Official GIGABYTE Forum

[solved] GA-990XA-UD3 rev1.1, W7 clean install and Raid

sasxa

[solved] GA-990XA-UD3 rev1.1, W7 clean install and Raid
« on: March 10, 2012, 07:24:49 pm »
Hi,
I'm having some problems with my new rig - windows 7 x64 installation doesn't recognize hard disks. All hardware is operational, it's recognized by BIOS and works with Win8CP, but can't make it work with Windows 7.

I have Gigabyte's GA-990XA-UD3 rev1.1 motherboard. In BIOS I've turned on RAID, set up arrays in MB's raid tool - 2xSSD raid 0 (connected to SATA3_0 and SATA3_1 ports), 4xSATA2 raid 5 (connected to SATA3_2-4 ports). Drives are clean, empty and working; I don't have any issues with power (700W) or anything similar - hardware works. Also I don't have any optical drives, all installations are from USB sticks, and that works too.

After booting to windows 7 installer and few initial steps, I get to the screen with boot drive selection and installer doesn't recognize the raid arrays; it asks for the drivers but none of the drivers from disk i got with MB work (divers downloaded from website don't work either), btw I've copied them to another USB stick which worked normally. I did try to install them from repair tool too.

When installing Window 8 Consumer Preview my raid 0 array is recognized and windows installs correctly (it didn't recognize raid 5 array, but did 'see' 4 separate disks, and strangely two were disabled, but I figured I'll deal with it from windows...).

Anyone have similar problems or knows how to solve this? Or does anyone know a way to 'copy' drivers from w8 to Windows 7 installation?

This is a production machine, so I don't want to keep Win8 and want to install Windows 7 x64...

Also, I should mention I'm using en_windows_7_ultimate_with_sp1_x64_dvd_618240.iso MSDN installation and Windows7-USB-DVD-tool to make bootable USB.

Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 09:42:28 pm by sasxa »

Re: GA-990XA-UD3 rev1.1, W7 clean install and Raid
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 08:38:08 pm »
Hi sasax
               lol i have just had the very same problem,and what a pain it was ,then i remembered the raid drivers it was asking for ,i had already put on a memory stick which were from a Asus set up ,and it appears that any raid drivers will do to get this motherboard going ,lol because once it saw the asus raid drivers ,wow off she went and is running like a dream,by the way i have the very same motherboard ,and thats how i got mine going ,good luck ,and what a brilliant motherboard, i just sold my sabertooth ,motherboard to buy this  Gigabyte's GA-990XA-UD3 rev1.1 motherboard.and this is awesome compared to that ,best wishes Brian.

sasxa

Re: GA-990XA-UD3 rev1.1, W7 clean install and Raid
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 09:09:16 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Those drivers do appear to be the same, but I'm still having trouble installing them. They start loading and I get the message 'No device found....' no matter which one I choose. Gonna try with few more BIOS setups and hope someone else have an idea (:

sasxa

Re: [solved] GA-990XA-UD3 rev1.1, W7 clean install and Raid
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 09:43:42 pm »
When Windows is asking for driver, just click Cancel. You will be brought back to the welcome screen. At the welcome screen, remove your USB drive, insert it back to DIFFERENT USB PORT. Click Install Now again. The installation process will be like usual.

This problem happened to all new version of updated Windows 7 installer. I think, it is due to failure of Windows installer to remain its detection to the USB drive. It lost the connection, and became confused, don't know where to find the USB drive it used to read before.

When we re-insert the USB drive, Windows installer will detect the USB drive back, and continue like usual.

LOL

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: [solved] GA-990XA-UD3 rev1.1, W7 clean install and Raid
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 04:51:30 pm »
If that doesn't help please list your hardware so we have a better idea of what your system consists of.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB