Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-G41M-ES2L won't post - beeps 9 times

GA-G41M-ES2L won't post - beeps 9 times
« on: November 12, 2009, 03:53:59 am »
I haven't been able to get this new GA-G41M-ES2L to post. I have the 24-pin connector plugged in, the 4-pin, 12V connector and a speaker, USB keyboard and monitor. The CPU fan is also plugged in.

I have two sticks of memory that I took out of a working machine. The behavior is the same whether I use 1 stick or two.

I have tried two different power supplies. The second one is brand new.

I've tried it with the built in VGA, as well as a PCIe video card.

I have removed the battery, and shorted the CMOS clear pin.

The manual describes 1 short, and 9 long beeps as a Bios ROM error, but says nothing about only 9 beeps. I'd say they are long, but it's hard to tell. Once it beeps 9 times, it pauses for about 4 seconds, and then starts beeping again. The fans stay on.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Chris

Pottypete

Re: GA-G41M-ES2L won't post - beeps 9 times
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 08:59:59 am »
Hi,
Thats a post code for ROM Checksum error,
Change your CMOS battery on the mobo and clear/ reset CMOS in bios,
regards

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 02:32:43 am »
Hi Pottypete, thanks for your suggestion. I pulled the battery, and it if fully charged at 3.0V

I wonder if failing the ROM Checksum is an indication that the BIOS is corrupt?

Chris

R_N_B

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 09:40:32 am »
Hello mate - Potty was not saying check to see if the battery is charged or no mate. He was suggesting that you should completely clear your cmos. You do that by removing all hardware and that includes all bits even the PSU stuff then taking the battery out and clearing the CMOS using the jumpers. Look in the manual to see how to do that. Leave the battery out for about an hour and then put the stuff back. That way you are sure any corrupt bios settings have been reset.

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 12:50:28 pm »
Hi R_N_B. While I've had the battery out several times and the pin shorted each time, I haven't left it out for more than a few minutes yet. I've pulled the battery, and will try it again this evening. That ought to give it plenty of time to discharge. Thanks, Chris

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 01:14:40 am »
I pulled the battery and left the mobo unplugged from the power supply all day. After I put the battery back in, I shorted the jumper to clear the CMOS, and plugged everything back in.

Same behavior. Nine beeps - a pause, then repeats.

Chris

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 04:15:51 am »
Received message from Gigabyte support suggesting that the beeping was caused by unstable memory and that the memory I was using might not run at 1.8V. Swapped with another stick of DDR2800, and was able to post and enter CMOS.

BTW, here is the procedure Gigabyte gave me for clearing the CMOS:

First, make sure the 24 pin ATX and other 4 pin 12v power both are connected to mother board, then disconnect all drive cable and remove all memory from mother board, take onboard cell battery out for 5 sec clear CMOS, put in single stick memory on slot close to cpu. Check if system can boot into bios setting, reset bios to load fail-safe defaults and load optimized defaults.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Chris

Pottypete

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 09:51:00 am »
HI,
Thanks for taking the time to update us with your success mate,
Regards