Official GIGABYTE Forum

BIOS Checksum Error and Power-Up Problems

daeger

BIOS Checksum Error and Power-Up Problems
« on: March 28, 2012, 05:21:57 pm »
Hello everyone.

Over the winter I custom built my desktop gaming computer using a Gigabyte GA-Z68 based motherboard, and for approximately 3 months it's been working fine, until today.

I have not done any form of major tweaking or overclocking since getting my computer, and did nothing of significance to cause the recent problem. When turning on my computer this morning, it powered up for half a second then turned off for a second, then powered on for half a second, then turned off for a second, then powered on for a little more then a second, then powered off, and then FINALLY stayed on long enough to get to the BIOS screen, only to fall into the

"Warning: BIOS Checksum Error!" screen right after.

Another thing to note as of now, there were no motherboard beeps throughout any of this, and I bought a efficient power supply for this computer, so I have trouble believing that's the case.

It continues to go through this 'turn on, then off, then on, then off, then on' pattern after I initially turn it on the one time. I have tried to Load Optimized Setting in the BIOS and turned off the power supply / unplugged the computer for a lengthy amount of time, neither have shown results.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated, I'll be checking in throughout the day.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: BIOS Checksum Error and Power-Up Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 08:21:27 pm »
Hi daeger,

could you post back with your full motherboard model (there's a lot of GA-Z68's), BIOS version and your other hardware please as it will make trouble shooting easier?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 08:24:35 pm »

Another thing to note as of now, there were no motherboard beeps throughout any of this, and I bought a efficient power supply for this computer, so I have trouble believing that's the case.

Hi and welcome

Yopu say yopui have used a good PSU for your build but don't say what make and mode also some details of your build would be useful.

After you have sorted out the above  would suggest an extended clear of the CMOS and then a new battery (CR23032) followed by loading Optimised BIOS Defauilts.

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery overnight before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Optimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self like disabling the floppy drive, disabling the full screen logo and making the HDD the primary boot device and then press F10 to save and exit.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

daeger

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 12:18:50 am »
Here are some of the hardware specs asked for:

Motherboard: GA-Z68XP-UD3
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
Power Supply: Corsair TX850W Power Supply
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500k

I'll take the advice of replacing the battery for my motherboard, and update this tomorrow night to see if it works.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 08:55:59 am »
OK. I take it that you have also followed the instructions regarding the clearing of the CMOS overnight ?
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 08:33:02 pm »
So does it run now, once it gets going I mean?

You should update to the latest BIOS, and then always start with optimized defaults in the BIOS and reboot back to the BIOS before making all other changes you need to make (SATA, Memory voltage, ect)

Then for P67 and Z68 it's best that you also update the backup BIOS to match the main BIOS, you may need to use a PS/2 keyboard or USB to PS/2 adapter to do this, here's a video on how to do it
http://gigabytedaily.blogspot.com/2011/02/video-guide-how-to-update-your-backup.html

IN case it matters later, please also add your memory model and amount installed to the above posted specs, or add all of that to your main post or signature, thanks!