Official GIGABYTE Forum

Slow Bios after flashing Marvell 2.2.0.1125 - how to restore original Bios FULLY

OK I have installed the Marvell firmware again.

This time, I have the Marvell port enabled beforehand, with AHCI. So it is the "correct" flash procedure.

After flashing, I get this on the Marvell tray:
http://i.imgur.com/zWYOm.png

Which looks to be all OK.

I've plugged the harddrive in the Marvell slot, and it boots and works fine too.

Also, I had hard drive in SATA2_0 slot just now for testing, it made no difference, still have memory freeze problem.

Two bad things happened though :( right after the Marvell flash I just did:
1) When I shut down the computer, then turned it back on again, the computer turned off by itself during the memory check stage, then on again, saying overclocking failed and it was changing memory speed from 1600mhz back to 1333mhz. I then changed it back to 1600mhz, and it rebooted fine after that.
2) Now when I do "control alt delete" to restart the computer, the memory freeze is longer than when I hard reset the computer and turn it back on. Remember my first posts, I was saying, "control alt delete" reset would not have the memory scan slowing down as much as a hard reset? That's no longer true.

So, weird things happening to memory again, coincidentally happens right after a Marvell flash...

I think there is only 1 last thing left to try on my end, that is, the extended CMOS reset procedure. I'll do it tonight. Somehow I am not hopeful... perhaps you might be able to install the marvell firmware in the way I did it, and see if it slows down your memory scan too?  ;)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:13:40 am by CuteBirdy »

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
Nice to see, thanks!  Yeap, it shows the updated firmware version, so the flash does indeed go through properly!

Can you please borrow another single stick of memory from somewhere to test with?  Hope so!

Yes, do the extended clear CMOS and see if that helps.    I'll go ahead and setup my board tonight or tomorrow and do the flash, I'll be using the latest beta BIOS though, so in case that matters you might want to update to it as well  (F9d)
http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/12/20/2696817/X58AUD7.9d.zip

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios.html

If it all works for me, then it'll have to be your memory or some other hardware you have causing the issue.   I will video my flashing the Firmware, then show the BIOS settings and info, ect, and then booting into windows.  I may have to upload multiple videos though, or cut them together, because the only digital video device I have here has a very small memory card in it (Like 4.5-5 minutes worth for video I think).   But just wanted to let you know I'll do a video just so you know I'm actually testing this for you and not just saying that!

Hey, so you're actually going to do it... thanks :) you are a hero.

You don't really have to video it, I believe whatever you say, but it might be useful to see how things went for you.

I don't have another stick of RAM, I am thinking of buying more (6gb is too little) but still not sure what's best. I should have new RAM in a few weeks. But from my experiences, I really don't think it's the RAM that is faulty, can't have all 3 sticks go bad at once, it is more likely a fault with the motherboard if anything.

I'll let you know tomorrow whether extended clear CMOS works.

When I flashed my board with the marvell firmware "CPUAHCI" the first time, I had the latest BIOS too (F9d), I am aware of Tweaktown latest bioses. So, if you flash on your F9d, it should be the same as me (remember also I flashed it when my Marvell ports was set to IDE under Integrated Peripherals, but I really don't think this makes a difference in the end). Please watch out for any slowdown in your memory scan! And, if you feel like it, you could also try reflashing Gigabyte bios back to F7 (after installing the Marvell), and see if you get the same Intel AHCI problem as I did.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:45:54 am by CuteBirdy »

Lsdmeasap

Yes, I told you I would test it for you!    And now that I know the flash actually worked properly for you, I need to test it for you so you can see something else must be causing these issues for you and not the firmware update itself.

I'll video it, no problem, I normally would do that anyway in case someone asks to see the testing process.   And since this is a odd issue, I'd like you to see it works fine for me, as I believe I shouldn't have any issues with it.  If I do though, we'll know there's a problem with the BIOS itself, or updating the firmware like that is the cause.

As for memory, can't you borrow a single stick from any other systems in your house, or a friends?   No need to buy another set, as you are right it probably isn't likely that all memory went bad at once unless it was storming or something that night this initially happened.  And if that was the cause and it was a power spike, you'd have other issues like dead PSU and CPU too :D

So I will do it in this order.

1. Flash to F9d - do optimized dance
2. Start video, F12 to boot menu, then to DOS to flash firmware on video
3. Reboot to BIOS on video, show BIOS Marvell settings and USB, memory, ect OC settings.
4. Save/apply/reboot to windows on video to show memory scan
5. In windows show Marvell Tray Info on video
6. Shut down windows on video
7 Start system from fully powered down state on video to show memory check once more.

As for the F7 issue, no need as I wouldn't ever suggest using a old BIOS anyway, so you shouldn't either :D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:56:12 am by Lsdmeasap »

Lsdmeasap

OK, board is dusted off now, 980X going in and then tear-down and rebuild in progress. 

Hope to have some answers for you shortly, maybe an hour or so, but vid will take a while to upload after that as my connection sucks :D)!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:06:02 am by Lsdmeasap »

F5BJR

Thanks Pierre, but I already know how to do it with CBROM too.   I just wanted confirmation from you, that it's possible to do with the flasher that comes with the Station-Driver Firmwares.

yes you can temporary flash with station-driver firmware , in this case go.bat flash a little 8 pins special EEPROM and not BIOS EEPROM

but that is temporary because for the GigaByte mothercard the BIOS flash after the little EEPROM with the embedded firmware 

after modify with CBROM32 you are sure that  the firmware and BIOS are with the same Marvell  firmware version

Pierre

GA-X58A-UD5 I7 930
6x2Go KINGSTON 9905403-084
ENERMAX Modu 82+
Sharkoon REBEL12
2*HD5770SingleSlot+PCI-HD4350
2xSENSY 26'
2xBOX 5HD HotPlug
3xBOX 34HD MaxinPower
2x AD4SR5HPMU Addonics 8x1ToWDGreen 
4x 1TO RAID10 ICH10+1 BACKUP OS
2 * RR622 HighPoint
Sata 88SX7042  
AverMedia H727

Lsdmeasap

Grrrrrrrrrrrr!   This might have to wait for a few hours, or until later today :(   I can't find my camera that does video!

I think we have a cheap camcorder somewhere too, so if I can't find the camera I'll hopefully be able to dig out the camcorder.   And I don't want to get into this until I have one or the other, so it has to wait until I find one.   Don't worry though,  I'll get it done today for sure as I have everything ready and waiting now!

@ Pierre  Thanks for your continued replies!

BIOS only flashes if you set force though in BIOS, so if you don't set then the normal firmware (on-Chip) from Station Drivers would stay flashed in correct?

We are not trying to modify BIOS with firmware now (We don't care what version is used anymore) and, we already know how to do that.  The issue is this user already flashed with Station Driver firmware.  So now, we are not trying to verify that works, which we have via Marvell Tray info, and verify if that process is causing his other issues or not.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:33:28 am by Lsdmeasap »

There's no rush don't worry, if you can't do it today can do it tomorrow or day after. My problem is not that urgent :)

No, there was no power spike or bad weather at the time I did the flash or when the memory scan problems appeared.

I have friends with DDR3 memory but it's not nice to ask them to lend me their stick, it means opening up their computer and if later their computer has problems, they might think I did it! I still don't think it's my memory though, because remember, if I flash with older BIOS, the memory scans with no problem, but instead there is a problem with Intel AHCI.

Your steps look fine to me, I'm sure you know what you're doing :) Just a suggestion... in your Step 1, maybe you can try to simulate my starting condition as much as possible, so:
1) set BIOS Integrated Peripherals: Intel = AHCI mode, and Marvell = IDE mode. (I know the Marvell should be set to AHCI before the Marvell flash, but I only did this afterwards with the 2nd marvell flash)
2) set MIT - memory speed = whatever your DDR3 memory speed is, in my case it was 1600mhz rather than the default 1033mhz. Because the slow memory scan problem happens when memory speed is set to a speed faster than default.

But if you don't want to simulate my starting condition (maybe you want to do a video about the right way to flash, not the wrong way lol), then up to you...

Haven't done extended CMOS clear yet, will do that just before I go to sleep.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:19:48 am by CuteBirdy »

Lsdmeasap

Ya, I see what you mean about borrowing the memory from a friend!

I thought about your first suggestion there, but then I realized it shouldn't matter since you see the same issue after reflashing in AHCI.   But ya, I'll go ahead and do it that way just in case it matters since you also thought about that too!

I planned to set my memory to 2000 anyway actually, so it'll be overclocked!

Thanks for being patient on this, I'll try to get it done this morning, if not I'll do it tonight before I get back into the forums!

Lsdmeasap

OK!!   Testing DONE!!

I find ZERO issues, and this is why I always want to do videos in instances like this, so you know I am being true and honest!

I created 3 videos, however I did have to make some changes to the hardware mentioned.   I had to use my trusty 920 CPU instead of 980X, because my 980X wasn't playing nicely with this board.   I'm an extreme overclocker (Frozen motherboard, CPU, memory), and the last time I used my 980X is was -73C and pushed past 1.7V, and that's been done 100 times to it, so needless to say it's been through a tough life :D   Anyway, it wasn't playing nicely with my UD7, so I had to use my 920.  And the 920 is an ES, so only memory multipliers are 6+8, so I could not test with 2000Mhz as I mentioned, but I did set 200 Bclk and x8 memory, so I tested at 1600 as you mentioned

I tested as we mentioned earlier, Marvell set to IDE for the flash, and that went just fine aside from the errors you mentioned before, but that's all in the videos.   I tested rebooting, hard reboot, boot from full power down, ect, plenty of testing and the memory scanner never slowed down at all!   I also tested with Intel in AHCI, and Marvell in IDE and HCI.   I also tested quick boot on and off, and while thinking of that for you, I also tested control alt delete mid way through windows loading, and it reminded me of your comment about the memory scanner sometimes being skipped like with Quick boot.   That happens often, depending on how you reboot (Even from windows can do it), and sometimes when you save/exit out of the BIOS it can happen, various times that happens but generally never on a cold bootup unless you have quick boot enabled

And I thought of one more thing while I did all this testing, that may help you with the memory scanner!!  You know the 1, 2, 3 boot order, if you aren't sure it's in Advanced BIOS I believe and I show this in the video.   At first I left it on defaults, but then I noticed it was like that during one of my visits to the BIOS, so I set my normal, 1 hard drive, 2, 3 disabled.   And that's what I think might help you, as I've seen it help people in the past when USB devices weren't to blame for slow startups, sometimes that is.   So set that to 1 - hard drive, 2 - disabled, 3 - disabled and see if it helps at all.

Since those videos are HUGE and my connection is TERRIBLE upload speed.   I'll have to process them and remove the sound, and try to shave off some of the size in camtasia studio.   Hopefully I can get them all down to about 15-20MB, and that will take me about maybe an hour or more to upload, not sure as I haven't uploaded anything over 1-2MB in a long time :D

Anyway they will be coming, unedited except for audio removal, and I'll probably resize them or change the codecs whichever will help me get them to a reasonable size.   I could upload them as is, but that would take at least 7+ hours, and often when uploading my connection will drop, so I can only upload huge files like that to FTP servers where I can resume uploads, and I don't have access to one right now.  If you do, and you want the unedited videos I'll upload them for you, you'll just have to get me FTP access somewhere.   No worries though, I'm a very honest guy when it comes to things like this, so if you don't have a server or FTP account anywhere, you'll be able to tell even with my smaller edited videos that they haven't been edited to screw with them in anyway.

I had to use a old camera (5 MP Sony Cybershot DSC-P92), so the quality isn't going to be great, hopefully it's good enough for you to see everything was fine in all my testing!  And the reason for the 3 videos is the memory stick is only 128MB in that camera!!  Haha :D

I'll post the videos later today once I've got them done and uploaded, in the meantime try my tip above and see if it helps!

Haha, Damnit man!   I just realized all three videos I had auto focus on, so they are all always trying to auto focus.   Ohh well, they are uploading now, it's pretty decent video for this camera, but if you need me to redo them all without auto focus I can tonight.

* Edit 3 *

Videos uploaded!!
http://www.mediafire.com/?td8ckkrcbam4bky

* Edit 4 *

Sorry, I also just realized that I had the board set to RAID before using AHCI, so AHCI BIOS is installed in those videos!

However, as I mentioned before that AHCI BIOS is not installed message is normal!   Here, check out the video I posted for this world record a while back, it shows that same message too! 
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?273091-Gigabyte-X58A-OC-Takes-X58-Bclk-World-Record-276.42-Bclk!!

This is completely normally and it depends on what mode you are in, have used, what hard drives and CD drives are connected where, if you've cleared CMOS in-between, flashed BIOS, ect.  Tons of things, it does not matter either way what that says, and if you need me to make it say not installed on this board in a new video let me know and I'll get-r-done when I get a chance.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 04:31:42 pm by Lsdmeasap »

Thanks for the tests. Since nobody in station-drivers has also shared a similar experience to mine, I can only conclude that my memory scanner problems aren't caused by the Marvell firmware.

I did 2 extended CMOS resets (turn off computer, take out power plug, press power on for a min, press clear cmos for a min, take battery out, leave overnight, put battery back in, turn on computer, load optimized settings). And I still have the memory scanner problem.

Since it is unlikely all 3 sticks of my RAM went faulty at the same time, I think maybe there is some kind of incompatibility issue between my RAM and the Gigabyte motherboard.

Lsdmeasap

No problem, I told you I would test for you, and I always do when promised!!

Can you test with an actual PS/2 keyboard, that way there isn't any USB items connected.   I know it should be PS/2 with the adapter, but best to try with actual just in case.

Other than that, I'd say please try to find or borrow another single stick of memory to test with, or buy a cheap set of 2x2GB, you can always use them as spares or keep for backup.   You can probably find a set of 2x2GB for less than $30, I saw a set of 8GB kingstons for $15 shipped the other day!

Which exact kit do you have?  Please link or give the model #, I'll look around and see if I can find any known issues.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 06:04:36 am by Lsdmeasap »

I have this RAM:
F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=110

Lsdmeasap

Ahhh!  Not that kit again!  :o  ;D

I got into a big huff with G.Skill over this a while back over those, so I'll only drop a few threads on you without saying anything personally (There are more, but these are the larger ones)
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/39003-x58a-ud3r-missing-memory-only-1600mhz-29.html
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/36659-ga-x58a-ud7-official-thread-33.html#post362574

Please try to find some other sticks to test with, even if you can only borrow a single stick, that way you'll at least be able to find out if your memory is causing this issue.

OOh OK, didn't know there were issues with that RAM! I'm thinking of buying some 4 x 8gb RAM, any idea which brand and model will play nice with my X58A-UD7? The only brands with reasonable prices are GSkill or Corsair...

Sorry for the slow replies, have been busy with stuff other than troubleshooting my computer :)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 03:28:15 am by CuteBirdy »