Official GIGABYTE Forum

Problems with 5770 - Driver stopped working

Problems with 5770 - Driver stopped working
« on: November 19, 2009, 11:40:10 am »
Hello!
I bought a Gigabyte 5770 a week ago and it seems I have some problems. Usually when I stay on desktop and I do light stuff (like listening to music, browsing internet etc) I get a black screen for a few secs then the image recovers and I get the message "Display driver stopped working and recovered". This usually happens one time a day. The systems dosen't freezes (I can still hear the music while the screen goes black and reappeares). This DOSNEN'T happens in 3d mode. I played hours and hours of games without this issue. It happens only in 2d mode.

What I did: upgraded my motherboard bios from F6 to F7a beta. Used driver sweeper to delete all old drivers and installed the latest drivers for chipset, lan, audio and video card ( I have an gigabyte p31-es3g motherboard). I'm currently using windows 7 professional x86 with all updates. I had a sapphire 4850 before which worked without any issues. I tryed the beta drivers for video card, and now I'm using catalyst 9.11. I changed some bios settings like turbo to standard and other things without any succes. I really hope this is just a "driver problem" and not a deffective video card. Any help  /suggestions is/are appreciated.

Nothing is overcloaked and I didn't ocd anything. My gpu temperature is 38 in idle and 68 in full load. The other temperatures are also fine. Again I say that this problem dosen't appears in 3d mode.

My pc configuration:
E7500 cpu
P31-es3g Gigabyte motherboard
Radeon 5770 Gigabyte gpu
Seagate 500gb hdd
2x2 gb corsair ram ddr2 fsb800
500 w sirtec psu, it has 2x18 A on 12v
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 11:43:07 am by Rhymester »

R_N_B

Re: Problems with 5770 - Driver stopped working
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 03:36:24 pm »
Mate when you installed your new video card did you first remove the old drivers in safe mode?

I saw that you cleaned the drivers but could not see that detail. Might be a good idea to do a registry clean up in safe mode after removing all the drivers and then reinstall the latest ones.

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 04:25:59 pm »
Yeah, I uninstalled CCC & driver, then went to safe mode, and I used driver sweeper to remove any files left. I do not think that this might be the problem.

Pottypete

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 11:48:39 pm »
hi,
Try  clearing cmos, reseting bios to default, and reboot,
Just a hunch
Regards

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 09:13:39 pm »
Well, I did clear cmos then I formated my hdd, and installed a fresh copy of windows 7. Installed the last drivers for chipeste, gpu, etc but still ocasionally, on desktop/light 2d I will get a black screen for 2-5 secs and receive "Display driver atikmdag stopped responding and has successfully recovered." It happens on time a day or one time per 2 days, the pc didn't freezed. Again I was listening to music and the music didn't stopped, just the screen went black and recovered. Any other suggestions? I am completly out of ideas. I am expecting some stability. I still hope this is a driver/software problem and not a hardware one. I'm currently thinking of creating a  support ticket at Gigabyte.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 09:16:20 pm by Rhymester »

halla

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 05:37:06 pm »
I wanted to bump this to see if anyone has a solution for this. I seen a lot of other 57xxx threads describing this but since the OP describes the problems spot on like how i experience them i decided to react on this.

It's not a Gigabyte flaw as i dont have anything from Gigabyte ;)

My rig:
ASUS Maximum Gene II mb
Q9450
4GB Corsair 6400XMS (indentical sets)
crossfire 5770 (2 indentical ASUS cards)

I ran Prime95 for over 4 days so i am pretty certain its stable, before this crossfire 5770 i ran crossfire 4850 which never caused me problems.

Gaming in 3D goes excellent, in 2D (desktop?) the driver stops responding on the most tiny tasks like viewing a photo or opening an clip on youtube.

Pottypete

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 08:14:44 am »
Hi
From what info I can gather it seems to be a driver problem/glitch
check you are using the latest driver realeased for your bios and graphics card firmware
cheers

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 09:25:09 am »
I've manage to run this video card without any issuesfor over 3 moths after some tricks. I realissed that when crashing the clocks were 157/300, and for some reasons the voltage was droping a bit. What I done? I got my other monitor, I pluged in just the vga cable (not the power one), and I choosed duplicate. In this conditions the idle clocks are 400/1200. Never had one crash since then. It's not the best solution or the nicer one but it works. Another solution is to manually changed the clocks, if some1 is still havening this problem. I hope thiss helps.