Official GIGABYTE Forum

the usual "no post, no beeps" thread - but no part is bad!

zartom

the usual "no post, no beeps" thread - but no part is bad!
« on: April 06, 2012, 10:08:51 pm »
hello. like many before me i've spent the last week or 2 trying to fix my system. everything started when i tried to change thermal paste!!!

CPU and Motherboard came back from the lab (warranty) - nothing is broken, nothing is wrong!
everything else worked 5 minutes before i opened the case the first time... been working flawlessly for the last 1.5 years

problem:
just PSU, motherboard, 1 stick of RAM (alternating with another 3), cpu and display adapter is assembled on a wooden table at the moment
system powers on
no beeps (using an improvised home made speaker)
no display
not able to shut down using the power button then was used to power on
no post or bios

motherboard is MA-790X-UD3P
CPU is an old Phenom 9750
memory is 2 Gskill and 2 kingston
PSU is HEC 500W
display: Radeon 6870

tried the CMOS reset thing
have no spare parts to test, that's why i sent the CPU and board to the lab...
no more ideas...

please help!

Vezina

• If it s not broken, fix it until it is !
Re: the usual "no post, no beeps" thread - but no part is bad!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 07:38:14 am »
You have to:

1.Get all the components outside of the case ,reset the bios and remake the system on a wooden surface.
2.Swap the PSU for known good one..
3.RMA the motherboard.
Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

1.ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 + FX 6300 + H60
2.MSI A88X-G41 PC Mate + A8 5600K + Hyper TX 2
3.Gigabyte F2A75-D3H + A4 5300
4.ASUS AM1M-A + Athlon 5150

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 07:47:21 am »
Hi there,

sorry to see your having problems and I don't think there will be a quick fix for this. The reality is, when a PC suddenly stops working and the motherboard and processor are tested as fine then you have to go through every other component to find out which one is failing. Please don't assume that just because everything was working fine that it still is. I have faced a similar problem and the final culprit turned out to be a faulty mouse, which I didn't track down until I had spent a lot of money on other parts.  :'(

The obvious place to start is to check that all of the necessary power leads are connected to the motherboard and also the GPU if required.

Disconnect everything else from the system except for one stick of RAM and I do mean EVERYTHING else including mouse and keyboard at this stage. Then try to start the PC.

I wouldn't rely on a home made motherboard speaker and if possible get hold of a proper one to hear the POST Beeps, if any.

If you still have no luck get the PSU Tested as it may not be delivering enough power or use another PSU to eliminate this as the cause. Again, I have encountered issues such as yours with a brand new PSU so don't miss this step by believing your unit is fine.

If the PC does start, shut it down and then add one component at a time, restarting the PC each time to check if it will still BOOT. Hopefully you will eventually find what is causing the problem.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 11:50:30 am »
Hi

First a few obvious things that are easilly overlooked.

Have you made sure that all your power leads are copnnected to the motherboard. That is the 24 pin and the 8 pin near the CPU ?

Have you made sure that the motherboard's BIOS supports your processor ?

Have you made sure that the memory is in the correct slots and compatible with the motherboard/CPU ? I notice that you have two different makes of RAM. That isn't going to help so remove one of them.

Your PSU is a little on the low side foir your system Maybe try a new decent make and higher powered one of at least 650W.

Have you actually got a buzzer fitted to the motherboard as they don't come as standard nowadays ?

Please also post a complet list of your hardware so we have more info to go on.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 11:51:48 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

omagic

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 06:55:04 pm »
I had a familiar problem few months ago. It was caused by MOLEX_>SATA adapter :/ Do You have any of them connected to Your PSU?

That adapter burned the PSU but the Guy I was fixing it for made 2 bg mistakes:

1. Bought some Modecom PSU ;)
2. Plugged some G(arbage)embird adapter
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 07:07:27 pm by omagic »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 09:12:51 pm »
Yes too many people buy cr*p components and then wonder why their systems fail.  Often they put saving money before quality which is the opposite of what you need to do. The PSU is the favourite thing, people pay a fortune for their other components and then expect some 30$ box to power it all and wonder why when  a few weeks down the line it goes wrong and destroys half of their system.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB