Official GIGABYTE Forum

is it safe to run GA-880GMA-USB3 with phenom ll x4 960t with 6 cores unlocked?

mascott

Hi again peeps, am looking for some more great advice from you all again, after finally getting a new cpu cooler for my system(the gemin ll sf524) i decided it was time to see if i could run my system safely with 6 cores unlocked and maybe do some overclockong as well and  got it to work first ime with 6 cores unlocked but noticed in hw moniter that the power went from 116w(4 cores) to 177w(6 cores) at idle and was to scared to try to overclock with the 6 cores so changed it back to 4 core at stock.My question is would i be safe to run with 6 cores unlocked and leave it at stock settings and not damage my MB or just overclock the 960t with 4 cores?. I have never done any overlocking before so all this is new to me and just whant to be safe and not do any harm to the MB or cpu...thanks in advance for any help you can give me  :)
My first pc build
CPU- PHENOM II X960T,MB- GA880GMA-USB3,CPU COOLER COOLER,ASTER GEMIN ll SF524,MEMORY 8GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE RUNNUNG AT 1333mhz 9.9.9.24 CL9,GPU-SAPPHIRE HD6770,HD-WD 500GB BLUE,PSU CORSAIR-VX450,DVD DRIVE-LITE ON IHAS 124-19, CASE ANTEC VERIS REMOTE BLACK,OS WINDOWS 7 PRO

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Hi Mascott,

I can't give a definite answer as to whether or not it would be safe to run with the cores unlocked but that seems a pretty big jump in Wattage to me and is probably why the cores were locked off by AMD. Personally, if I were in your position, I would O/C with just the 4 cores as this will be the safer option.

Not sure if you can disable either of the extra cores, as I have never played with this feature, but it might be worthwhile playing around to see if you can as it could be that you can get 5 cores working fine without the increased power draw.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.