Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-H61M-USB3-B3 rev 2.0 BIOS error.

GA-H61M-USB3-B3 rev 2.0 BIOS error.
« on: April 13, 2012, 04:08:33 am »
This happened when I turned the computer two mornings ago:

1. Computer restarted itself (power on, power off cycles) itself in quick succession (1 or 2 seconds) 3 or 4 times in a row before actually loading the OS. I noticed some different things with the post screen but didn't think much of it.

2. Used it for a bit, then thought I better ghost the HD, which requires a restart to then boot off USB drive for the ghost program, so I restarted to enter BIOS to change the boot device list, but!

3. Upon restarting the computer restarted (power on, power off cycles) itself in quick succession (1 or 2 seconds) 3 or 4 times in a row, pressing "Del" allowed me to enter BIOS, I changed BIOS boot device list, saved and restarted.

5. Computer restarted (power on, power off cycles) itself in quick succession (1 or 2 seconds) 3 or 4 times in a row but did not boot off USB or anything, and instead I was greeted with the screen:

Warning: MAIN BIOS CHECKSUM ERROR!

Retreiving recovery source from HPA.... HPA BIOS not available!

Retreiving recovery source from Backup BIOS.... Done:
 Writing BIOS Image..... 4080K OK

6. When it hits 4080K the system restarts and the cycle begins over. Hitting the Del key doesn't make the system enter the BIOS settings screen.

System Details:

BIOS version: FE
CPU: i3 2130
RAM: Giel 4GB DDR3
Graphics: Nvidia Quadro FX 3700
HD: OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD
Power: Antec Phantom 500w

Any help much appreciated.

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
Re: GA-H61M-USB3-B3 rev 2.0 BIOS error.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 08:10:06 am »
Hi Joe-Trojan,

Have you verify connections about :

Power - verify PSU connections:

4-pin or 8-pin CPU Power

24-pin MOBO Power

6-pin graphic card connectors

Have you a Mobile GPU about Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 ?

Have you going into the BIOS, Load Fail Safe and Save CMOS , and reboot ?
Any change or not?

Otherwise, try this :

Check for defective and  incompatible memory,
Check with a powerfull PSU because your psu are probably or possibility a too weak PSU.

The MAIN BIOS CHECKSUM ERROR! appears if a memory module is broken or damaged.

Please test with only one and one module in the white slot closest to the CPU. You may download and run memtest86.exe from www.memtest86.com to test that your memory are in good condition.

Disconnect/unplug the HDDs at MOBO BEFORE execute memtest86 with a USB key.

Oher helpers members Lsdmeasap or Dark Mantis gives more instructions for your situation.

Gloup_Gloup
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 08:40:58 am by Gloup_Gloup »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 10:35:42 am »
Hi

I would agree that the most probable cause is a faulty memory module so remove all but one in the first slot and try booting. If it still fails try swapping them over and booting again.

If you get no joy there do an extended CMOS clear by following these instructions :

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery overnight before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Optimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self like disabling the floppy drive, disabling the full screen logo and making the HDD the primary boot device and then press F10 to save and exit.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 04:34:53 pm »
Thanks for the help so far.

Graphics is nvidia fx3700, not mobile, which would be fx3700m.

As suggested I checked all connections, disconnected all drives, I swapped the ram, tried a different power supply, removed the graphics card, so now it's just onboard, I pulled the battery and shorted for a good few minutes, and shorted pins CLR_CMOS, I can get into the bios settings by using a non-USB keyboard, loaded up an tried both default, then safe, then I went through and disabled all hardware. Now instead of incrementing up to 4080k, it just pauses on the same screen but without writing anything, and that's it.

Any other avenues or is this board dead?

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 04:52:34 pm »
Amendment: Bios version is FD.

One more thing, the post screen now comes up with some text I have not seen before, this is the same change I noticed when it first started playing up. Under the memory frequency it now reads:

"Waiting for ME ready.... 10"

And does a 10 second or so countdown, then it goes to the warning screen.

I will upload some screenshots tomorrow.

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 05:54:10 pm »
Hi friends,  ;)

Infos about HPA in Hidden Disk Areas.
Source : http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/access_ibm_en/hpa_aibm.pdf

HPA header section page 6. And Block Diagram,  same page.
The HPA header consists of two parts: a boot engineering extension record (BEER) and
a directory of services (DOS).

Check Data areas section, page 7.
Data areas provide storage and additional space for the bootable areas. Data areas
store recovery data, flash repair and recovery data, and Rapid Restore PC data (if it is
installed). An update area also exists that enables IBM to supply patches and updates
to the HPA areas.

------------------------
Host Protected Areas
Source : https://www.utica.edu/academic/institutes/ecii/publications/articles/EFE36584-D13F-2962-67BEB146864A2671.pdf
http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=UnRAID_Topical_Index#HPA

HPA a.k.a. why are two identical drives different sizes?
http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=10866.0

Maybe disconnect hard disk, CD-Rom and DVD... and try to go BIOS.

=======================
About : Waiting for ME ready.... 10
=======================

Read this web link page:
Z68XP-UD4 reset issue
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=6808.0

What are parameters in Bios about Ahci/ide/raid  ?

Gloup_Gloup

« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 06:21:09 pm by Gloup_Gloup »

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 03:49:04 am »
OK the HPA information opens up a can of worms. The hard drive used was previously hanging off a different Gigabyte mobo in a different system, but has never been used in any raid setup. Early after the problems on this sytem began I removed the hard drive and have since disconnected the only other drive, a Pioneer DVD burner. In this state with everything unplugged apart from a bare minimum skeleton system (psu, mb, cpu, one ram stick, ps2 keyboard, onboard graphics) the above posts of mine still apply.

Bios settings are IDE with no raid.

I will test the hard drive on a different system, and do all the processes outlined in the linked pages in relation to cleaning up HPA on the hard drive.

screenshots:

« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 04:04:50 am by Joe-Trojan »

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 06:38:31 am »
OK the HPA information opens up a can of worms. The hard drive used was previously hanging off a different Gigabyte mobo in a different system, but has never been used in any raid setup.
Bios settings are IDE with no raid.

I will test the hard drive on a different system, and do all the processes outlined in the linked pages in relation to cleaning up HPA on the hard drive.

Hi Joe-Trojan,  ;)

Topic: GUIDE: Removing HPA Partition with HDAT2
http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=6806.0

===============================================
General infos for new reader about MAIN BIOS CHECKSUM ERROR =
===============================================

http://www.gigabyte.com/webpage/8/article_04_bios_explained.htm

You have a possibility than situation are:
No matched BIOS are found in the HDD hidden partition
or
Can not find BIOS image in Hard Drive ...
or
Impossible Scanning Bios Image in hard drive (Precedent or actual... maybe)

Remove software Xpress Recovery technology.
and or GIGABYTE Xpress BIOS Rescue™ Technology, if applicable.

Clean Register Base in Windows.

EDIT01:
If you reboot the machine or switch this back on when its been turned off for a couple of hours ... have you a same problem or situation?

Gloup_Gloup
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 08:46:36 am by Gloup_Gloup »

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 12:45:00 pm »
I had turned the system off for many hours, but with battery still in with same scenario upon powering up. The battery has been out to clear everything for approx 19 hours now and I'll be back home in a couple of hours to find out if anything is different. Before I had only cleared by removing battery and shorting for a few minutes.

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 03:05:01 pm »
Hi Joe-Trojan,  ;)

After finish remove HPA Partition with HDAT2 or by other software or programs...

Do not forgot, applicate instructions :

Hi
Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Optimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self like disabling the floppy drive, disabling the full screen logo and making the HDD the primary boot device and then press F10 to save and exit.

Have you read and applicate instructions about this link ?

=======================
About : Waiting for ME ready.... 10
=======================

Read this web link page:
Z68XP-UD4 reset issue
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=6808.0

Gloup_Gloup

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 03:48:23 pm »
I was ready to point out that you hadn't done as asked but I see that you now have. Hopefully the extended clear of the CMOS will have helped and you can get back to normal.  :)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 06:43:10 am »
Work blew out for an additional 5 hours so I didn't do anything last night. I will go through everything as instructed when I get a chance in the next couple of days. Thanks again for the detailed instructions and information.

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 03:37:05 pm »
Extended cmos clear did not make any difference at all. Is updating to the latest bios likely to make any difference to this situation? Not that I can as it doesn't recognize any drives in q-flash, but it knows they are there in the bios. This is extremly frustrating and time wasting. I have built and trouble shooted countless systems but this one takes the cake, and at less than 3 months old.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 05:08:54 pm »
I think the best way forward now is to try and load the Backup BIOS over tjhe Main BIOS as it could be that the file itself is corrupt. I would agree that once you have full control of the system that upgrading to the latest BIOS version would be a good idea also to synchronise the two BIOS chips so that they are both holding the same version. Follow these instructions. It might take a few tries to get them to work as timing can be critical but don't despair.

You can kick in the backup BIOS by shutting down the PSU from the wall, then hold down your case power button in and then turn on the power supply button, a few seconds later the board will start, shut off the power supply then.   Then you can turn on the power supply again and power up the board normally and DualBIOS will kick in.

Once the BIOS has flashed over try installing the latest BIOS again now.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 02:22:37 am »
Thanks, will give it a shot later today.