Official GIGABYTE Forum

Slow Bios after flashing Marvell 2.2.0.1125 - how to restore original Bios FULLY

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
I highly suggest sticking with kits of 3 on X58!!   And ideally only use as much memory as you actually need, to avoid issues.

I would suggest a 3x2GB kit really, but if you must have 12GB go with 3x4GB.   No worries about slow replies!   I'm often busy and don't get to reply until it's late myself, so I know what you mean!

I read on the manual, that is is OK to use kits of 2 or 4, on this motherboard. It will just work in double channel instead of triple channel. Is that correct?

The reason I'm thinking of buying a kit of 4, rather than kit of 3, is for upgrade considerations. It looks like all future Intel chipsets will be using double or quad channel RAM. For example, LGA 2011 is using quad channel, and Ivy Bridge will be double channel. When I upgrade the motherboard and CPU later, it will be nice if I can transfer my RAM to the new platform, which a kit of 3 won't!

By the way, just letting you know, I did another quick test on the Marvell firmware. I confirm it DOES permanently change parts of the Gigabyte BIOS which the main Gigabyte BIOS does not cover when flashed.

For example, I did "go -e" (to erase the Marvell firmware). It deleted the 7 sections. Then my computer can't boot anymore, problems with both IDE and AHCI devices. Reflashed the main Gigabyte BIOS, same problem (which shows the main Gigabyte BIOS doesn't include all the IDE and AHCI bios stuff). I had to flash back the Marvell firmware with "go" to get it working again.

Anyway, since you can't reproduce my problem, I guess we have to leave it at that, until another person experiences the same things as I do :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:43:07 am by CuteBirdy »

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
Yes, you can use dual channel if you want, but a kit of four is an add configuration as well.  I would go with a 2x4GB kit, unless you absolutely need more than 8GB.

The issue you experienced with erasing the Marvell Firmware causes the board to stall looking for that controller, as it's enabled by default, so that may be why it doesn't work properly for you until you fix it.   It just flashes or erases the full or sectioned parts of the Marvell firmware, nothing to do with the Gigabyte BIOS or IDE/AHCI controllers in the Gigabyte BIOS, but the lack of firmware in the Marvell controller likely does cause issue since the BIOS would be looking to load that ROM and Firmware at the same time or before the normal other hard drive controller.

I think your issue will be fixed with other memory, unless something else is causing your slow memory scan.   I tested with two different kits that day I tested, no memory scan issues or anything else as you can see in the video.   Go with 8GB or 6GB/12GB, you can always sell the 6GB/12GB kit if you want to go dual or quad in the future, or use 4GB/8GB of that and keep one as spare

skan

Finally,  what are the best image, flasher and parameters to upgrade the Marvell 88SE9128 chipset?
I tried to flash the latest found at station-drivers from a bootable USB but it doesn't do anything, I guess it doesn't recognize the chipset.
I have a Gygabyte GA-X58-UD3R motherboard.

Regards