Official GIGABYTE Forum

Solution: GA-P35-DS3 Rev 1.0 BIOS F14 SATA AHCI Native Mode hangs at HDD detecti

kondra

Only to keep things up to date. There was no more conversation or any solution by Gigabyte. Seems they are not very interested in fixing bugs.

gechu

Applied the solution you detailed to my P35-DS3 rev 2.1 and it worked. Thanks again for the writeup!

thanks dear for sharing i hope this sloution will be helpful to every one

Broax

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Solution: GA-P35-DS3 Rev 1.0 BIOS F14 SATA AHCI Native Mode hangs at HDD detection
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following is the solution for many hangs inside the AHCI controller device enumeration at BIOS startup.
In addition other errors that appear to be strange are also related to a combination of firmware and Windows
Setup CD bugs. If you follow the listed steps I am not responsible for any damage that may occur! Keep in
mind that I am a bloody noob, which still tries to understand how these computers work, but getting better
in it every day.

Scenario 1
Error
-------
- BIOS is set to AHCI native SATA Mode
  BIOS > Integrated Peripherals >
  SATA AHCI Mode = AHCI
  SATA Port0-1 Native Mode = Enabled
- HDD is connected
- at the AHCI device scan we see the following text on the screen:
  Serial ATA AHCI BIOS, Version iSrc 1.20E
  Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Intel Corporation
  ** This version supports only Hard Disk and CDROM drives **
  Please wait. This will take few seconds.
  Controller Bus#00, Device#1F, Function#02: 04 Ports, 02 Devices
- the cursor is blinking infinite and no device can be enumerated

Solution
----------
- turn off computer
- disconnect HDD
- turn on computer and go to BIOS
- set BIOS to Legacy IDE Mode
  SATA AHCI Mode = Disabled
  SATA Port0-1 Native Mode = Disabled
- save BIOS changes and turn off computer
- connect the HDD which caused the problem and a 2nd HDD for launching XP
- in XP use a hex editor, I like to use "010 Editor" and open the PhysicalDrive of the HDD causing the hang
- in the MBR, which is the very first sector, set the 3 bytes starting at offset 0x1C3 to FE FF FF and save
  the changes to the PhysicalDrive
- now the controller can be set back to AHCI native mode in BIOS and the hang disappears

Simulate the problem
----------------------
- use a HDD with a MBR and an active 1st primary partition, this is normally a HDD for booting an OS
- use a hex editor and set the 3 bytes starting at offset 0x1C3 to 01 08 00
- set BIOS to AHCI native SATA Mode
  SATA AHCI Mode = AHCI
- after the next reboot the AHCI device enumeration will hang infinite

Scenario 2
Error
-------
- BIOS is set to AHCI native SATA Mode
  SATA AHCI Mode = AHCI
- HDD is connected
- the primary partition start offset is 2048 sectors, which is equal to 1.048.576 bytes (1 * 1024 * 1024),
  this is an alignment value normally used for SSDs to improve read / write speed
- Windows 2003 Server x86 with integrated SP2 is used to install the HDD
- you press F6 to choose an AHCI driver floppy disk during setup
- we use the already present partition and do only a quick NTFS format or we choose "Leave the current file
  system intact (no changes)" if available
- the OS installs and on the 1st reboot directly after the AHCI Controller device scan you read one of the
  following error messages:
  - A disk read error occurred
  - Unable to load operating system
  - Error loading operating system

Solution
----------
- turn computer off
- connect the HDD which caused the problem and a 2nd HDD for launching XP
- turn computer on
- set BIOS to IDE Legacy Mode for XP to start
- in XP use a hex editor and open the PhysicalDrive of the HDD that you installed Windows Server 2003 on
- in the MBR set the 3 bytes starting at offset 0x1C3 to FE FF FF and save the changes to the PhysicalDrive
- turn computer off
- disconnect XP HDD
- turn on computer
- switch BIOS to native AHCI Mode
- now Windows 2003 Server / Windows XP Setup will boot and continue
- you will now have a properly aligned partition starting at sector 2048

Simulate the problem
----------------------
- set BIOS to legacy IDE Mode for XP to start
- use a completely blank HDD, you can also blank a HDD in XP with "010 Editor"
- use diskpar on XP on this blank HDD
- type "diskpar -i 0" and "diskpar -i 1" and look which drive number matches the blank HDD, no partitions
  should be shown
- let assume your blank HDD has drive number 1
- type "diskpar -s 1"
- set start offset to 2048 sectors, which is equal to 1.048.576 bytes (1 * 1024 * 1024)
- set partition size to e.g. 25000 MB (25 GB = 25000 * 1024 * 1024 = 26.214.400.000 bytes)
- start XP Disk Manager diskmgmt.msc and format the new partition, also set it to active
- turn off computer
- disconnect XP HDD
- turn on computer
- set BIOS to native AHCI Mode
- run Windows 2003 Server / Windows XP Setup CD
- press F6 to choose an AHCI driver floppy disk during setup
- we install into the already present partition and choose "Leave the current file system intact (no changes)"
- the OS installs and on the 1st reboot directly after the AHCI Controller device scan you read one of the
  following error messages:
  - A disk read error occurred
  - Unable to load operating system
  - Error loading operating system

I'm sorry for necroing this topic but I have this exact same board (I know, I shouldn't be using such old hardware) and this exact same problem (scenario 1) but when I try to apply this fix I can't find the required offset. If I go to 0x1C3 the values I have are "65 73 73" which relate to the system message "Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart".

I'd love to be able to fix this but I'd have to ask someone to hold my hand when changing hex values on the MBR. I don't know much (next to nothing about this actually) but enough to know these aren't the bytes I'm looking for.

PS: I looked all over the internet and googled to the best of my abilities but was not able to find a solution. That's why I'm bothering you on this forum again... :/

PS2: This is what I'm talking about: http://i.imgur.com/Ys0gU3O.png
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 04:55:51 pm by Broax »

sswuo

I'm sorry for necroing this topic but I have this exact same board (I know, I shouldn't be using such old hardware) and this exact same problem (scenario 1) but when I try to apply this fix I can't find the required offset. If I go to 0x1C3 the values I have are "65 73 73" which relate to the system message "Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart".

I'd love to be able to fix this but I'd have to ask someone to hold my hand when changing hex values on the MBR. I don't know much (next to nothing about this actually) but enough to know these aren't the bytes I'm looking for.

PS: I looked all over the internet and googled to the best of my abilities but was not able to find a solution. That's why I'm bothering you on this forum again... :/

PS2: This is what I'm talking about: http://i.imgur.com/Ys0gU3O.png

Is easy to do in WinHex(see scr):
1) Menu --> Tools --> Open Disk... --> Physical Media (choose which you need)
2) Go offset 1C3 and fix it

P.S.: Many thanks kondra!
Using your patch I have repaired my 1 TB Seagate hard disk according to scenario 1 (hangs when AHCI drive scan)
What you have done is worthy of recognition.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 01:02:00 am by sswuo »

I'd like to share that this flaw also affected my EP35-DS4 F6 bios (latest version available).  I was setting up a Win7/Win10 multiboot partition, and suddenly the bios locked up and wouldn't recognize any drives during post. 

Many thanks to the original poster who uncovered this problem.  In my case, I had 4 partitions in the primary partition table and applied the "fix" to all of them.  I didn't take the time to figure out if only the first partition would fix it.