Official GIGABYTE Forum

New Motherboard supports only HDD and CD rom

newboy

New Motherboard supports only HDD and CD rom
« on: March 21, 2012, 08:37:02 pm »
HI hope some of you people with more experience than me can help me out please
Just rebuilt my pc with a new board GA-P67A-D3 B3 revision 2 when i switch the pc on i get the Gigabyte logo screen the one with the car
Next i get a black screen with the following text ...This Version Only Supports HDD and CD ROM please wait...
Then another black screen with the following text...Loading Operating System...
After about 30 seconds it is done and showing the normal desktop apart from the above the pc works ok it is fast and am really pleased with my new board the only thing i have changed in the bios is the sata control mode changed this from  from IDE to AHCI for my SSD did this before i loaded the OS.
The board came with the latest F6 bios but according to Gigabyte website this is the wrong bios the F6 is the latest bios for revision 1
My board is revision 2 latest bios for this board is shown as FD on Gigabyte website.
Could it be the bios version is the reason for the screens i get at startup (as i said earlier pc seems to be running ok it is faster than it was before even desktop work is smoother) or could it be i have missed loading a driver when installing
My pc
Win 7 Home Premium
GA-P67A-D3 B3 revision 2
Intel I3 2120
Crucial balistics Sport 1600 4gb x 2
Corsair Force 3 120gb SSD
Corsair VX 450 psu
Powercolor HD6850
Thanks for any help

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: New Motherboard supports only HDD and CD rom
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 08:53:13 pm »
Hi there,

the screens you are seeing are quite normal and are nothing to worry about.

If you want to avoid the Gigabyte Logo Screen during the POST phase of starting up you can disable this quite safely in BIOS under the Advanced BIOS Features - Full Screen LOGO Show set to Disabled.

If you want to speed things up a little you can also enable the Quick BOOT Option in the same section of BIOS but a quick note here, if you do this you won't hear the POST Beep when the PC first starts up.

To double check which motherboard you have look at the board itself and the Revision number is printed on the lower left hand corner of the board. You can also double check your BIOS version by pressing the "F9" Key when on the BIOS Homescreen.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

newboy

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 09:39:13 pm »
Thanks for the reply yes i know how to disable the startup screen have also looked on the board before building pc says rev.2 plus bios revision shows as F6 on the bios info screen you did not mention the black screens with the text i am seeing so i take it if i disable the startup screen these will not come up thanks for putting my mind at rest did think i had forgot to load a driver.
What about the Bios version would you change it to FD(rev.2) from F6(rev.1) the only difference i can see between rev.1 and rev.2 is rev.1 has VRM heatsink plus no setting for CPU voltage in Bios only has setting for DVID.
Rev.2 (my board) has no heatsink on VRM but has Bios settings for both CPU voltage and DVID the DVID can only be set when the CPU voltage is set to normal so is it worth changing Bios version as pc is running ok.

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 05:47:39 pm »
Does your board say Rev. 2.0 on the PCB?  If so, then it sounds like the wrong BIOS is flashed in there, you can correct this if you want, if you want to do that let me know and I'll help you via PM with that.

My comments are only in regards to your BIOS/Board revision concerns, nothing to do with the onscreen info questions.  As for those, the "This version only supports, ect" is the Intel AHCI ROM loading, that is normal

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 07:43:17 pm »
The screen that you are referring to is all part of the normal booting process and is nothing to be alarmed by.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

newboy

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 12:26:02 am »
Thanks to all of you for the help and yes it says REV.2 on the corner of the  board near the pci slots so i will be changing the bios over the weekend think i will do it using a usb memory stick seems the safest option to me.
Will ask again if i need more help.
Thank again 

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 06:38:07 pm »
You'll need to try via DOS using FlashSPI with a switch at the end of the command (/X or /Z), or you may have to try with the latest @BIOS, since the wrong BIOS is flashed in there.

newboy

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 09:14:32 pm »
Thanks again for all the help the new bios is done + backup bios as well thanks to the help and info on this forum.

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 06:53:12 am »
Awesome to hear you got all that done without any hassles!

Post back anytime if you need more help with anything!   BTW, did you have to force flash it since the wrong BIOS was in there, or did @BIOS flash it for you without any hassle?