I couldn't even estimate the number of times RAIDXpert has failed on me, when I try bringing it up in a browser.  I have a GA-880GA-UD3H with a RAID-10 array of four 1tb disks, and Windows 7 x64.  Quite often, when I try bringing up this utility (which just loads http://localhost:25902/amd/screen.jsp in the default browser), it displays:

HTTP ERROR: 500

org.apache.jsp.screen_jsp

RequestURI=/amd/screen.jsp
Caused by:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.jsp.screen_jsp
   at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
   at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
   at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JasperLoader.findClass(JasperLoader.java:188)
   at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JasperLoader.loadClass(JasperLoader.java:174)
   at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JasperLoader.loadClass(JasperLoader.java:106)
   at org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.load(JspCompilationContext.java:623)
   at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.getServlet(JspServletWrapper.java:176)
   at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:356)
   at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:470)
   at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:364)
   at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
   at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:487)
   at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:362)
   at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)
   at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)
   at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:726)
   at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:405)
   at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:206)
   at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)
   at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:139)
   at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:324)
   at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:505)
   at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConnection.java:828)
   at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:514)
   at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:211)
   at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:380)
   at org.mortbay.jetty.bio.SocketConnector$Connection.run(SocketConnector.java:228)
   at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:450)

Powered by Jetty://

The only way I've found to "fix" this is to restart the machine.  Logging out doesn't help.  Different browser (IE vs FF) doesn't help.  There are two related processes (RAIDXpert.exe and RAIDXpertService.exe) that appear (in TaskMgr) to be running just fine.  The drive operation appears to be fully functional, except for this monitoring tool.  In fact, I had a Media Patrol scan going, across a few reboots, and it just kept chugging along even though the web-based RAIDXpert wouldn't load worth diddly.

Anyone have any ideas how best to fix this?  If it's any clue, I do get the following errors in the Event Log, as well:

Log Name:      System
Source:        AMD RAID API
Date:          11/29/2010 12:16:28 AM
Event ID:      272
Task Category: None
Level:         Information
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Cougar
Description:
The description for Event ID 272 from source AMD RAID API cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Media patrol on port 1 target 1 resumed

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Not sure where to turn...?
No longer a "Newbie!" <LOL>

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: RAIDXpert Web Utility Fail
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 10:02:48 am »
Hi,

don't use RAID Xpert myself but reading up on it there does seem to be some problems with it. Have you checked out the AMD website to see if they can help, as it's their software I'm sure that would be the best place to look.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

KEP

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 03:06:37 pm »
don't use RAID Xpert myself but reading up on it there does seem to be some problems with it. Have you checked out the AMD website to see if they can help, as it's their software I'm sure that would be the best place to look.

I've started looking around, but this one seems to be a real bastard child that no one really wants responsibility for.  Apparently, AMD has licensed both it and the controller logic from Promise.  So it's several whacko-relatives removed from the vendor I chose.  :(

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 03:09:53 am »
I have been trying to solve this RAIDXpert problem for some time now.  I noticed with great interest that the motherboard you have is exactly the same one that I have the GA-880-UDH3, mine is the rev 2.0.  I am running a RAID 5 and I get the same problem where the thing chugs along fine for a few days or a few weeks or a few months and then suddenly won't start up - saying in the browser "Unable to connect" "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:25902." IE doesn't help.  I have cold booted to no avail.  All that fixes it is a reinstall which is problematic because I am not using the built-in video so the Catalyst (like gasoline?) POS software has to be installed too and I don't want it......but this fixes the RADXpert.  As you said, the RAID seems to keep on ticking just fine but it is completely unmanageable without the RAIDXpert clunker.  Are you still using this configuration and have you learned anything more?  I suspect it has to do with JSP especially since it is its OWN copy of it and so updates to the "other" installed copy  break it....but I don't have the skillset to troubleshoot it.  All I have figured out is reinstall but hen I lose all my settings and the log.  There are new drivers and version of RAIDXpert dated 1-25-12 at AMD but that has not helped.

I have worked with RAIDs for many years and this one is good but the software is horrible.  Help if anyone can.  AMD and  GIGABYTE both are useless as resources to solve it.

Randy

KEP

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 02:59:30 pm »
the thing chugs along fine for a few days or a few weeks or a few months and then suddenly won't start up - saying in the browser "Unable to connect" "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:25902." IE doesn't help.  I have cold booted to no avail.  All that fixes it is a reinstall which is problematic because I am not using the built-in video so the Catalyst (like gasoline?) POS software has to be installed too and I don't want it......but this fixes the RADXpert.

This one bugged the hell out of me for a long time.  I found very few hints out there.  I can tell you that it's running the Java stuff from here (I suppose the numbers may change?):

C:\Windows\Temp\Jetty_0_0_0_0_25902_Web__amd__8jxwbb

And that when that's not there, things can crater.  Can?  Yeah, sometimes, that folder can be deleted (eg, when clearing the %tmp% folder), and it was just recreated as needed.  Anyway, the ugly news is, I never did find the trigger for recreating those bits.

Uglier news?  I'm on motherboard #4 now, and the system is stabilized.  But I was definitely having very real problems with the first two and that RAID chipset!  (Subsequent boards had memory bus "issues.")  It wasn't just this RAIDXpert issue -- drives would just randomly drop out of the array, forcing me to run in cripple mode while that rebuilt.  Ultimately, when I got a mobo that didn't have that issue, this other problem of the UI going AWOL also disappeared.  I can now remove that Jetty folder, and it's just recreated as needed.

I hate to say it...  With a credit card, they'll cross-ship a new mobo, and you're out the cost of mailing the old one back and a Saturday morning.  Wish I had better suggestions.

Sorry...

Tiger

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 05:03:10 pm »
I am not certain if this applies to your situation, since you only list your hardware as a RAID-10 array of four 1tb disks.

Western Digital desktop hard drives (Caviar Black, Green, and Blue) are recommended for use in a RAID array with no more than two (2) drives (Raid 0 or Raid 1 only).

Western Digital manufactures desktop edition hard drives and RAID Edition (RE) hard drives. Each type of hard drive is designed to work specifically as a stand-alone drive, or in a multi-drive RAID environment.

If you install and use a desktop edition hard drive connected to a RAID controller, the drive may not work correctly. This is caused by the normal error recovery procedure that a desktop edition hard drive uses.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 05:04:23 pm by Tiger »
1) GA-Z97X-Gaming 7, G3258,
2) GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev. 1.1, FX-8350
3) GA-AM1M-S2P, Sempron 3850 Kabini

KEP

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 05:15:13 pm »
If you install and use a desktop edition hard drive connected to a RAID controller, the drive may not work correctly.

The RAID-10 drives are all Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ's, and they've performed flawlessly since motherboard #3 which I installed about 11 months ago.

Thanks...

Tiger

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 05:04:52 pm »
A patch code was released in order to solve the compatibility problem between some mainboard with the AMD SB850 chipset and Samsung HDD (F3 and F3EG model only).
This patch program works only to
F3     (HD323HJ / HD502HJ / HD503HI / HD103SJ / HD105SI)
F3EG (HD153WI / HD203WI)

It seems you have the HD103SJ drive and SB850 chipset. The patch was on the old Samsung website.

http://www.jack-brennan.com/samsung-firmware-update-for-p67-and-sb850/
1) GA-Z97X-Gaming 7, G3258,
2) GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev. 1.1, FX-8350
3) GA-AM1M-S2P, Sempron 3850 Kabini