agros

Soundcard for my 2.0 speakers?
« on: February 26, 2012, 06:02:06 pm »
I recently bought this 2.0 speakers set
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836116044
and I d like a good soundcard within.
My present card, which I use last 3 years, is this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102017
and as u read in newegg, seems not to be so good.

Any suggestions?  :)
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
PhenomII x4 960T+Scythe Ninja 3 fanless
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB 1600MHz
Sapphire 7750 Ultimate fanless
Intel 330 120GB SSD
Corsair CX 430W Modular
CoolerMaster Silencio 650
Win7 Ultimate 64 SP1

Ben

Re: Soundcard for my 2.0 speakers?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 11:05:59 am »
Depends on budget, but here are some that seem to fit the bill, well over here that is, I have no idea what price they may be asking in your part of the world.

1. Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D.

One of the big features that gamers look for is support for the EAX audio extensions. Creative was the developer of these audio extension to provide effects to simulate a variety of different environments to provide a more realistic audio experience for games. The most advance version of this is EAX HD that is only supported on Creative's audio cards. Other companies can only support up to EAX 3.0. After many years, Creative has finally released its new Core3D audio processor to replace the venerable X-Fi. With its four audio processor cores, it offers improved audio support for audio effects including THX TruStudio Pro for simulated surround, cyrstalizers and audio adjustments. Another bonus is streamlined drivers compared to the bloated X-Fi packages. There are a few downsides including lack of 7.1 audio and only 92KHz 24-bit audio.

2.  ASUS Xonar Essence STX.

Audiophiles are interested in getting the best audio quality they can out of their components. The ASUS Xonar Essence STX is probably one of the best consumer level audio cards on the market thanks to its high signal-to-noise ratio, 192KHz/24bit support, superb digital to audio converters and even a built-in headphone amplifier. The audio components also have shielding to ensure that it doesn't receive any interference from other computer components. This provides it with some of the best playback and recording capabilities in a desktop audio card. The card does require an additional 4-pin power connector to provide it with sufficient power. It uses a PCI-Express x1 interface.

3. ASUS Xonar Essence ST.

Much like the PCI-Express based Xonar Essence STX, the Xonar Essence ST offers many of the same great features and performance but with the PCI interface for use with older computers. This includes the extremely high signal to noise ratio and very low harmonic distortion. Many audiohiles that like to listen with headphones will also be pleased with the built in headphone amplifier for reduced distortion. It fully supports 192KHz/24-bit playback and can even tie into an HDMI compatible video card to pass the audio stream over the same connector.

They are more out there, plus someone may come up with other cards, but these are the ones I would choose from had I decided to get get any, but I really don't need high end sound cards for my use, plus I asked this question regarding cards vs onboard a while back & decided to stay with my onboard  setup.

Hope this helps.

Ben.

PS.
Sorry for lack of pictures, but you, see one sound card you have seen them all, well that's my thought's anyway.

PPS.

I sort of borrowed the comments regarding the sound cards, main reason its past my bedtime, plus my eyes are getting tired, I think I re wrote most of this twice. zzzzzzzz.

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3
i7 2600 (4.00GHZ)
Ripjaws X 2@8GB XL (1.7V)
Kingston Blu Hyper 2@2GB (1.7V)
Corsair TX 650
HD 6870 1gb
blu ray + dvd
1T wd hdd
500gb WD hdd
Gigabyte Armor+MX case
Noctua air cooling (4 fans)
AOC 27'
Win 8 pro Full

agros

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 07:50:56 pm »
Budget is not imporant, point is not to get a card with functions that I wont use(such as, professional uses).

It was not a good idea to copy paste those descriptions. Do you have your own expereience from these cards?
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Intel 330 120GB SSD
Corsair CX 430W Modular
Win7 Ultimate 64 SP1

Ben

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 07:43:44 am »
Like I said I don't have any use for high end cards, but if I did I would more than likely get one of these.

Personally I prefer, more to less , on products I purchase as usually they are better quality, even if I do not intend to use them to their fullest.

So to answer your question, I have not had any experience from these or any other cards, maybe someone else on this forum can help you with that, I am just showing products I like, plus brands I am familiar with.

Ben.
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3
i7 2600 (4.00GHZ)
Corsair TX 650
HD 6870 1gb
blu ray + dvd
1T wd hdd
500gb WD hdd
Gigabyte Armor+MX case
AOC 27'
Win 8 pro Full

agros

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 12:10:29 pm »
2nd and 3rd card cost>170€, so I guess they are mostly for professional uses.

In Newegg I read good comments for X-Fi Platinum, I wonder if its really better than X-Fi Extreme Audio, which I now use.
On the other hand, Creative has problem with its drivers.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 12:17:05 pm by agros »
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Intel 330 120GB SSD
Corsair CX 430W Modular
Win7 Ultimate 64 SP1

Ben

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 08:49:50 am »
Hi Agros,

If the card you are using now is okay maybe you should stay with it.

I  know that when I queried about sound card vs on-board on this forum the general consensus was to use the on-board  one as I did not need it for high end use.

I take it you have updated all drivers/firmware on your sound card?

If you really wish to update this card I would make a 'cheat sheet' my terminology, basically it's your computer system plus peripheral's, IE; OS,CPU, GPU, etc, speakers plus anything else that may be attached, any games, music played, (Jazz,R&B,Pop,Classical,). All typed out on a sheet of paper that you take with you to the shop.

Helps the salesman to fully understand your system. Try & get a salesman that has some computer knowledge, not a "cash collector/bag filler".

Let them know your needs,  plus budget limits & hopefully he/she will put you on the right track.

Also find out if you can exchange/refund the item if it does not come up to your expectations, as in my case I purchased an electric razor 3 disc type but all it did was rip out my hair, so I exchanged it for a foil type & have been happy since.

The last thing you want to do is spend good money on a card only to find out that there is no difference from your last card.

From what I can see your card was mostly designed for music & not games.

The "Platinum" seems pretty good, just one comment regarding headphones,  while music plays through them just fine, it only lowers the volume of the speakers instead of muting it. The control panel includes an option to mute speakers when headphones are detected, but it mutes the speakers until headphones are connected – and when they are, the speakers and headphones play simultaneously.

But if you don't use headphones then you have no problems.

Ben.

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3
i7 2600 (4.00GHZ)
Corsair TX 650
HD 6870 1gb
blu ray + dvd
1T wd hdd
500gb WD hdd
Gigabyte Armor+MX case
AOC 27'
Win 8 pro Full

agros

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 10:50:17 pm »
Well, maybe there's another 'ok' better than the present 'ok', I can't know that.
Salesmen are really unable to help u in these matters.
Real help will be the experiences from someone who use a specific soundcard with similar 2.0 speakers.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 10:51:02 pm by agros »
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Intel 330 120GB SSD
Corsair CX 430W Modular
Win7 Ultimate 64 SP1

Ben

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 09:24:48 am »
Hi again Agros.

Yes as you say, you will really need someone who has the same setup as you regarding, speakers/soundcard, as that is the only way this can be evaluated.

I am sorry I was unable to help.

Ben.

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3
i7 2600 (4.00GHZ)
Corsair TX 650
HD 6870 1gb
blu ray + dvd
1T wd hdd
500gb WD hdd
Gigabyte Armor+MX case