Official GIGABYTE Forum

Motherboard not detecting GPU

Rox

Motherboard not detecting GPU
« on: April 04, 2013, 11:29:08 am »
Hey everyone I hope someone can help.

A week or so ago I had one of these motherboards die on me so I got a replacement. Now tho the new board cannot find my gpu :( its not in the bios or in windows device manager. It worked perfectly fine in the last board and the replacement is the same board

I,be tried setting PCI in the bios but it gets reset to auto every time I save and exit

I've tried switching off the IGP and that didn't work either.

Build is this

i5 processor
XFX Pro 550w PSU
4GB corsair ram
gigabyte AMD raideon HD 7950 GPU
1TB Samsung HDD

Oh and I've tried another power supply of 600w and alas no luck
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 11:30:40 am by Rox »

najiro

Re: Motherboard not detecting GPU
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 02:21:32 pm »
What's your motherboard? If there's another PCIE slot, have you tried plugging it there?
WordPress Site Builder - Content Writer - Economist - PC Hardware Enthusiast - Gamer - Foodie

Rox

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 06:10:12 pm »
What's your motherboard? If there's another PCIE slot, have you tried plugging it there?

it's a Z77-DS3H and yeah tried both the x16 and x4 slots

najiro

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 06:51:36 pm »

it's a Z77-DS3H and yeah tried both the x16 and x4 slots

Hmmm but the gpu was running fine with the previous motherboard right? Can you run the system up to the bios without the video card?
Also, try clearing the CMOS too either by the jumper or removing the CMOS battery for 10 seconds (if ever there are a different video card plugged in the motherboard before and was saved in the configuration).
WordPress Site Builder - Content Writer - Economist - PC Hardware Enthusiast - Gamer - Foodie

Rox

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 08:44:36 pm »
ye it was working fine in the last motherboard which was the same exact model

i've tried clearing the CMOS swell and that didn't work either :( with the GPU in I don't even see the bios menu

najiro

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 04:10:50 am »

i've tried clearing the CMOS swell and that didn't work either :( with the GPU in I don't even see the bios menu

that's weird... but no beeps? Yes, I just can't think of anything to troubleshoot it is you don't have visual at all. It could be the PCIE slots that's not working properly or the video card is not powered. But if it did work in the older setup which is the faulty board you got replaced and still use the same hardware for the others, the PSU should be working fine. I think you need to call your dealer again and have the motherboard replaced again...

Rox

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 12:14:44 pm »

that's weird... but no beeps? Yes, I just can't think of anything to troubleshoot it is you don't have visual at all. It could be the PCIE slots that's not working properly or the video card is not powered. But if it did work in the older setup which is the faulty board you got replaced and still use the same hardware for the others, the PSU should be working fine. I think you need to call your dealer again and have the motherboard replaced again...

Well a friend of mine Brough over his andraideon 6000 sseries and the computer recognised it straight away :S he's taken my GPu to his house to test it for me so I'm thinking I fried the card when I fried the motherboard but knowing my luck it'll work on his PC and the mystery will depend

najiro

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 06:23:31 pm »

Well a friend of mine Brough over his andraideon 6000 sseries and the computer recognised it straight away :S he's taken my GPu to his house to test it for me so I'm thinking I fried the card when I fried the motherboard but knowing my luck it'll work on his PC and the mystery will depend

ohh no... that's bad... how can the motherboard kill the video card too??? I think you need to get your PSU tested... It's usually PSU issues that kill hardware...

Rox

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 07:23:08 pm »

ohh no... that's bad... how can the motherboard kill the video card too??? I think you need to get your PSU tested... It's usually PSU issues that kill hardware...

yeah it was my old PSU that did it i think. I was attaching another fan to it and as soon as i turned it on the whole thing wouldn't boot so thats how i fried the motherboard....tbh I kinda hope the card is faulty so then it's a simple RMA and get a replacement rather than it working on his machine and me wondering wtf is wrong.

najiro

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 01:24:49 am »

yeah it was my old PSU that did it i think. I was attaching another fan to it and as soon as i turned it on the whole thing wouldn't boot so thats how i fried the motherboard....tbh I kinda hope the card is faulty so then it's a simple RMA and get a replacement rather than it working on his machine and me wondering wtf is wrong.

what's your PSU anyway? is it old?

Rox

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 08:01:05 pm »

it was an OCZ 600w until it fried the board now I won't trust it and have an XFX Pro 550w

Mate tested the GPU on his computer and it doesn't work, so looks like that PSU took the GPU with it when it died....looks like i'll be contacting Dabs for yet another RMA oh aren't I lucky lol thank you for the help anyway :) hopefully my next card works and stays working *touch wood*

najiro

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 03:38:01 pm »

it was an OCZ 600w until it fried the board now I won't trust it and have an XFX Pro 550w

Mate tested the GPU on his computer and it doesn't work, so looks like that PSU took the GPU with it when it died....looks like i'll be contacting Dabs for yet another RMA oh aren't I lucky lol thank you for the help anyway :) hopefully my next card works and stays working *touch wood*

wow that was a weird turn of events... Got a friend that had a similar situation due to frequent power failures in their place. The PSU broke and took the motherboard and video card with it.. :( Are you using a voltage regulator or you plug the PSU directly to the outlet? I'm pretty sure electricity is way better there compared to my country but it doesn't hurt to be extra careful :)

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 03:15:16 pm »
You never know what electricity will do. I had a computer hit by lighting one time.

The only thing fried was the mother board everything else in the computer was fine.

Even the PSU was fine and at that point you are shaking head. Plus saying I don't believe this.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.