Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 slow sata 3 ssd

Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 slow sata 3 ssd
« on: April 06, 2012, 03:32:10 am »
Hi all, Ive just built my new rig with the above motherboard,

I have installed all the drivers and chipset stuff but my corsair force 3 ssd is running really slow, I have benchmarked my read and write speeds and Im getting less than 200 mb/s read and about 100 mb/s write speed on the ssd benchmark. I should be getting closed to 500 mb/s on sata 3.

AHCI is enabled in the bios and the drive is plugged in the sata 3 port.

What do you suggest the problem is?

Thanks

TC
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 03:55:54 am by tezza192 »

Glenn

Re: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 slow sata 3 ssd
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 04:17:07 pm »
Hi mat8
what bench mark tool are u using ?
try atto the post it also what are your system specs to , try this look in your book and look for c3/c6 setting under cpu settings look hard and you will find turn it of and it will fix good luck Glenn. 

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 04:29:50 pm »
Thanks Glenn will try and report back

Tc

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 08:04:19 pm »
Ok I used ATTO it seems better.

Does this look like ok sata 3 ssd performance ?

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 03:35:04 pm »
Hi Tezza192
                 Unfortunately there are number types of memory used for SSD's Synchronous , Asynchronous & the most expensive & still in the unaffordable category Toggle (of the non enterprise, PCI-e SSD's)  flash (NAND non- volatile memory) and the Corsair Force 3 SSD uses the latter which usually bench test half as fast.
Drives that use the Synchronous type are more expensive than Asynchronous like the Corsair GT range.

Here is a link to an article by HardOcp to help you to get an insight (and understand the numbers game used by the OEM sales & advertising departments) into SSD memory http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/08/07/nand_flash_faces_off_synchronous_vs_asynchronous/

You did not mention the size of the Force 3 SSD as 120 gig Force 3 SSD's with serial numbers (on the drive label not the digital s/n) 1122xxx and under suffered from BSOD crashing bug due to firmware & hardware (SF2281 controller) issue which caused Corsair to issue a recall for those drives see http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=95825 as you can see some people are still reporting problems with drives with s/n greater than 1123xxx being advised by Corsair to upgrade the SSD firmware again to another one provided by Corsair

This problem is not related to Corsair drives alone Google sf2281 bug problems and you will see some 5 million plus hits.

In addition, it is strange that it has seemed to have had a greater affect on SF2281 controllers utilizing Asynchronous NAND memory.

In this day and age it is inevitable to get a few BSOD problems but this has made people jittery with a C SSD system drive when the system suffers a BSOD crash.

I too also had a 120 gig Force 3 (made sure of s/n first) mine was 1134xxx but still suffered a few too many crashes and RMA'd this drive with my supplier who has agreed and went with a 240 gig Corsair GT SSD instead (prices have dropped here from $480 to $350 mark in the last month) and had good benches for video NLE applications which is want I want

If you are interested a good article can be found here http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/corsair-kingston-ocz-patriot-ssd.html that goes into more detail on SSD memory and bench testing on a number of drives and their conclusions. 

There are a number of good articles on the web that give results using utilities like the one mentioned above Crystal Disk Mark , HD Pro & PC Mark to name a few which also give details on their test rig setup
Cheers
My NLE All-rounder
Mobo: GA-Z68XP-UD4
CPU: I7-2600K
Cooler: Antec H2O-920 Liquid
GPU: Asus GTX 660Ti 2GB OC Edition 
RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16 Gig DDR3-1600
C: Corsair 240 Gig GT SSD
Storage 9TB RAID
Optical 1: LG 12LS38 BluRay Combo
Optical2: Pioneer DVR219
PSU: ThermalTake XT 875W 80 plus