Official GIGABYTE Forum

ECC memory with AM3+ 990FX boards

ECC memory with AM3+ 990FX boards
« on: December 12, 2011, 01:25:48 pm »
Although the Gigabyte website does not say that ECC memory is supported, it does not say that it isn't.
Does anyone know if the 990FX boards can use ECC memory with all the options in the BIOS?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: ECC memory with AM3+ 990FX boards
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 02:09:25 pm »
Hi there,

I think you can use ECC memory on these boards but I can not find anything to substantiate this, so I have asked runn3R, the Gigabyte Forum Moderator, to have a look and to advise on this.

It could be dependant on the CPU you are using as the memory controllers are now built into these and are not part of the motherboard.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 02:45:12 pm »
Thanks for your quick reply.

I intend to use my existing AM3 Athlon II X3 455 processor at first (to spread the cost) which is currently running in an AM2+ GA-MA790FX-DS5 with F8I BIOS. This processor works well with DDR2 ECC memory, however I would have to upgrade to DDR3 (ECC hopefully) with the new AM3+ board.

Eventually I intended to get a Bulldozer CPU, but I'm not so sure now after reading all the negative reviews, so I could consider a Phenom if necessary.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 05:29:09 pm »
I just had a reply from runn3R about this and it states the following:

There are two requirements for ECC memory support in the motherboard.
One is hardware design, the other is BIOS code implementation.
Basically, our 990FX series can support ECC memory so if you use it, there will be options available in bios.

However, we have no done verification for ECC memory on these models therefore they are not listed in QVL for instance. ECC RAM is rather targeted for server / workstation / enterprise market.

Hope this helps
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 08:10:01 pm »
Thanks absic and runn3R,

It only remains to decide which board to get, which would you recommend - the UD3, UD5 or UD7? (The UD7 will fit in my case )
- or should I start a new thread?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 08:49:51 am »
Well I'm using the UD5 and have had no major problems with it.
If you have some time to spare you might like to look at this thread: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,5704.0.html where I go into it with some detail.

Obviously, your final choice will have to depend on what you want from the motherboard and, of course, the cost.

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 02:04:42 pm »
Thanks again for your reply absic,

I am after rock solid stability without overclocking for work use (therefore ECC RAM) and the ability to run DCS Warthog by Eagle Dynamics at high settings without having to overclock.

I have heard rumours that the alleged rev1.1/rev2.0 of the UD5/UD7 are better boards with more features in the BIOS such as Load Line Control. However, I cannot find any evidence of this and I am inclined to think that some people may have their facts wrong and that these are features with a later BIOS revision, not a later board revision. (The Gigabyte website only mentions rev1.0 boards).

1 - So is Load Line Control a feature of both the UD5 and/or the UD7 rev1.0 boards with a later BIOS, or does it only feature on alleged later revision boards?
2 - Is either the UD5 or the UD7 any cooler/reliable/better supported/better BIOS than the other?
3 - I know you have the UD5 (excellent thread by the way), but, if cost and case size were not an issue - which of the two boards would you get for yourself if you were buying today?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 02:53:18 pm by motokiume »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 04:03:18 pm »
On my Rev 1.0 UD5 there is no LLC but I have to say that I really haven't found this to be a problem. I have been able to O/C my 1090T to over 4.2GHz and it has been rocked solid. Yes, the voltage control on the 9 series boards is handled differently but, once you understand how it works it shouldn't present a problem. At stock settings again, I can say that I have had no problems and no BSOD's (unless I have done something really stupid) and I would imagine with an FX processor on-board, the same would apply, especially if you are not planing to O/C.

If it were my money I would still go for the UD5 as this board has all the features and more than I want or need.

Looking at the various download pages for both boards I would say they are equally well supported.

I don't know about other revisions of either board, to be honest and you would really have to ask Tech Support about LLC with regard to this. That said, I think the UD7 has had LLC added via a BIOS update but again only another user or Tech Support would be able to confirm this for you.

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 09:25:42 pm »
Thanks again absic,

I will fire off an email to Gigabyte Tech Support and hopefully get an answer. (a few years ago I emailed them and it took six weeks to get a reply ???)

One thing that I have thought of, is that in the future, when I upgrade again, I would be unable to re-use the UD7 in the wifes computer case that won't take more than a standard size board.

So even though I am tempted by the UD7, the UD5 makes more sense, and its cheaper.

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 10:47:44 pm »
Hi absic, since I posted above, I have found this review at TweakTown (from Oct 2011) which I thought might interest you:
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4387/gigabyte_ga_990fxa_ud5_amd_990fx_motherboard_review/index1.html

In the lower picture. it clearly shows rev1.1 on the UD5 board in the bottom left hand corner next to the VIA chip:
(Larger pictures are available at the above link)

It also has Load Line Control in the BIOS. (BIOS version unknown)

What the difference between rev 1.0 and rev 1.1 boards is - I have no idea. I'm not even sure if they share the same BIOS.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 11:03:09 pm by motokiume »

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 12:41:46 pm »
Update:

I emailed Gigabyte and finally got an answer about two weeks ago.
I had held off and held off buying a new motherboard (due to many reasons) and I had still not decided which motherboard to get when I got the reply.
Their email was so condescending and explained that I was clearly mistaken and obviosly did not know what I was talking about.
On the positive side, it helped me make up my mind about which motherboard to buy: I bought a 990FX board made by a competitor to Gigabyte and I am very pleased with it.

Don't get me wrong - I really like Gigabyte boards and graphic cards, but this time I was pushed away by a bad attitude from Gigabyte support.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 02:25:13 pm »
Hi again,

sorry to see that you went for a different mobo but I can understand your reasoning and it is a shame that Tech Support let the side down in this instance, which I have to say, is not something that happens very often. The only reason I can think of is that your question ended up in Tech Support Taiwan and something got lost in translation.

Still, enjoy your current mobo and hopefully, when it is next time for you to upgrade, you will return to Gigabyte.

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 10:20:17 pm »
Thanks for your reply absic,

I have always found this forum to be extremly helpfull, asnd seeing as my wifes computer is using a Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 and also has a Gigabyte 5770 graphics card, I shall still be here.

As for Gigabyte, I have always found the build quality to be high and the products reliable, it was just unanswered questions that put me off this time, but I will certainly consider Gigabyte for my next motherboard.